The Journal of Finance
|The Journal of Finance|
|Abbreviated title (ISO 4)||J. Finance|
|Discipline||Finance, economics, business|
|Edited by||Kenneth Singleton|
|Publisher||Wiley-Blackwell for the American Finance Association|
The Journal of Finance is a peer-reviewed academic journal published by Wiley-Blackwell on behalf of the American Finance Association. It was established in 1946. Its current editor-in-chief is Kenneth Singleton (Stanford University). The Journal of Finance, the Review of Financial Studies, and the Journal of Financial Economics are considered the three most prestigious finance journals. The Journal of Finance is among the most highly cited journals in the field of finance: In 2009, according to the Journal Citation Reports, it had a 2009 impact factor of 4.151, ranking it second out of 76 journals in the category "Business/Finance" and 5th out of 305 in the category "Economics". It is listed as one of the 45 journals used by the Financial Times to compile its business-school research ranks and Bloomberg Businessweek's Top 20 Journals.
In 1989 it established the Smith Breeden Prize.
Past editors of the journal have been:
- Marshall Ketchum (University of Chicago, 1946-1955)
- Harold Fraine (University of Wisconsin–Madison, 1956-1958)
- Joel Segall (University of Chicago, 1958-1960)
- Harold Fraine (University of Wisconsin–Madison, 1961-1963)
- Lawrence Ritter (New York University, 1964-1966)
- Dudley Luckett (Iowa State University, 1967-1970)
- Alexander A. Robichek (Stanford University, 1971-1973)
- Jack M. Guttentag (University of Pennsylvania, 1974-1977)
- Marshall E. Blume (University of Pennsylvania, 1977-1980)
- Michael J. Brennan (University of British Columbia, 1980-1983)
- Edwin J. Elton and Martin Gruber (New York University, 1983-1988)
- Rene M. Stulz (The Ohio State University, 1988-1999)
- Richard M. Green (Carnegie Mellon University, 2000-2003)
- Robert F. Stambaugh (University of Pennsylvania, 2004-2006)
- Campbell Harvey (Duke University, 2006-2012)
- Kenneth J. Singleton (Stanford University, 2012-present)
- "The Manager's Program (pg 36)". Kellogg School of Management. Retrieved 2007-09-11.
- "Top 3 Finance Journals".
- Harvey, Cam (2007-03-13). "Journal of Finance Editor's Report". American Finance Association. Retrieved 2007-09-10.
- "Web of Science". 2011. Retrieved May 5, 2011.
- "45 Journals used in FT Research Rank". FT.com/UK. Financial Times. 2009-02-17. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- "Full-Time MBA Rankings". Bloomberg BusinessWeek. 2008-11-13. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- Kavesh, Robert A. (1970). "The American Finance Association: 1939-1969". Journal of Finance 25 (1): 1–17. Retrieved 4 August 2013.