Josip Perković (Ličko Novo Selo, 17 May 1945) is a former director of the Yugoslav-era Croatian secret police, the State Security Service (Služba državne sigurnosti, SDS),[Note 1] wanted by Germany for his involvement in the assassination of Croatian defector Stjepan Đureković.
Perković was implicated in the murder of Croatian emigrant Stjepan Đureković in the 2008 trial of Krunoslav Prates. In 2009 the Federal Criminal Police of Germany issued a warrant for Perković's arrest.
The Croatian constitution prevents the extradition of Croatian nationals. Because of this, and Croatian authorities' reluctance to try him themselves, Perković has lived freely in Croatia since the warrant was issued. Upon the accession of Croatia to the European Union, Croatia has made constitutional amendments which allow for the extradition of wanted individuals to fellow EU states, although due to recent changes by the Croatian Parliament, the law would prevent extradition for crimes committed prior August 2, 2002, which is the date when the European Arrest Warrant came into force, thus omitting the 1983 murder of Đureković in which Perković is implicated. CDU's Gunther Krichbaum expressed discontent stating this was a political move by the Croatian Government with the intent of making an ad hoc law exclusively protecting Perković from extradition.
The situation has negatively impacted Croatian–German relations.
Perković was arrested in Zagreb on 1 January 2014 and extradited to Germany on 24 January.
- The State Security Service (SDB or SDS) was the federal secret police of Yugoslavia. At all times the secret police was best known by its old acronym UDBA, which is derived from the initials of its original name in the Serbian variant of the Serbo-Croatian language: Uprava državne bezbednosti (armije) (meaning "State Security Administration (of the Army)"). In its latter decades, it was composed of six semi-independent secret police organizations (of the same name) for each one of the six Yugoslav federal republics - coordinated by the central federal office. Perković belonged to the Croatian organization.
- Tko je Josip Perković?
- U Njemačkoj uhićen bivši jugoslavenski agent zbog ubojstva Stjepana Đurekovića, Slobodna Dalmacija
- Traže ih zbog krađe, trgovine ljudima, šverca oružja, prijevara...
- Gunther Krichbaum (CDU): Čekali ste da potpišemo pa mijenjali zakon, to prijatelji ne rade!
- "Croatia ex-spy Josip Perkovic extradited to Germany". bbc.com. BBC. 24 January 2014. Retrieved 9 March 2014.