|Birth name||Juan Sebastian Garcia-Herreros|
|Also known as||Snow Owl|
|Born||July 1, 1977|
|Instruments||Electric contrabass guitar|
|Labels||Inner Circle Music|
|Associated acts||Snow Owl|
Juan Garcia-Herreros, also known as "The Snow Owl", is a native born Colombian Bassist & Composer, notable for his virtuoso musicianship and for his use of a customised 6-stringed Electric Contrabass Guitar.
Juan Garcia-Herreros was born in Bogotá, Colombia. His first musical studies began with Flute at the age 9 after moving to New York City with his family. Once he completed middle school his family relocated once again to Dunedin, Florida where he discovered the electric bass. Due to the fact that his family was unable to afford private lessons his passion for learning fueled him to become a self-taught musician. Juan was just 16 when he began to teach Music Theory and Jazz Performance at Dunedin High School in Florida. His highschool band teacher recognized his young talent and encouraged him to also study acoustic bass so that he could be a part of the symphonic band in school. After spending many dedicated hours playing both acoustic and electric bass, he auditioned and became proficient enough to perform with the Tampa Bay Symphony at just 17 years of age.
At age 21, he returned to New York City to pursue a professional music career. While in New York, Juan developed the ability to meet the demands of multiple styles. Whether the musical genre is Jazz, Pop, Funk, Salsa, straight-ahead, Rock, Modern, Classical, Heavy metal, or Avant-garde he is capable of performing without artistic compromise.
At age 30, he was selected by a jury to become part of the faculty for the Jazz Institute of the Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst Graz. He is the first Colombian to be honored with such an academic position in Austria.
Performances and collaborations
During his career, Juan has performed and collaborated with:
- Grammy Award recipients Al Jarreau, Christina Aguilera, Lalo Schifrin, Cheick Tidiane Seck, Alex Sipiagin, Producer Georg O.Luksch, Elton John, The Spanish Harlem Orchestra
- Oscar nominee David Newman and the Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra.
- Drummers Stoyan Yankoulov, Jojo Mayer, Terri Lyne Carrington, Thomas Lang and Antonio Sanchez.
- Alto saxophonists James Spaulding, Miguel Zenon, Yosveny Terry, Anton Denner, Klaus Dickbauer, Wolfgang Puschnig and Greg Osby.
- Trumpetists Lew Soloff, Alexander Wladigeroff and Michael Philip Mossman.
- Singers Deborah Cox, Sandra Pires, Turkish Pop Stars Sertab Erener, Demir Demirkan and Brazilian singer Ana Paula da Silva.
- Balafon master Mamadou Diabate & Percussion Mania
- Latin Jazz Piano legends Hector Martignon and Oscar Hernandez.
- Latin Jazz Percussionists Horacio Hernandez, Jorge Bezerra, Master Timbalero "Chino" Nuñes, Roberto Quintero and Bobby Sanabria.
- Jazz / Funk guitarists Mark Whitfield, Alegre Correa, Bilal Karaman and ECM recording artist José Maria Saluzzi.
- Modern Jazz Pianists Sabri Tulug Tirpan, Bill Carrothers, Paul Urbanek and Edward Simon.
- He has also performed and toured with RMM recording artists Michael Stuart and Johnny Rivera.
As a composer his original compositions have been featured in the off-Broadway production of "Anatomy of a Knucklehead."
He has taught Bass Masterclasses in Berklee College of Music and at multiple international universities.
Snow Owl's performances have included major festivals and venues stretching from the continents of Asia, Europe and the Americas
Awards and recognitions
- In 2006 Snow Owl received the Best Jazz Artist award by Jazz First, a cooperation between Jazzeit Magazine, Quinton Records and Erste Bank.
- His Debut album as a leader was selected as Critic's Choice in Germany by Bayerischer Rundfunk in 2006.
- November 2008 Hans Koller Preis CD of the Year for Martin Reiter's "ALMA". The CD features Juan Garcia-Herreros on "Pra Frederic".
- February 2009 He was selected as a Projekt x-change ambassador to represent Colombia and his integration as an artist in Austrian society. Projekt x-change focuses in bringing foreign and established public figures into Austrian classrooms to talk about their positive and negative experiences of integrating in a foreign country. The Austrian president Dr.Heinz Fischer personally thanked and congratulated him in the opening ceremonies which took place in Vienna's Hofburg palace.
- 2010 Art of Contrabass Guitar is selected winner of Best Traditional Latin Jazz album in America by O's Jazz Newsletter.
- 2011 Austrian World Music Prize recipient with Mamadou Diabate's Percussion Mania.
- 2013 Art of Contrabass Guitar is selected by Bass Musician Magazine as one of the most 21 influential Latin Jazz CDs of the decade.
- Snow Owl
- Banda Del Padre
- Mamadou Diabate's Percussion Mania
- Sabri Tulug Tirpan
- Wladigeroff Brothers
- Juan Garcia-Herreros and Klaus Dickbauer duo
- Snow Owl Quartet ( Snow Owl 2006 )
- Art of Contrabass Guitar ( Snow Owl 2010 )
- Normas ( Snow Owl 2013 )
- Rubi ( Banda Del Padre 2012 )
- Masabakan ( Percussion Mania 2014 )
- Painted on Water ( Sertab Erener )
- My Green Color ( Sabri Tulug Tirpan )
- Mein Mörderischer Salon ( Maxi Blaha )
- Rumba Para Viena ( Clave Sonera )
- Alma ( Martin Reiter )
- Shades of Light Trio
- Yolun Yarisi ( Demir Demirkan )
- Laçador ( Alegre Correa )
- For the Greatest and Little Things ( Wladigeroff Brothers )
- Salzburger Nachrichten
- Kunst Universität Graz
- Sonic Pages Vienna December 2008
- Jazzeit Magazine issue 59.
- Quinton Records
- Hans Koller Prize 2008
- Kurier Zeitung February 19 Chronik
- "2010 Best Traditional Jazz". Osplacejazz.com. Retrieved 2011-07-09.