Juan Carlos Pinzón Bueno
|Juan Carlos Pinzón Bueno|
|Colombian Minister of National Defence|
5 September 2011
|President||Juan Manuel Santos Calderón|
|Preceded by||Rodrigo Rivera Salazar|
|Director of the Administrative Department of the Presidency of Colombia|
7 August 2010 – 5 September 2011
|Preceded by||Bernardo Moreno Villegas|
|Succeeded by||Federico Renjifo Vélez|
22 December 1971 |
Bogotá D.C, Bogotá D.C, Colombia
|Spouse(s)||María del Pilar Lozano (1997–present)|
|Children||Natalia Pinzón Lozano
Juan Pablo Pinzón Lozano
|Alma mater||Pontifical Xavierian University
(BA, 1996; MSc, 1999)
Woodrow Wilson School, Princeton
Minister of Defence
Juan Carlos Pinzón, the Colombian Minister of Defense, has an extensive background as a bilingual economist and specializes in public policy, international relations, strategic studies, and science and technology. He has served in both the public and private sectors, as well as maintained a long-term dedication to national and regional defense issues in Colombia.
Mr. Pinzón received honorable mention for his outstanding academic performance as BSC in economics. He holds a Master’s of Science in Economics from the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana in Bogota, Colombia, where In addition, he was awarded a scholarship for his Master’s in Public Policy at Princeton University’s Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. Mr. Pinzón also completed his advanced studies in international relations and strategic studies at The Johns Hopkins University, and in science and technology policy at Harvard University.
As part of his public service, Mr. Pinzón served as the Vice Minister of Defense. In 2010, President Juan Manuel Santos appointed him as Presidential Chief of Staff. His public and private tenure also includes positions such as, Senior Advisor to the Executive Director at the World Bank, Vice President of the Colombian Banking Association, Assistant Vice President of Investment Banking at Citigroup, private Secretary and Chief of Staff for the Finance and Public Credit Ministry, and as an Economist for Colombia at Citigroup. The World Economic Forum selected him a Young Global Leader in 2011.
Mr. Pinzón has remained an active member of the International Institute for Strategic Studies since 2000. In the early 2000’s, he participated in the UNDP Expert Council’s efforts to design a democratic security agenda for Colombia. While with the Ministry of Finance, he was responsible for the coordination of the Defense Ministry budget by special request of the Minister.
Mr. Pinzón taught economics at the Pontificia Universidad Javeriana and the Universidad de Los Andes. He has also published several articles in recognized academic magazines and newspapers on financial markets, macroeconomic policy and financial policy.
Pinzón was born on 22 December 1971 in Bogotá D.C to Coronel Rafael Pinzón Rincón and Marlene Bueno He is married to María del Pilar Lozano with whom he has two children: Natalia and Juan Pablo.
- Santos Calderón, Juan Manuel (5 September 2011). "Words of President Juan Manuel Santos during the swearing in of Juan Carlos Pinzón as Minister of Defence" (in Spanish). Bogotá: Colombia, Office of the President (SIG). "Su padre, el coronel Pinzón, su madre, Marleny, deben estar muy orgullosos...Usted y su señora nacieron en el Hospital Militar..."
- "Perfil: Juan Carlos Pinzón Ministro de Defensa" [Profile: Juan Carlos Pinzón, Minister of Defence] (in Spanish). La Silla Vacía. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- "Es un gran conocedor de las FFMMH" [He is a very knowledgeable about the Military Forces]. La República (in Spanish) (Bogotá). 1 September 2011. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- "Nuestra generación podría ver la paz" (in Spanish). Retrieved 29 December 2011.
- Pinzón Bueno, Juan Carlos (5 September 2011). "Discurso del Ministro de Defensa Juan Carlos Pinzón en la Ceremonia de Posesión y Reconocimiento de Tropas" [Speech of the Minister of Defence Juan Carlos Pinzón at the Troops' Swearing and Recognition Ceremony] (Speech) (in Spanish). Bogotá: Colombia, Ministry of National Defence. p. 1. Retrieved 11 September 2011. "Mi padre Coronel Pinzón Rincón, mi Madre Marlene, Maria del Pilar, Natalia, Juan Pablo..."
- Gutiérrez Zapata, Ricardo (29 June 2010). "La disciplina de Juan C. Pinzón" [The Discipline of Juan C Pinzón]. El Espectador (in Spanish) (Bogotá). Retrieved 11 September 2011. "Hace 13 años se casó con María del Pilar Lozano, a quien conoció por ser amiga de su hermana. Son padres de dos hijos: Natalia, de 12 años, y Juan Pablo, de 5."
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Juan Carlos Pinzón Bueno.|
|This article about a Colombian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|