Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008 direct-to-video film)
|Journey to the Center of the Earth|
Home video cover
|Directed by||David Jones
|Written by||Steve Bevilacqua|
|Based on||A Journey to the Center of the Earth
by Jules Verne
|Distributed by||The Asylum|
|Release dates||July 1, 2008|
|Running time||85 mins.|
The film is a loose adaptation of the original novel Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne, but bears a close similarity to At the Earth's Core, a similar novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs. It is also the second film by The Asylum to be based on a Jules Verne novel, the first being 30,000 Leagues Under the Sea. A mockbuster, it was released to capitalize on the higher-budgeted film of the same title starring Brendan Fraser.
The film follows two intertwined subplots: a drilling operation that is taking place in South America, and a rescue mission to save a research team that has been teleported 60 km beneath the Earth's crust.
The drill, a fully Argentinian project, is powerful enough to send miniature drills through solid rock at a fast pace and is used to try and rescue the team from their fate. The operation begins, but the drills accidentally break through the Earth's crust and into the very mantle of the Earth. This is where the operators encounter hidden dangers awaiting them at the Earth's core. The team has to deal with prehistoric creatures in order to save both the research team and to try and return to the surface of the Earth before it is too late.
Similarities with At the Earth's Core
The film, despite being an adaptation of Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne, bears a close resemblance to At the Earth's Core by Edgar Rice Burroughs, as well as its subsequent film adaptation:
- The experimental drill which tunnels through the Earth's crust into the centre of the Earth bears some similarity to the Iron Mole featured in Burroughs' original novel and resembles the Iron Mole as featured in the film version of Burroughs' novel.
- The character of Joseph Harnet in this film can be compared to David Innes, the protagonist of Burroughs' original novel and his Pellucidar series of novels, particularly as both are portrayed as iron-willed Americans with a strong sense of courage.
- Greg Evigan as Joseph Harnet
- Jennifer Dorogi as Kristen Radford
- Dedee Pfeiffer as Emily Radford
- Vanessa Lee Evigan as Victoria Jansen
- Caroline Attwood as Gretchen Lake
- Amelia Jackson-Gray as Kate Burroughs
- Sara Tomko as Betsey Case
- Vanessa Mitchell as Eve Abraham
- Michael Tower as Marty
- Kola Superdeep Borehole, The deepest hole ever actually drilled into the Earth's crust
- Viaje al centro de la Tierra, Spanish adventure film based on Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne.
- Journey to the Center of the Earth at The Asylum
- Journey to the Center of the Earth at the Internet Movie Database
- Journey to the Center of the Earth official trailer on YouTube