Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
|Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics|
|Former name(s)||Journal of the American Dietetic Association|
|Abbreviated title (ISO 4)||J. Acad. Nutr. Diet.|
|Edited by||Linda G. Snetselaar, RD, PhD|
|Publisher||Elsevier (United States)|
The Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is the monthly peer-reviewed scientific journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics published by Elsevier. It covers research in nutritional science, medical nutrition therapy, public health nutrition, food science and biotechnology, foodservice systems, leadership and management, and dietetics education.
The Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics was established in June 1925 as the quarterly Journal of the American Dietetic Association and obtained its current name in January 2012 as part of an organization-wide name change. The first issue went to 735 Academy members and a few paid subscribers. As of March 2013[update], circulation was 71,694.
The first editor-in-chief was Florence H. Smith, who became president of the Academy in 1926. Since 2003, the editor-in-chief has been Linda Van Horn (Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine).
Continuing professional education
Since March 2005, the journal has offered free continuing professional education (CPE) to academy members, with each issue providing 4 CPE units. CPE represents one of the most frequently read departments in the journal, with 82% of recipients reading these articles "at least sometimes".
Biannually, the journal, with its publisher Elsevier and Readex Research, conducts a survey of its member readers to determine reader needs and satisfaction. According to the 2010 survey, the journal is the most read dietetics-related publication among Academy members—21% more popular than its nearest competitor and at least twice as popular as its other competitors.
Huddleson and Monsen Awards
The journal bestows two awards each year honoring authors and researchers.
The Huddleson Award, named for Mary Pascoe Huddleson, editor of the journal from 1927-1946, honors a registered dietitian who was the lead author of a peer-reviewed article that made an important contribution to the dietetics profession and was published in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
The Monsen Award recognizes an academy member's body of research that encompasses a major component of his or her professional efforts and is published in a recognized peer-reviewed scientific journal. This award is named after Elaine Monsen, editor emeritus of the journal, in recognition of her contribution to research literature in nutrition and dietetics throughout her 20 years as editor-in-chief.
Abstracting and indexing
The Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is abstracted and indexed in:
- "About the Journal". Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- Cassell, Jo Anne (1990). Carry the Flame: The History of The American Dietetic Association. Chicago, IL: American Dietetic Association. pp. 56–57. ISBN 0-88091-038-0.
- "Journal of American Dietetic Association becomes Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics" (Press release). Elsevier. January 25, 2012. Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- "JAND 2013 Media Kit". Elsevier. March 05, 2013. Retrieved April 18, 2013.
- "Linda Van Horn Named Editor-in-Chief of Nutrition Journal" (Press release). Northwestern University. 2003. Retrieved 15 June 2012.
- Lipscomb, Ryan; Brown, Damon (2006). "2006 ADA Member Benefits Update". Journal of the American Dietetic Association 106 (4): 500. doi:10.1016/j.jada.2006.02.025.
- Lipscomb, Ryan (2011). "2010 Journal Reader Survey Results". Journal of the American Dietetic Association 111 (2): 206, 209–11. doi:10.1016/j.jada.2010.12.012. PMID 21272690.
- Lipscomb, Ryan (2009). "2008 Journal Reader Survey Results". Journal of the American Dietetic Association 109 (5): 796. doi:10.1016/j.jada.2009.03.018.
- "Jill Reedy, PhD, MPH, RD, Wins Huddleson Award". Journal of the American Dietetic Association 111 (10): 1602. 2011. doi:10.1016/j.jada.2011.08.019.
- "Ronette Briefel, DrPH, MPH, RD, Wins Monsen Award". Journal of the American Dietetic Association 111 (10): 1603. 2011. doi:10.1016/j.jada.2011.08.015.
- "NLM Catalog". U.S. National Library of Medicine. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Journal of the American Dietetic Association". 2010 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2012. [page needed]