Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery
|Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery|
|Abbreviated title (ISO 4)||J. Bone Joint Surg. Am.|
|Edited by||Vernon T. Tolo, MD|
|Publisher||The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Inc.|
The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, also known as Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, American Volume (J. Bone Joint Surg. Am.), is a peer reviewed medical journal in the field of orthopedic surgery. It is published by the non-profit corporation The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Inc., dba Striatus Orthopaedic Communications.
The journal was established as the Transactions of the American Orthopedic Association in 1889, published by the American Orthopedic Association. In 1903, volume 16 of the Transactions became the first volume of the American Journal of Orthopedic Surgery, which was later renamed Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery in 1919 and also became the official journal of the British Orthopaedic Association in addition to the American Orthopedic Association. In 1921, it renamed itself Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery.
The journal became the organ of the newly founded American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons in 1933. A British volume was established in 1948, using the name under license from the American volume. In 1954, the American journal incorporated itself as a non-profit organization (The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, Inc.). The British volume was published by The British Editorial Society of Bone and Joint Surgery, a registered charity in the UK. The American and British volumes of J. Bone Joint Surg. were completely independent of each other, and had completely different content. The advertising content and sales of either volume were handled jointly until January 2012.
Occasional additional supplements are bundled with the American volume subscription, sometimes in print and sometimes available only online. For the British subscription, three or four free issues of the Orthopaedic Proceedings Supplement were included each year.
In January 2013, the British volume changed its title to The Bone and Joint Journal.
Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, American volume is the official scientific journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and is affiliated with:
Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, British volume (now titled The Bone and Joint Journal) was the official journal of these associations:
- Australian Orthopaedic Association
- British Orthopaedic Association
- British Orthopaedic Research Society
- Canadian Orthopaedic Association
- Canadian Orthopaedic Research Society
- European Federation of National Associations of Orthopaedics and Traumatology
- European Orthopaedic Research Society
- Irish Orthopaedic Association
- New Zealand Orthopaedic Association
- South African Orthopaedic Association
- "Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume". National Library of Australia. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- "Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, British Volume". National Library of Australia. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- "Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume". Silverchair Information Systems. 6 August 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- "Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, British Volume". HighWire Press. 20 December 2004. Retrieved 2011-01-22.
- H.R. Cowell (2000). "A brief history of the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery". Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research (374): 136–44. PMID 10818974.
- "History". About the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. Retrieved 2011-01-22.