He was acquitted on 30 May 2013 by the International Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY) for his role in the wars in Croatia and in Bosnia and Herzegovina. During his service he acted in the role of an agent of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).
Trial at the ICTY
Stanišić was arrested by Serbian authorities in 2003 and handed over to the ICTY soon after. He pleaded not guilty to all charges. His case is being processed together with that of Franko Simatović. He has been charged with persecution, murder, deportation and inhumane acts.
According to the indictment, special paramilitary units, including Arkan's Tigers, Red Berets and "Scorpions", were secretly established by or with the assistance of the Serbian State Security from no later than April 1991 and continued until 1995. They were established for the purpose of undertaking special military actions in Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina, intended to forcibly remove non-Serbs from those areas. These secret units were trained in various training centres and were then deployed to locations in Croatia and Bosnia where they were subordinated to other "Serb Forces", in particular the local Serb Territorial Defence. He and Simatović were charged and acquitted of the following crimes:
- Baćin massacre
- Massacres in Lipovača, Vukovići and Saborsko
- Škabrnja massacre
- Bruška massacre
- Dalj massacre
- Erdut massacre
Part of the charge, that Stanišić was part of a "joint criminal enterprise" including former Serbian president Slobodan Milošević and other Serbian politicians, was concluded the trial of Milan Martić. The court accused him of "attempting to create a Greater Serbia using the areas containing the Bosnian Muslims and Bosnian Croats".
- Franko Simatović
- The Unit (2006), a Serbian documentary by Filip Švarm about the secret unit "Red Berets".
- "Oslobođeni Stanišić i Simatović". B92. 30 May 2013. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- Miller, Greg (1 March 2009). "Serbian spy's trial lifts cloak on his CIA alliance". Los Angeles Times.
- Carla Del Ponte/Serge Brammertz (10 July 2008). "The Prosecutor vs. Jovica Stanišić & Franko Simatović - Third Amended Indictment" (PDF). International Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia. Retrieved 28 December 2010.
- "Summary of Judgement for Milan Martić". International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia. 13 June 2007. Archived from the original on 18 August 2007. Retrieved 12 June 2007.
- "B92 and Vreme Magazine Present the Documentary "The Unit"". B92. Retrieved 29 December 2010.