Tauberer created GovTrack to make legislative information more easily accessible to everyone, providing research and tracking tools but also raw data feeds that third-parties use to create other services. He conceived the idea for GovTrack during his freshman year at Princeton. The utility of the data that Tauberer made available on his site (and later became available on other sites) was part of the inspiration for Congressman Mike Honda's legislation to provide new sources of legislative data for public repurposing.
Tauberer holds a Doctorate in Linguistics from the University of Pennsylvania.
He graduated from Princeton University in 2004, and previously attended Plainview-Old Bethpage John F. Kennedy High School in Plainview, New York.
- About GovTrack.us
- Hacking is used here in its original sense of "enthusiast computer programming (to improve life in some way)"; see also http://razor.occams.info/civictech.xpd .
- , accessed 2010-01-03.
- Think Your Lawmakers Don't Read Bills? Do It Yourself, The Washington Post, 2006-03-01, accessed 2010-01-03.
- How Did They Vote? Updates by E-Mail of Congressional Ayes and Nays, The New York Times, 2005-01-27, accessed 2010-01-03.
- An API for Federal Legislation? Congress Wants Your Opinion, Wired.com, 2009-03-05, accessed 2010-01-03.
- Congressional Data Mining: Coming Soon?, Mother Jones, 2009-03-05, accessed 2010-01-03.
- Data crusader, Princeton Alumni Weekly, 2008-07-16, accessed 2010-01-03.
- Joshua Tauberer's Homepage
- Civic Impulse, LLC
- A conversation with Joshua Tauberer about GovTrack
- Tracking the US Congress on Jon Udell's Interviews with Innovators
- GovTrack opens up information on US legislature by Linux.com
- Data crusader by Princeton Alumni Weekly
|This biographical article about a United States activist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a United States linguist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of an American political scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|