August 11, 1969 |
|Alma mater||Yale University, Harvard University|
|Practice||REX, Office for Metropolitan Architecture (OMA)|
|Buildings||Seattle Central Library, AT&T Performing Arts Center Dee and Charles Wyly Theatre, Vakko Fashion Center and Power Media Center, Guggenheim-Hermitage Museum, Museum Plaza, Kotrijk Central Library|
Joshua Ramus (born August 11, 1969) is an American architect. Ramus is Principal of REX, an internationally acclaimed architecture and design firm based in New York City. REX recently completed the AT&T Performing Arts Center Dee and Charles Wyly Theatre in Dallas, Texas and the Vakko Fashion Center and Power Media Center in Istanbul, Turkey, both opened to critical acclaim. The Wyly Theatre received the American Institute of Architects' 2010 National Honor Award and the Vakko Fashion Center was presented with the Wallpaper* Design Award 2011 for Best Workspace, ICON Magazine's 2011 One of the World's Coolest Offices and ArchDaily's 2010 Office Building of the Year. Work in progress includes the new Central Library and Music Conservatory for the city of Kortrijk, Belgium; and a 2,643,000-square-foot (245,500 m2) luxury housing complex in the heart of Seoul, Korea. Notably, within the past two years REX received second prize in the international competition for the new Edvard Munch Museum in Oslo, Norway, and was a finalist in the international competitions for the new Victoria & Albert Museum in Dundee, Scotland and the Finnish Innovation Fund’s Low2No sustainable development in Helsinki, Finland.
Ramus was the founding partner of OMA New York—the American affiliate of the Office for Metropolitan Architecture (OMA)/Rem Koolhaas in the Netherlands—and served as its Principal until he left to create REX in 2006. While REX was still known as OMA New York, Prince-Ramus was Partner in Charge of the Guggenheim-Hermitage Museum in Las Vegas and the Seattle Central Library, hailed as TIME magazine’s "2004 Building of the Year" and by the late New York Times architecture critic Herbert Muschamp as “the most exciting new building it has been my honor to review in more than 30 years of writing about architecture.” In 2005, the Seattle Central Library was awarded the highest honors bestowed by the American Institute of Architects (AIA), the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC), and the American Library Association (ALA). In 2010, the Wyly Theatre similarly received the top awards conferred by the AIA and ACEC.
Ramus was recently described as the “savior of American architecture” by Esquire magazine. Additionally, he has been identified as one of “The 20 Essential Young Architects” by Icon magazine, as one of the world’s most influential young architects by Wallpaper*, and as one of the twenty most influential players in design by Fast Company.
Ramus is a member of the TED Brain Trust—along with thinkers such as Bill Gates, Craig Venter, Dean Kamen, Jeff Bezos, Larry Page, and Sergey Brin—and was a speaker at the TED2006 and TEDxSMU conferences. Videos of Ramus’ TEDTalks, in which he describes the designs of the Seattle Central Library, the AT&T Performing Arts Center’s Dee and Charles Wyly Theatre, and Museum Plaza, can be found at www.TED.com.
Ramus received a Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy with distinction from Yale University in 1991 and a Master of Architecture from Harvard University in 1996, where he was both an SOM Fellow and the first Araldo Cossutta Fellow. He was the Eero Saarinen Visiting Professor at the Yale School of Architecture, and a visiting professor at the Harvard Graduate School of Design, the Columbia University Graduate School of Architecture, Planning, and Preservation, and the Syracuse School of Architecture. Ramus is an NCARB certified architect, and holds licenses in Florida, Kentucky, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, and The Netherlands.
- Museum Plaza (2012) (projected), Louisville, Kentucky
- Vakko Headquarters and Power Media Center (2010), Istanbul, Turkey
- AT&T Performing Arts Center’s Dee and Charles Wyly Theatre (2009), Dallas, Texas
- Munch Museum (2009), Oslo, Norway
- Munch Area Master Plan (2009), Oslo, Norway
- Kortrijk LLLibrary (2009), Kortrijk, Belgium
- Kunsthaus Zurich Extension Competition (2009), Zurich, Switzerland
- Madison Avenue (Doll)House for the Calvin Klein Collection storefront on Madison Avenue (2008), New York, New York
- Forward Residence for the Forward Building (2008), New York, New York
- Yongsan Experiment (2008), Seoul, Korea
- Vestbane (2007), Oslo, Norway
- Governors Island Competition (2007), New York, New York
- Walter & Leonore Annenberg Center for Information Science and Technology at the California Institute of Technology (2006) Pasadena, California
- Seattle Central Library (2004), Seattle, Washington
- Guggenheim-Hermitage Museum and Guggenheim Las Vegas Museum (2001) Las Vegas, Nevada
- Joshua Ramus: Designing the Seattle Central Library 2006, 19 minutes, 58 seconds, color. www.TED.com.
- Joshua Ramus: Building a theater that remakes itself 2009, 18 minutes, 42 seconds, color. www.TED.com.
- Joshua Ramus, see conference #6, 09 April 2011' 2011, 1 hour, 6 minutes, 7 seconds, color. www.vimeo.com.
- Matt Chaban, Unveiled: Kortrijk BibLLLiotheek - REX masters another library The Architect's Newspaper, August 10, 2009
- Ridhika Naidoo, REX architecture: sitra - low2no sustainable development, finland designboom, October 7, 2009
- Robin Pogrebin, Joshua Ramus Leaving Koolhaas's O.M.A. to Start New Architecture Firm, The New York Times, May 14, 2006
- Richard Lacayo, TIME 2004 Best and Worst: Architecture, TIME, 2004
- Herbert Muschamp, The Library That Puts on Fishnets and Hits the Disco, The New York Times, May 16, 2004
- Scott Raab, The Young Savior of American Architecture Burying Frank Gehry, Esquire, December 12, 2008
- Justin McGuirk, The 20 Essential Young Architects, Icon, April 2008
- Jeremy Langmead,  Wallpaper*, October 2006
- Jena McGregor, The Architect of a Different Kind of Organization, Fast Company, June 2005
- Joshua Prince-Ramus, Joshua -Ramus: Designing the Seattle Central Library, TED.com, July 2006
- Joshua Prince-Ramus, Joshua Ramus: Building a theatre that remakes itself, TED.com, January 2010
- Yale School of Architecture, The Eero Saarinen Visiting Professorship of Architectural Design, Yale School of Architecture, November 2007
- Joshua Ramus: Designing the Seattle Central Library at TED
- Joshua Ramus Profile on TED.com
- Joshua Ramus interview
- Gendall, John (2007-09-19). "REX Marks Its First Year". Architectural Record. pp. n. pag. Retrieved 2007-11-02.
- Pogrebin, Robin (2006-05-14). "Joshua Ramus Leaving Koolhaas's O.M.A. to Start New Architecture Firm". The New York Times. pp. n. pag. Retrieved 2007-11-02.
- Interview in Future by Design on Forbes.com