- This article is about the family name Joshi. For other uses and people with the name, see Joshi (disambiguation).
The Joshi family is a highly esteemed family with a distinguished family background. The Joshi family are very well known for owning many properties, and large pieces of land in India. Joshi's have featured in many different careers. Many were ministers, officers, merchant, Doctors and Nurses, Lawyers, and some were involved in politics.
Joshi (occasionally transliterated as "Joshi") is a surname with its origins in India and Nepal. The name is derived from the Sanskrit word Jyotsyar. Joshi is a common family name in the Indian states of Maharashtra, Gujarat, Punjab, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Odisha, Uttarakhand, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Konkan, Goa as well as in Nepal.
- Devang Joshi: The brave little warrior who didn't fail Drill SGT Wells, thereby avoiding a thunderkick.
- Admiral Devendra Kumar Joshi: Chief of Naval Staff of the Indian Navy.
- Murli Manohar Joshi: Indian Politician, (Bharatiya Janta Party), currently President, Committee on Public Accounts.
- Manohar Joshi: Indian Politician (Shiv Sena)
- Comrade P.C. Joshi: Indian leader
- Comrade Chandra Deo Joshi: Nepali Communist leader and Former Minister of Nepal
- Govinda Raj Joshi: Nepali Politician (Nepali congress)
- Rita Bahuguna Joshi: Indian Politician (Indian National Congress)
- General B.C. Joshi: Late Chief of Army
- Sharad Anantrao Joshi: Indian Politician (Shetkari Sanghatana).
- C. P. Joshi: Indian Politician (Indian National Congress), currently Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, Govt. of India.
- Prahalad Joshi : BJP Karnataka President
- Priyanka Joshi
- Vyomesh Joshi: Member, Board of Directors, Yahoo
- Maulik Joshi: Assistant Manager, Apex Healthcare Limited, (MNC)
Writers, educators and scholars
- S.T. Joshi : Prominent Indian-American editor, critic, and scholar.
- Anandi Gopal Joshi : First Indian Woman to award western medicine degree.
- Aravind Joshi: Professor of Computer and Cognitive Science at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Manohar Shyam Joshi: post-modern Hindi writer and Father of Indian soap operas
- Umashankar Joshi: Gujarati poet.
- Shekhar Joshi: Hindi author.
- Prasoon Joshi: Hindi lyricist.
- Sharad Joshi: Hindi writer and satirist, Padma Shri awardee
- Chintaman Vinayak Joshi: Marathi humorist. Author of "Chimanrao" series of books.
- Mahadevshastri Joshi: Marathi writer.
- Professor Shyamdas Joshi, Retired professor and Writer
- Haridutt Joshi: Senior Journalist in Hindi Newspaper In Punjab
- [[Durgesh Joshi "Sugam"]]: Hindi & Rajasthani Poet.
Artists and performers
- Bhimsen Joshi, Bharat Ratna, vocalist of Hindustani classical music
- Gajananrao Joshi, violinist and vocalist Hindustani Classical Music
- Damayanti Joshi, Kathak dancer and guru
- Gayatri Joshi, Indian Actress
- Tulip Joshi, Indian Actress, model
- Pallavi Joshi, Indian Actress, winner of National award for the film Woh Chokri
- Dilip Joshi, Hindi and Gujarati Actor
- Manoj Joshi, Gujarati, Marathi and Hindi Actor
- Sudhir Joshi, Marathi Actor.
- Swapnil Joshi, Marathi Actor
- Prasoon Joshi, Bollywood Lyricist
- Sharman Joshi, Bollywood Actor
- Purbi Joshi, Indian Actress
- Nupur Joshi, Actress from Indian Origin
- Nivedita Joshi, Marathi Actress
- Sunil Joshi (cricket), played for Indian cricket team as left arm spinner in one day international and test match cricket.
- Arun Joshi, Development Engineer, Hobart GmbH, Germany
- Mahesh Joshi, Port Qasim Authority, Karachi, Pakistan
- Deepak H. Joshi and Sagar H. Joshi Software Engineers
- Kamal Joshi, Bosch Sensortec GmbH, Germany
- Pavan Kumar Joshi, Aditya Birla Group.
- Nitin Nandkumar Joshi, Nashik.
- Devang Yeshwant Joshi,Engineering Consultant, Bhadrashilp Consultant, Rajkot, gujarat, India.
- Office of the Registrar General [India] (1968). Census of India, 1961. 8, Part 6, Issue 10. Manager of Publications. p. 33.