Juan Gutiérrez (baseball)
Gutiérrez with the Arizona Diamondbacks
San Francisco Giants
July 14, 1983 |
Puerto la Cruz, Venezuela
|August 19, 2007 for the Houston Astros|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||4.49|
Gutiérrez was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Houston Astros on December 14, 2000. He played for Venezuelan Summer League in 2001 and 2002 before playing for their Rookie League teams in 2003 and 2004.
Gutiérrez has been a starter in the minor leagues. In the 2006 AA Texas League, Gutiérrez helped lead the Corpus Christi Hooks (Houston) to their lone Texas League championship. On August 17, 2007, he was recalled by the Houston Astros when Stephen Randolph was placed on the disabled list. On August 23, Gutierrez made his major league starting debut against the Washington Nationals, filling in for injured starting pitcher Roy Oswalt. He was sent back down to Round Rock on August 25 to make room for left-handed pitcher Troy Patton.
He had a stint as the Diamondbacks closer in 2009 after Qualls was injured. He had 10 saves and was 8-for-8 after replacing Qualls.
After posting a 10.45 ERA in 20 2/3 innings—19 appearances/4 starts—across three levels of the Royals' Minor League system in 2012, Gutierrez re-signed with the Royals on a minor league deal for 2013 on Oct. 18, 2012.
On July 14, Gutiérrez was designated for assignment to make room for Wade Davis, who was reinstated from the paternity leave list. In 25 appearances, he went 0-1 with a 3.38 ERA, striking out 17 in 29.1 innings. On July 24, Gutiérrez was claimed off waivers by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. He was designated for assignment on November 27, 2013. On December 2, 2013, Gutierrez was non-tendered by the Angels, making him a free agent. He signed a minor league deal with the San Francisco Giants on January 6, 2014. On March 29, 2014, he was added to the Giants roster. He was designated for assignment on November 20, 2014. On December 22, 2014, the Giants signed him to a minor league contract.
- J.C. Gutierrez looking like another Tommy John surgery comeback success
- Polishuk, Mark (13 October 2011). "Diamondbacks Release Juan Gutierrez". MLBTradeRumors.com. Retrieved 16 October 2011.
- Dutton, Bob (July 14, 2013). "KC designates J.C. Gutierrez for assignment". Kansas City Star.
- Shaikin, Bill (July 24, 2013). "Angels add reliever J.C. Gutierrez to bullpen inventory". Los Angeles Times.
- Twitter / MLBRosterMoves: The @Angels do not tender contracts to Tommy Hanson, Jerome Williams, Chris Nelson or Juan Gutierrez.
- Gutierrez earns spot in Giant bullpen