Jozef T. Devreese
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (February 2013)|
||This biographical article is written like a résumé. (June 2008)|
Fields of scientific research
- Polarons, in particular their optical and magnetooptical properties, quantum theory of solid matter, superconductivity and superfluidity, Feynman path integrals and mathematical methods, structures with reduced dimension and dimensionality, nanophysics.
- 433 specialized publications in international scientific journals with referee system.
- 713 communications at international conferences, including 158 invited.
- 192 invited seminars at foreign universities, industrial laboratories and research centers in Europe, USA and Japan.
- 16 books, including volumes related to international conferences and symposia.
- about 4500 citations of his work by colleagues-researchers according to the International Science Citation Index (ISCI).
(The data are obtained from Web of Knowledge)
- J.T. Devreese, ed.: Polarons in Ionic Crystals and Polar Semiconductors (808 p.) Proceedings of the 1971 Antwerp Advanced Study Institute on Fröhlich Polarons and Electron-Phonon Interaction in Polar Semiconductors, North-Holland Publ. Co., Amsterdam (1972).
- J.T. Devreese, A.B. Kunz, T.C. Collins, eds.: Elementary Excitations in Solids, Molecules and Atoms, part A (375 p.) and part B (385 p.). Proceedings of the 1973 Antwerp Advanced Study Institute, Plenum Publishing Corp., London (1974).
- J.T. Devreese, R. Evrard, V.E. Van Doren, eds.: Highly Conducting One-Dimensional Solids (422 p.), Plenum Publishing Corp., New York (1978).
- J.T. Devreese, F. Brosens, eds.: Electron Correlations in Solids, Molecules and Atoms (435 p.). Proceedings of the 1981 Antwerp Advanced Study Institute, Plenum Publishing Corp., New York (1983).
- J.T. Devreese, F.M. Peeters, eds.: Polarons and Excitons in Polar Semiconductors and Ionic Crystals (471 p.). Proceedings of the 1982 Antwerp Advanced Study Institute, Plenum Publishing Corp., New York (1984).
- J.T. Devreese, F.M. Peeters, eds.: The Physics of the Two-Dimensional Electron Gas (441 p.). Proceedings of the 1986 Antwerp Advanced Study Institute, Plenum Publishing Corp., New York (1987).
- J.T. Devreese, G. Vanden Berghe, Wonder en is gheen wonder. De geniale wereld van Simon Stevin 1548-1620 (342 pp.), Davidsfonds, Leuven (2003).
- J.T. Devreese, G. Vanden Berghe, 'Magic is No Magic'. The Wonderful World of Simon Stevin (310 pp.), WIT Press, Ashurst, Southampton (2007).
- J.T. Devreese, Polarons, in Encyclopedia of Physics, Eds. R. Lerner and G. Trigg, (Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1981) pp. 772 - 774.
- J.T. Devreese, Polarons, in Encyclopedia of Applied Physics, edited by G.L. Trigg (VCH Publishers, Weinheim, 1996), vol. 14, pp. 383 – 413.
- J.T. Devreese, Polarons in semiconductors, Encyclopedia of Modern Optics, Five-Volume Set, edited by B. D. Guenther, D. G. Steel and L. Bayvel (Academic Press, 2004), Paper 629.
- J. T. Devreese Electron-Phonon Interactions and the Response of Polarons, in Encyclopedia of Condensed Matter Physics, 6 vols. set, edited by G. Bassani, G. Liedl, and P. Wyder, (Elsevier, 2005), pp. 99 – 109.
- J. T. Devreese, Polaron, in Encyclopedia of Physics, 2 vols. set, edited by R.G. Lerner and G. L. Trigg (Wiley-VCH, 2005), vol. 2, pp. 2004–2027.
- J. T. Devreese, Polarons and Bipolarons in Nanostructures. Part I. Fröhlich Polarons. Concepts and Recent Developments, in: Handbook of Semiconductor Nanostructures and Nanodevices, edited by A. A. Balandin and K. L. Wang (American Scientific Publishers, Los Angeles, 2006), Vol. 4, pp. 311-337.
- J. T. Devreese, V. M. Fomin, E. P. Pokatilov, Polarons and Bipolarons in Nanostructures. Part II. Polaron Effects in Nanostructures, in: Handbook of Semiconductor Nanostructures and Nanodevices, edited by A. A. Balandin and K. L. Wang (American Scientific Publishers, Los Angeles, 2006), Vol. 4, pp. 339-407.
- J. T. Devreese, Fröhlich Polarons from 3D to 0D: Concepts and Recent Developments, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 19, 255201 (1-23) (2007).
- J. T. Devreese, Optical Properties of Few and Many Fröhlich Polarons from 3D to 0D, in Polarons in Advanced Materials, Springer Series in Materials Science , Vol. 103, edited by A. S. Alexandrov (Canopus and Springer, Bath, UK, 2007), pp. 3-62.
- E. Kartheuser, R. Evrard, J. Devreese, Mechanism of absorption of light by free continuum polarons, Phys. Rev. Lett. 22, 94-97 (1969).
- L.F. Lemmens, J.T. Devreese, F. Brosens, On the ground state energy of a gas of interacting polarons, Phys. Stat. Sol. (b) 82, 439-447 (1977).
- P.E. Van Camp, V.E. Van Doren, J.T. Devreese, Microscopic screening and phonon dispersion of Silicon: moment expansion for the polarizability, Phys. Rev. Lett. 42, 1224-1227 (1979).
- J.T. Devreese, F. Brosens, L.F. Lemmens, Dielectric function of the electron gas with dynamical-exchange decoupling. I. Analytical treatment, Phys. Rev. B 21, 1349-1362 (1980).
- F. Brosens, J.T. Devreese, L.F. Lemmens, Dielectric function of the electron gas with dynamical-exchange decoupling. II. Discussion and results, Phys. Rev. B 21, 1363-1379 (1980).
- J. W. Hodby, G. P. Russell, F. M. Peeters, J. T. Devreese, D. M. Larsen, Cyclotron resonance of polarons in the silver halide AgBr and AgCl, Phys. Rev. Lett. 58, 1471-1474 (1987).
- F. Brosens, J.T. Devreese and L. Lemmens, Thermodynamics of coupled identical oscillators within the path-integral formalism, Phys. Rev. E 55, 227-236 (1997).
- E. Seynaeve, K. Temst, F. G. Aliev, C. Van Haesendonck, V. N. Gladilin, V. M. Fomin, and J. T. Devreese, Impurity spin magnetization of thin Fe doped Au films, Phys. Rev. Lett. 85, 2593-2596 (2000).
- J. Tempere, I. F. Silvera, and J. T. Devreese, Effect of pressure on statics, dynamics, and stability of multielectron bubbles, Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 275301, 1-4 (2001).
- V.R. Misko, V.M. Fomin, J.T. Devreese, V.V. Moshchalkov, Stable vortex-antivortex molecules in mesoscopic superconducting triangles, Phys. Rev. Lett. 90, 147003 (1-4) (2003).
- V. A. Fonoberov, E. P. Pokatilov, V. M. Fomin, and J. T. Devreese, Photoluminescence of tetrahedral quantum dot quantum wells, Phys. Rev. Lett. 92, 127402, 1-4 (2004).
- S. N. Klimin, J. T. Devreese, Comment on "Fröhlich mass in GaAs-based structures", Phys. Rev. Lett. 94, 239701 (2005).
- P. Offermans, P.M. Koenraad, J.H. Wolter, D. Granados, J.M. García, V.M. Fomin, V.N. Gladilin, J.T. Devreese, Atomic-scale structure of self-assembled In(Ga)As quantum rings in GaAs, Appl. Phys. Lett. 87, 131902, 1-3 (2005).
- G. De Filippis, V. Cataudella, A. S. Mishchenko, C. A. Perroni, and J. T. Devreese, Validity of the Franck-Condon Principle in the Optical Spectroscopy: Optical Conductivity of the Fröhlich Polaron, Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 136405, 1-4 (2006).
- J. T. Devreese and J. Tempere, Bose-Einstein Condensation, in McGraw-Hill 2006 Yearbook of Science and Technology (McGraw-Hill, New York, 2006), pp. 38-40.
- J. T. Devreese, Importance of Nanosensors: Feynman's Vision and the Birth of Nanotechnology, MRS Bulletin 32, 718 (2007).
- N. A. J. M. Kleemans, I. M. A. Bominaar-Silkens, V. M. Fomin, V. N. Gladilin, D. Granados, A. G. Taboada, J. M. García, P. Offermans, U. Zeitler, P. C. M. Christianen, J. C. Maan, J. T. Devreese, and P. M. Koenraad, Oscillatory Persistent Currents in Self-Assembled Quantum Rings, Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 146808, 1-4 (2007).
Functions and initiatives
- Founder and co-ordinator of the research group "Theoretische Fysica van de Vaste Stoffen" (TFVS-UA). In 2003: co-operation with 20 external laboratories.
- Chairman of 23 international conferences and symposia.
- Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Condensed Matter Division of the European Physical Society (EPS) (1980–1986) and originator of the series of General Conferences of this division.
- Co-ordinator (1984–1989) of the IMS (Institute for Materials Sciences) at the Universiteit Antwerpen.
- Co-ordinator of research projects [GOA (Concerted Research Action), IAP (Interuniversity Attraction Poles), FWO-V (Fund for Scientific Research – Flanders), EU etc.].
- Former member of the commissions of IUPAP (International Union of Pure and Applied Physics), EPS, NFWO (National Fund for Scientific Research), NRWB (National Council for Science Policy), EU committees.
Distinctions / awards
- Three-anuual prize for exact and natural sciences of the "Vlaamse Leergangen" of the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (1972).
- Fellow of the American Physical Society (1990), Fellow of the European Physical Society (2006) and Fellow of the Institute of Physics, UK (2000).
- Doctor Honoris Causa of the State University of Moldova (1995), Honorary Member of the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Moldova (2001).
- Member of the European Academy of Sciences and Arts (Salzburg, 2005).
- Fellow of the European Physical Society (2006).
- As amateur of music, he was involved in the realization on the Metzler organ in the Our Lady Cathedral in Antwerpen (1993) and he was chairman (2000–2002) of the Flemish Institute for Organ Art (VIVO).
- Study of the work of Simon Stevin. In 2003, Davidsfonds published the book: Wonder en is gheen Wonder - De geniale wereld van Simon Stevin, written by Jozef T. Devreese and Guido Vanden Berghe.
- Promotion of the Dutch Language and Culture in the internationalized society.