Juan Jacinto Muñoz Rengel
|Juan Jacinto Muñoz Rengel|
Juan Jacinto Muñoz Rengel (born 1974, in Malaga, Spain) is a Spanish writer. He is renowned in his native country for being one of the greatest short-story writers of his generation and winner of an enormous number of awards proving that very thing.
Muñoz Rengel obtained his doctorate in Philosophy, and has taught in both Spain and the UK.
In 1998 founded the literary review Estigma. Columnist and contributor for a number of relevant publications such as Anthropos, Clarín, Barcarola or El País, he has received more than fifty international awards for short stories in the Spanish language and featured in two noteworthy anthologies of his generation, Pequeñas Resistencias and Siglo XXI.
He also was finalist of the Clarín Alfaguara Novel Award, Argentina's most prestigious international literary prize, of which José Saramago was president of the jury, for the novel The hypochondriac killer.
His first book, 88 Mill Lane, is a selection of fantasy stories set in London, while his second short stories book, De mecánica y alquimia, Premio Ignotus Best Short Story Collection Award and finalist in the Setenil Prize for best short story book, extends its settings to all Europe, from the 11th century to the next future. He won twice the La Felguera Stories Competition, one of the most important awards in the Spanish language.
He has also coordinated and prefaced the short story anthologies La realidad quebradiza, Perturbaciones and Ficción Sur.
His successful novel The hypochondriac killer is a crime fiction parody, with appearances of all famous hypochondriac writers and philosophers. It is a best seller in Spain and the publication rights have been sold in over 10 countries, including France, Italy, Mexico, Canada, Turkey, Argentina, Uruguay and Chile.
- El asesino hipocondríaco, Random House Mondadori, 2012, ISBN 978-84-01-35225-6 (1st edition 19 January 2012; 2nd edition 10 February 2012; 3rd edition 20 March 2012; 4th edition 18 April 2012; 5th edition January 2013; 6th edition March 2013; 7th edition April 2013). Unpublished in English.
- La realidad quebradiza (Anthology; Ed. by Juan Jacinto Muñoz Rengel), Páginas de Espuma, 2012, ISBN 978-84-8393-099-1.
- Perturbaciones (Anthology; Ed. by Juan Jacinto Muñoz Rengel), Salto de Página Editors, 2009, ISBN 978-84-936354-6-6.
- Ficción sur (Anthology; Ed. by Juan Jacinto Muñoz Rengel), Traspiés Editors, 2008, ISBN 978-84-935427-6-4.
- The hypochondriac killer (official site)