|Studio album by Eric Clapton|
|Released||November 7, 1989|
|Label||Duck / Reprise|
|Producer||Jill Dell'Abate & Russ Titelman|
|Eric Clapton chronology|
|Los Angeles Times|||
|Robert Christgau||B− |
The album was heralded as a return to form for Clapton, who had struggled with alcohol addiction throughout the mid-1980s and had recently found sobriety. Much of it has an electronic sound, mostly influenced by the 1980s rock scene, but it also includes blues songs like "Before You Accuse Me," "Running On Faith," and "Hard Times." The strongest single commercially from this album was "Bad Love," which earned him the 1990 Best Male Rock Vocal Performance Grammy Awards, and reached the #1 position on the Album Rock Chart. "Pretending" had also reached the #1 position on the Album Rock Chart the previous year, remaining at the top for 5 weeks ("Bad Love" had only stayed for 3 weeks).
While the album was only a moderate commercial success at the time, reaching just the 16th position on the Billboard 200 chart, it went on to become his first solo studio album to go double platinum. This is one of Eric Clapton's favourite albums.
- "Pretending" (Jerry Lynn Williams) – 4:48
- "Anything for Your Love" (Williams) – 4:16
- "Bad Love" (Eric Clapton, Mick Jones) – 5:11
- "Running on Faith" (Jerry Lynn Williams) – 5:27
- "Hard Times" (Ray Charles) – 3:00
- "Hound Dog" (Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller) – 2:26
- "No Alibis" (Williams) – 5:32
- "Run So Far" (George Harrison) – 4:06
- "Old Love" (Clapton, Robert Cray) – 6:25
- "Breaking Point" (Marty Grebb, Williams) – 5:37
- "Lead Me On" (Cecil Womack, Linda Womack) – 5:52
- "Before You Accuse Me" (Ellas McDaniel) – 3:55
- "Forever" Unissued
- "Don't Turn Your Back" Unissued
- "Something About You" Unissued
|U.S. Hot 100||U.S. Mainstream Rock|
|1990||"Before You Accuse Me"||-||9||Journeyman|
|1990||"Run So Far"||-||40||Journeyman|
- Eric Clapton - guitar, vocals, Dobro, design
- Nathan East - bass, background vocals
- Jim Keltner - percussion, drums, tambourine, drum programming
- Phil Collins - drums (on track 3), background & harmony vocals
- David Sanborn - alto saxophone
- Robert Cray - guitar (solo on Old Love and Before You Accuse Me)
- Phil Palmer - guitar
- John Tropea - rhythm guitar
- George Harrison - guitar & harmony vocals (on track 8)
- Cecil Womack - acoustic guitar, vocals
- Jerry Lynn Williams - guitar, background & harmony vocals
- Gary Burton - vibraphone
- Jeff Bova - synthesizer, programming, drum programming, synthesizer horn
- Jimmy Bralower - drum programming
- Alan Clark - synthesizer, keyboards, Hammond organ, sequencing
- Robbie Kondor - synthesizer, harmonica, keyboards, vocoder, drum programming
- Rob Mounsey - synthesizer
- Robby Kilgore - synthesizer
- Greg Phillinganes - synthesizer, piano, keyboards, background vocals
- Richard Tee - piano, Fender Rhodes
- Carol Steele - percussion, conga, tambourine
- Arif Mardin - arranger, string arrangements
- Linda Womack - vocals
- Daryl Hall - harmony vocals
- Tawatha Agee - background vocals
- Lani Groves - background vocals
- Chaka Khan - background vocals
- Tessa Niles - background vocals
- Vanessa Thomas - background vocals
- Hank Crawford - alto saxophone
- Ronnie Cuber - baritone saxophone
- David "Fathead" Newman - tenor saxophone
- Jon Faddis - trumpet & horn
- Lew Soloff - trumpet
- Produced By Jill Dell'Abate & Russ Titelman
- Engineered By Larry Alexander, Steve "Barney" Chase, Ben Fowler (also assistant engineer), Michael O'Reilly, Dave O'Donnell, Jack Joseph Puig, Steve Rinkoff & Dave Wittman; assisted by Richard Arnold & UE Natasi
- Mixed By Gary Wright, Russ Titelman, Rob Eaton & Steve Chase
- Mastered By Ted Jensen
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. Journeyman (album) at Allmusic. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- Kot, Greg (1989-11-16). "Eric Clapton Journeyman (Reprise)". chicagotribune.com. Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2011-10-22.
- Spangler, Jerry (1989-12-29). "3 ALBUMS PROVE `DINOSAURS' HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO ROCK INTO '90S". deseretnews.com. Deseret News. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- Willman, Chris (1989-12-10). "No Great Strides on 'Journeyman' : ERIC CLAPTON "Journeyman."". articles.latimes.com. Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- Christgau, Robert. "Consumer Guide Reviews: Eric Clapton". Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- Rolling Stone review
- Clapton: The Autobiography : Eric Clapton : ISBN 978-0-385-51851-2
- "australian-charts.com Eric Clapton - Journeyman". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Eric Clapton - Journeyman – austriancharts.at" (in German). Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 2011-10-240
- "dutchcharts.nl Eric Clapton - Journeyman". dutchcharts.nl (in Dutch). MegaCharts. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "InfoDisc : Tous les Albums classés par Artiste > Choisir Un Artiste Dans la Liste" (in French). infodisc.fr. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Album Search: Eric Clapton - Journeyman" (in German). Media Control. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Hit Parade Italia - Gli album più venduti del 1989" (in Italian). hitparadeitalia.it. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- エリック・クラプトン-リリース-ORICON STYLE-ミュージック "Highest position and charting weeks of Journeyman by Eric Clapton". oricon.co.jp (in Japanese). Oricon Style. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "charts.org.nz - Eric Clapton - Journeyman". Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "norwegiancharts.com Eric Clapton - Journeyman". VG-lista. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "swedishcharts.com Eric Clapton - Journeyman" (in Swedish). Sverigetopplistan. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "Eric Clapton - Journeyman - hitparade.ch" (in German). Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "Chart Stats - Eric Clapton - Journeyman". UK Albums Chart. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- Allmusic - Journeyman > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums
- "Complete UK Year-End Album Charts". Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "RPM Top 100 Albums of 1990". RPM. Retrieved 2011-10-23.
- "Billboard.BIZ". billboard.biz. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- "Canadian album certifications – Eric Clapton – Journeyman". Music Canada.
- "French album certifications – Eric Clapton – Journeyman" (in French). InfoDisc. Select ERIC CLAPTON and click OK
- "Les Albums Or". infodisc.fr (in French). SNEP. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "Dutch album certifications – Eric Clapton – Journeyman" (in Dutch). Nederlandse Vereniging van Producenten en Importeurs van beeld- en geluidsdragers.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (Eric Clapton; 'Journeyman')". Hung Medien.
- "British album certifications – Eric Clapton – Journeyman". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Journeyman in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Click Go
- "American album certifications – Eric Clapton – Journeyman". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH