Outman with the Colorado Rockies
September 14, 1984 |
St. Louis, Missouri
|September 2, 2008 for the Oakland Athletics|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||4.43|
|Competitor for United States|
|Baseball World Cup|
|Gold||2007 Tianmu||National team|
Joshua S. Outman (born September 14, 1984) is an American professional baseball pitcher who is a free agent. He has pitched in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Oakland Athletics, Colorado Rockies, Cleveland Indians and New York Yankees.
Outman pitched for Forest Park Community College in Saint Louis, before transferring to the Central Missouri State. While playing for the Mules he posted a 10-2 record and helped the Mules finish third in the NCAA Division II World Series. Outman was one of five Mules drafted in the 2005 MLB Draft.
Outman was called up to the majors for the first time on September 2, 2008, and pitched two scoreless innings that night against the Kansas City Royals, striking out two. Outman's performance in the 2009 season gave him the fan nickname "Out-Man", because of his ability to get the easy outs. Outman's brother, Zachary, was selected by the Toronto Blue Jays, in the 28th round of the 2009 Major League Baseball Draft, out of Saint Louis University.
After a successful first half of the 2009 season starting 12 games for the Athletics. Outman was placed on the disabled list with an injury to his pitching elbow. Outman underwent Tommy John surgery, ending his season on June 30.
Outman, recovering from surgery, missed the entire 2010 season.
In 2011, Outman pitched 58.1 innings (starting 9 games), with a 3–5 record, 35 strikeouts and 3.70 ERA.
On January 14, 2014, Outman avoided arbitration after filing for arbitration earlier that morning. He was the first player to avoid arbitration in 2014. Cots Contracts reported that he had signed a 1 year/$1.25M contract.
On June 18, 2014, the Indians designated Outman for assignment.
New York Yankees
Josh Outman was acquired by the New York Yankees on August 28, 2014 in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations. He was designated for assignment on September 22. Outman elected free agency in October 2014.
Outman throws five pitches, relying most heavily on a four-seam fastball at 93–96 mph. He also throws a two-seamer (90–95), a slider (80–83), a changeup (78–83), and a curveball (low-to-mid 70s). His changeup is not thrown to left-handed hitters, but is a common pitch against right-handers. He uses his slider a great deal against lefties, but typically uses it against righties only in 2-strike counts. Throughout his career, the slider has been his best swing-and-miss pitch, with a whiff rate of 46% through June 2012.
- Scout.com: Josh Outman Profile
- Phillies acquire starter Blanton from A's
- "A's Outman done for year". Associated Press. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-09.
- Rockies Press Release (January 16, 2012). "Rockies acquire RHP Guillermo Moscoso and LHP Josh Outman from Oakland in exchange for OF Seth Smith". ColoradoRockies.com.
- "Indians acquire LHP Josh Outman". ESPN.com. Associated Press. December 18, 2013. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- "Cot's Baseball Contracts - Cleveland Indians". Retrieved June 18, 2014.
- "Indians activate McAllister, designate Outman". ESPN.com. Associated Press. June 18, 2014. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- "Yankees acquire LHP Outman from Indians". Associated Press (ESPN.com). August 28, 2014. Retrieved August 28, 2014.
- Polishuk, Mark (October 6, 2014). "Players Who Have Elected Minor League Free Agency". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved October 6, 2014.
- "Brooks Baseball · Home of the PitchFX Tool - Player Card: Josh Outman". Brooks Baseball. Retrieved 28 June 2012.