Josh Outman during his tenure with the Rockies.
September 14, 1984 |
St. Louis, Missouri
|Bats: Left||Throws: Left|
|September 2, 2008 for the Oakland Athletics|
(through June 17, 2014)
|Earned run average||4.49|
|Competitor for United States|
|Baseball World Cup|
|Gold||2007 Tianmu||National team|
Outman pitched for Forest Park Community College in Saint Louis, before transferring to the Central Missouri State. While playing for the Mules he posted a 10-2 record and helped the Mules finish third in the NCAA Division II World Series. Outman was one of five Mules drafted in the 2005 MLB Draft.
Outman was called up to the majors for the first time on September 2, 2008, and pitched two scoreless innings that night against the Kansas City Royals, striking out two. Outman's performance in the 2009 season gave him the fan nickname "Out-Man", because of his ability to get the easy outs. Outman's brother, Zachary, was selected by the Toronto Blue Jays, in the 28th round of the 2009 Major League Baseball Draft, out of Saint Louis University.
After a successful first half of the 2009 season starting 12 games for the Athletics. Outman was placed on the disabled list with an injury to his pitching elbow. Outman underwent Tommy John surgery, ending his season on June 30.
Outman, recovering from surgery, missed the entire 2010 season.
In 2011, Outman pitched 58.1 innings (starting 9 games), with a 3–5 record, 35 strikeouts and 3.70 ERA.
On January 14, 2014, Outman avoided arbitration after filing for arbitration earlier that morning. He was the first player to avoid arbitration in 2014. Cots Contracts reported that he had signed a 1 year/$1.25M contract.
On June 18, 2014, the Indians designated Outman for assignment.
Outman throws five pitches, relying most heavily on a four-seam fastball at 93–96 mph. He also throws a two-seamer (90–95), a slider (80–83), a changeup (78–83), and a curveball (low-to-mid 70s). His changeup is not thrown to left-handed hitters, but is a common pitch against right-handers. He uses his slider a great deal against lefties, but typically uses it against righties only in 2-strike counts. Throughout his career, the slider has been his best swing-and-miss pitch, with a whiff rate of 46% through June 2012.
- Scout.com: Josh Outman Profile
- Phillies acquire starter Blanton from A's
- "A's Outman done for year". Associated Press. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-09.
- Rockies Press Release (January 16, 2012). "Rockies acquire RHP Guillermo Moscoso and LHP Josh Outman from Oakland in exchange for OF Seth Smith". ColoradoRockies.com.
- "Indians acquire LHP Josh Outman". ESPN.com. Associated Press. December 18, 2013. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- "Cot's Baseball Contracts - Cleveland Indians". Retrieved June 18, 2014.
- "Indians activate McAllister, designate Outman". ESPN.com. Associated Press. June 18, 2014. Retrieved June 19, 2014.
- "Brooks Baseball · Home of the PitchFX Tool - Player Card: Josh Outman". Brooks Baseball. Retrieved 28 June 2012.