Journal of Molecular Biology
|Journal of Molecular Biology|
Abbreviated title (ISO 4)
|J. Mol. Biol.|
|Edited by||Peter Wright|
The Journal of Molecular Biology is a peer-reviewed scientific journal published weekly by Elsevier. It covers original scientific research concerning studies of organisms or their components at the molecular level.
Some of the most highly cited articles that have appeared in the Journal of Molecular Biology since its inception in April 1959 include:
- "On the nature of allosteric transitions: a plausible model," in 1965, in which Jacques Monod, Jeffries Wyman, and Jean-Pierre Changeux presented the MWC model, that explained the cooperativity exhibited by allosteric proteins, such as hemoglobin.
- "Detection of Specific Sequences Among DNA Fragments Separated by Gel-Electrophoresis," in 1975, in which Edwin Southern presented the first description of nucleic acid blotting, a technique that revolutionized the field of molecular biology.
- "Identification of Common Molecular Subsequences," in 1981, in which the Smith–Waterman algorithm for determining the degree of homology of DNA, RNA, or protein sequences was first described.
- "Basic Local Alignment Search Tool," in 1990, in which the nucleic acid and protein homology search algorithm known as BLAST was originally described.
Ranking and impact factor
Indexed by ISI J. Mol. Biol. received an impact factor of 3.959 as reported in the 2013 Journal Citation Reports by Thomson Reuters, ranking it 88th out of 291 journals in the category “Biochemistry & Molecular Biology”.
- Monod, J.; Wyman, J.; Changeux, J. P. (1965). "On the Nature of Allosteric Transitions: A Plausible Model". Journal of Molecular Biology 12: 88–118. doi:10.1016/S0022-2836(65)80285-6. PMID 14343300.
- Southern, E. M. (1975). "Detection of specific sequences among DNA fragments separated by gel electrophoresis". Journal of Molecular Biology 98 (3): 503–517. doi:10.1016/S0022-2836(75)80083-0. PMID 1195397.
- Smith, T.; Waterman, M. S. (1981). "Identification of common molecular subsequences". Journal of Molecular Biology 147 (1): 195–197. doi:10.1016/0022-2836(81)90087-5. PMID 7265238.
- Altschul, Stephen; Gish, Warren; Miller, Webb; Myers, Eugene; Lipman, David (1990). "Basic local alignment search tool". Journal of Molecular Biology 215 (3): 403–410. doi:10.1016/S0022-2836(05)80360-2. PMID 2231712.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Biochemistry & Molecular Biology". 2013 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Sciences ed.) (Thomson Reuters). 2014.