Roenicke with the Cincinnati Reds
August 4, 1982 |
|September 13, 2008 for the Cincinnati Reds|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||4.17|
Joshua James Roenicke (born August 4, 1982) is an American professional baseball pitcher who is currently in the Milwaukee Brewers organization. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Cincinnati Reds, Toronto Blue Jays, Colorado Rockies and Minnesota Twins.
Roenicke was drafted by the Cincinnati Reds in the 10th round of the 2006 Major League Baseball Draft out of UCLA where he was both an outfielder and a relief pitcher, as well as a defensive back and kick returner on the UCLA football team. Beginning his professional career with the Gulf Coast Reds, Roenicke pitched 8 innings and gave up only one run. He was promoted to the Rookie level Billings Mustangs where he finished 2006. He began 2007 with the High-A Sarasota Reds before being promoted to Double-A Chattanooga. Combined, he had a 3–2 record with a 2.31 ERA, 56 strikeouts, and 24 saves. Roenicke remained in Chattanooga to begin 2008, but was promoted to Triple-A Louisville after 22 appearances. In 35 games for Louisville, he had a 2.54 ERA and was promoted to the majors on September 9.
Toronto Blue Jays
In 2 seasons with the Blue Jays, Roenicke went 1-0 with a 6.38 ERA in 29 games
In 2 seasons with the Rockies, Roenicke went 4-2 with a 3.33 ERA in 82 games, most of them coming in 2012.
Roenicke signed a minor league deal with the Colorado Rockies on August 12, 2014.
Roenicke signed a minor league with the Brewers on February 12.
Roenicke throws five pitches. He has a four-seam fastball thrown at 91–95 mph, a two-seam fastball at 91–94, a slider (82–86), a curveball (76–79), and an occasional changeup (83–85). He does not use his changeup against right-handed hitters. His primary fastball against righties is the four-seamer, while he leans toward the two-seamer against lefties. Despite average to above-average whiff rates on his pitches, he strikes hitters out a rate well below one per inning.
Roenicke, who grew up in Nevada City, California, comes from a baseball family as his brother Jason plays in Toronto's minor league system, his father Gary played 12 major league seasons from 1976–1988 and is currently a scout in the Baltimore Orioles organization, and his uncle Ron played 8 seasons from 1981–1988 and is currently the manager of the Milwaukee Brewers.
- "Former UCLA Standout Josh Roenicke Makes Major League Debut". September 13, 2008, UCLAbruins.com. Retrieved on September 19, 2008.
- "June 2011 Transactions". MLB.com. Retrieved June 2, 2011.
- Wagner, James (February 14, 2014). "Nationals ink reliever Josh Roenicke, Ian Desmond's brother-in-law, to minor league deal". The Washington Post. Retrieved February 14, 2014.
- "Brooks Baseball · Home of the PitchFX Tool - Player Card: Josh Roenicke". Brooks Baseball. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- "Josh Roenicke Statistics and History". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- "Former UCLA Bruins Standout Josh Roenicke Promoted to Cincinnati Reds". September 9, 2008, UCLAbruins.com. Retrieved on September 19, 2008.
- Rosencrans, C. Trent (June 28, 2012). "Nats' Ian Desmond takes brother-in-law deep". CBSSports.com. Retrieved March 5, 2014.