||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (November 2013)|
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011)|
Josh Rouse, Sesc Vila Mariana, São Paulo, Brazil
August 15, 2008
Paxton, Nebraska, United States
|Origin||Tennessee, United States|
|Associated acts||She's Spanish, I'm American|
Born in the small town of Paxton, Nebraska, he moved to various places in the Midwest during his childhood due to his father's military career. Following his time at Austin Peay State University, he eventually settled down in Tennessee, where he met some local musicians and began recording.
The initial recordings he put to tape eventually became his debut release, Dressed Up Like Nebraska. Released to critical acclaim, it allowed him to tour and begin performing full time, eventually releasing a second album, Home, in 2000. His songs would later be featured on a variety of television shows and movie soundtracks.
In 2002, Rouse released Under Cold Blue Stars, his first for Rykodisc. Following a tour with Guster, he would release another album, 1972. A concept album of sorts, in the style of songwriters from the time of his birth, it was released in 2003. In 2005, he released Nashville, which featured the single "Winter in the Hamptons". In 2006, Subtítulo, was released, which corresponded with his move to Spain.
Along with his normal full-length albums, Rouse occasionally releases EPs featuring demos and alternate takes on his personal Bedroom Classics label. The volumes are usually limited to small numbers in release, and for sale only through his website or at live performances. In 2007, Rouse released a duet EP with Paz Suay under the moniker She's Spanish, I'm American.
A new album, Country Mouse City House, was released July 2007. The album was promoted by a US tour in September and October, followed by a European tour in November and December.
In April 2008, Josh announced his official website www.joshrouse.com will become Bedroom Classics Closet Archives, where for a yearly subscription users can download rare and unreleased recordings in MP3 format. The first three of these releases are a complete live recording of December 7, 2007 performance at The Shepherds Bush Empire in London; 4 additional recordings from an April 20, 2006 KCRW radio performance with a string quartet (the rest of this performance is available of the digital EP 'Guitar and Strings') and the 5 track Bedroom Classics Vol.3, featuring 4 new original compositions and a cover of Mother Love Bone's Chloe Dancer.
On October 13, 2009 Josh released an ep titled "Valencia EP". The four song ep included the title track which also is a featured track on Rouse's album, "El Turista". "El Turista" was released February 2, 2010 in the United States and February 1, 2010 in the rest of the world.
As of June 2011, a promised new release with a new band, "Josh Rouse and the Long Vacations" has been slated for Autumn/Fall with a pre-sale slated for mid-Summer. A preview of a new track - "Diggin' In The Sand" from the forthcoming album can be heard for an undisclosed period of time at www.noisetrade.com along with a selection of previously released material.
In March 2013, Rouse released The Happiness Waltz.
- Dressed Up Like Nebraska (1998)
- Home (2000)
- Under Cold Blue Stars (2002)
- 1972 (2003)
- Nashville (2005)
- Subtítulo (2006)
- Country Mouse City House (2007)
- El Turista (2010)
- Josh Rouse and The Long Vacations (2011)
- The Happiness Waltz (2013)
EPs and Mini-Albums
- Chester - Josh Rouse & Kurt Wagner (1999)
- Bedroom Classics, Vol. 1 (2001)
- Bedroom Classics, Vol. 2 (2005)
- She's Spanish, I'm American - Josh Rouse with Paz Suay (2007)
- Bedroom Classics, Vol. 3 (2008)
- The Smooth Sounds of Josh Rouse (2004)
- The Best Of The Rykodisk Years (2008)
- "Directions" (2000)
- "Christmas With Jesus" (2001)
- "Feeling No Pain" (2002)
- "Nothing Gives Me Pleasure" (2002)
- "Love Vibration" (2003)
- "Come Back (Light Therapy)" (2004)
- "Winter In The Hamptons" (2005)
- "It's The Nighttime" (2005)
- "A Thousand Wishes Don't Mean No Kisses." (2006)
- Kcrw.Com Presents... Josh Rouse Live With Guitar & Strings (download) - (2006)
- Live Shepherds Bush Empire December 7th 2007 (download) - (2008)
- KCRW Morning Becomes Eclectic April 20, 2006 Outtakes (download) - (2008)
- Valencia EP (download) - Bedroom Classics - (2009)
- Ankeny, Jason and Tim Sendra. Josh Rouse > Biography. Josh Rouse artist page on AMG All Media Guide, 2006.
- Official site
- Official Myspace Profile
- Josh Rouse Forum at Nettwerk
- Interview, Something Glorious, Apr 2006
- Interview, HitQuarters Nov 2009
- Josh Rouse Signature Guitar