October 30, 1981 |
Joshua Jay (born October 30, 1981) is an award-winning magician, author, and lecturer who has performed his show in over 59 countries. In 1998 he was crowned World Champion of Close-up Magic at the World Magic Seminar, and he has subsequently appeared on every major television network. Notably, he has performed on Good Morning America and the Today Show. He is the author of seven books on magic, including the best-selling MAGIC: The Complete Course [Workman, 2008], which is available in four languages. Jay specializes in close-up magic and is a headliner at the famous Magic Castle in Hollywood. He attended Ohio State University, where he was a member of the Sigma Alpha Mu fraternity. Joshua Jay currently resides in New York City.
TV appearances 
- Discovery Channel's Grand Illusions: The Story of Magic
- Fox Network's Lance Burton's Young Magician's Showcase
- NHK's Magic of America (Japanese National Television)
- NBC's TODAY SHOW (two appearances)
- ABC’s Good Morning America
- The Daily Buzz (broadcast on the Spike Network)
- Brad Meltzer's Decoded (Broadcast on the History Channel)
As Author 
Joshua Jay has become one of the most prolific writers of the contracting literary scene in magic. Nearly all his books have been translated into other languages, and two titles have been published for the public, MAGIC: The Complete Course and The Amazing Book of Cards (Workman Publishing). He is also the publisher of many titles, through his company Vanishing Inc Magic with magician Andi Gladwin.
- "Overlap (2005)"
- "Joshua Jay's Magic Atlas (1999)"
- "A Teens Routines (1998)"
- "Session: The Magic of Joel Givens (2004)"
- "Magic: The Complete Course (Book & DVD) (2008)"
- "Joshua Jay's Amazing Book Of Cards (Book & DVD) (2010)"
- His award-winning book "Joshua Jay's Magic Atlas" has been translated into German, Japanese, and French.
- "Destroyers: The Magic of Troy Hooser (2001)"
- "Moments: More Magic of Troy Hooser (2010)"
- Jay was a featured contributor in The Linking Ring magazine in May 2010(he also appeared on that issue's cover)
First place awards include:
- 2011 Merlin Literary Achievement Award
- World Magic Seminar, 1998 First Place Champion (Presented by Lance Burton)
- International Battle of Magicians (twice, 1996 and 1998)
- Columbus Magi Fest
- Kleinman Incentive Award, Most Promising Youth (SAM National Convention)
- Best Published Trick, Award for Creativity (Linking Ring magazine)
- Youngest magician to write One-Man-Parade (twenty page exposition of original effects) in Linking Ring magazine
- Society of American Magicians Close-Up Magician of the Year Award 2011
- "Close Up, Up Close: Volumes 1 – 3"
- "Talk About Tricks 1-3"
- Talk About Tricks (Magic magazine)
- Under, Over ("M-U-M magazine")
- Official website
- Magic magazine
- Vanishing Inc. Magic - Joshua's publication company that he co-founded with fellow magician Andi Gladwin.
- Warren, Bobby (May 2010). "Moving Forward with Joshua Jay". The Linking Ring 90 (5): 1, 28–31.
- Jay, Joshua (May 2010). "Hocus Pocus Parade". The Linking Ring 90 (5): 87–100.