|Pittsburgh Pirates – No. 5|
July 8, 1987 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|May 31, 2011 for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
(through 2013 season)
|Runs batted in||46|
Josh picked up baseball early, playing tee ball as early as three years old. Even before playing in the earliest of organized baseball, Josh would find any way to play the game. When he was younger, he would grab a fork out of the kitchen, grab a piece of paper, ball it up, and ask his older brother, Vince, to throw it to him.
Josh played SS at Princeton HS in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Prior to his professional career, Harrison played second base while attending the University of Cincinnati. In 2008, he was the Big East Conference's Co-Player of the Year. Harrison was drafted by the Chicago Cubs in the 6th round of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft becoming the first Bearcat drafted in the first ten rounds since Kevin Youkilis was taken in the eighth round of the 2001 MLB Draft by the Boston Red Sox.
Professional Baseball Career
He was drafted by the Chicago Cubs in the 6th round of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft. On July 30, 2009, the Cubs traded Harrison, along with Kevin Hart, and José Ascanio to the Pittsburgh Pirates for pitchers John Grabow and Tom Gorzelanny.
On July 30, 2009, the Cubs traded Harrison, along with Kevin Hart, and José Ascanio to the Pirates for pitchers John Grabow and Tom Gorzelanny. Harrison had his contract purchased by the Pirates on May 30, 2011. Harrison made his major league debut on May 31, 2011, and recorded his first Major League hit, off New York Mets pitcher R.A. Dickey. On May 18, 2012, he broke up Justin Verlander's no-hitter in the ninth inning, which would have been the third no-hitter of Verlander's career.
Harrison was optioned to the Triple-A Indianapolis Indians on April 14, 2013. He was recalled on May 7 when James McDonald was placed on the disabled list. Harrison was optioned back to Indianapolis on May 8 when Duke Welker was recalled. Harrison was optioned back to Indianapolis on May 31.
Harrison is the nephew of former Major League outfielder and current Milwaukee Brewers coach John Shelby. Harrison's brother, Vince Harrison, played minor league baseball from 2001-2011, before joining the Pirates organization as a player-coach.
- Williams, Tim (March 4, 2012). "The Harrison Brothers Making Their Way in the Pirates Organization".
- "UC Baseball's Josh Harrison Taken in Sixth Round by Cubs". GoBearcats.com. 5 June 2008.
- Staats, Wayne (July 30, 2009). "Pirates get three for Grabow, Gorzelanny".
- "Pirates place Doumit, Pearce on 15-day DL". Associated Press. Sacramento Bee. 30 May 2011.
- Singer, Tom (April 14, 2013). "Bucs send Harrison to Triple-A Indianapolis". mlb.com. Retrieved May 7, 2013.
- Wilmoth, Charlie (May 8, 2013). "Pirates promote Duke Welker, option Josh Harrison". Retrieved May 8, 2013.
- "Pirates Send Josh Harrison Back To Indianapolis, Recall Alex Presley". May 31, 2013. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- Williams, Tim (November 9, 2011). "Pirates Sign Six Minor League Free Agents".
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- The Harrison Brothers Making Their Way in the Pirates Organization