|Cleveland Indians – No. 43|
October 19, 1984 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|July 27, 2010 for the Cleveland Indians|
(through 2012 season)
|Earned run average||4.95|
Tomlin attended Whitehouse High School, Angelina College, and Texas Tech University. He was drafted by the San Diego Padres in the 11th round of the 2005 Major League Baseball Draft, but did not sign. He was drafted again by the Cleveland Indians in the 19th round of the 2006 Major League Baseball Draft, and did sign.
At Columbus, Tomlin went 8–4 with a 2.68 ERA in 20 appearances, including 17 starts. He has an overall minor-league record of 51–24 with a 3.20 ERA.
On May 7, 2012, Tomlin pitched a no-decision with a career-high 8 strikeouts in a win versus the White Sox. The following day Tomlin reported soreness in his wrist and was placed on the 15-day disabled list after undergoing a MRI which revealed inflammation to soft tissue. In July, holding a 5-5 record and 5.45 ERA and recording at least six innings in just 7 of 13 starts (compared to 23 of 26 in all of 2011), Tomlin stated, "Last year, they could count on me to save the bullpen. It's bothered me that I've been like that. It's frustrating." On August 21, 2012, Tomlin underwent Tommy John surgery and was eliminated for the rest of the 2012 season and is expected to miss the entire 2013 season.
Pitching style 
Tomlin throws five pitches. He has a four-seam fastball (87–91 mph), a two-seam fastball (86–90), a cut fastball (83–88), a curveball (74–77), and a changeup (low 80s). The changeup is used against left-handed hitters, and Tomlin uses his curveball often in two-strike counts. Tomlin walks very few hitters, averaging only 1.6 walks per 9 innings through his first 333 innings. He had the lowest walk rate, 1.1 per 9 innings, in the Major Leagues in 2011.
- Josh Tomlin to start Tuesday for Indians vs. Yankees' CC Sabathia The Plain Dealer (Cleveland.com)
- Bastian, Jordan (May 8, 2012). "Sipp helps shorted-handed Tribe sweep DH". Indians.com. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- "Fantasy Player News & Updates". Indians.com. May 12, 2012. Retrieved May 16, 2012.
- Pluto, Terry (16 July 2012). "Josh Tomlin needs to find 2011 form". The Plain Dealer. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- "Cleveland Indians - TeamReport". Chicago Tribune. April 4, 2013. Retrieved April 6, 2013.
- "PITCHf/x Player Card: Josh Tomlin". BrooksBaseball.net. Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- "Josh Tomlin Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- Josh Tomlin to start Tuesday for Indians vs. Yankees' CC Sabathia The Plain Dealer
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)