Juan J. Campanella
|Juan J. Campanella|
Campanella in March 18, 2010.
July 19, 1959 |
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Juan José Campanella (born July 19, 1959) is an Argentine television and film director, writer and producer.
Life and career
Campanella was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina. He started studying engineering, but dropped out in 1980 after four years at university. He would later remark that the decisive factor for this decision was watching All That Jazz on the very day he was going to apply for a fifth year. His debut as director was in 1979, with the short Prioridad nacional. Campanella traveled to the United States and entered the Tisch School of the Arts. Four years later, in 1984, his second film, Victoria 392, which marked the first of five collaborations with actor friend Eduardo Blanco, as well as his first collaboration with screenwriter Fernando Castets, with whom he co-directed and co-wrote the film.
In 1999, Campanella reunited once more with Castets to write El Mismo Amor, la Misma Lluvia, which starred actor friend Ricardo Darín (who had met Campanella 15 years before, abroad) and Eduardo Blanco. The formula would be repeated with two other films, in El Hijo de la Novia, 2001 (nominated for Oscar for best foreign language film in 2002) and in Luna de Avellaneda, 2004, all of which teamed Campanella and Castests as screenwriters, and Darín and Blanco as leading and supporting actor, respectively. Darín reprised the role of Campanella's leading man in the mystery film El secreto de sus ojos (2009), Campanella's fourth feature length movie to date, a movie which won the Academy Award for best foreign language film in 2010.
Campanella nowadays directs mostly TV series for American audiences (among them, House, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Law & Order: Criminal Intent and 30 Rock). He holds Spanish citizenship since 2006.
Campanella has worked 5 times with Eduardo Blanco, 4 times with Ricardo Darín and 2 times with Héctor Alterio. Campanella has also directed a number of acclaimed Argentine actors, including Norma Aleandro, Alfredo Alcón, Ulises Dumont, Natalia Verbeke, Adrián Suar, Mercedes Morán, Valeria Bertuccelli and Rodrigo de la Serna, as well as English-speaking actors Chris Meloni, Denis Leary, Adrien Brody, Moira Kelly, Justin Long, Vincent D'Onofrio, Alec Baldwin, Tina Fey, Tracy Morgan, Rachel Dratch, Hope Davis, Jay Hernandez, Bridget Moynahan, Stephen Colbert, and Hugh Laurie.
- Prioridad nacional (1979)
- Victoria 392 (1984)
- The Boy Who Cried Bitch (1991)
- Love Walked In (1997)
- El mismo amor, la misma lluvia (1999)
- El hijo de la novia (2001)
- Luna de Avellaneda (2004)
- El secreto de sus ojos (2009, The Secret in Their Eyes)
- Metegol (2012)
Select TV work
- Lifestories: Families in Crisis (Dead Drunk: The Kevin Tunell Story) (1993)
- Upright Citizens Brigade (1998)
- Strangers with Candy (2000)
- Culpables (2001)
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (2002)
- Ed (2002)
- Dragnet (2003)
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (2000–Present)
- Six Degrees (2006)
- 30 Rock (2006)
- Vientos de agua (2006)
- House MD (2007–2010)
- Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List (Season 6 - Episode 1: Kathy with a Z) (2010)
- Recordando el Show de Alejandro Molina (2011)
- El hombre de tu vida (2011)
- 2009 Goya Award for Best Spanish Language Foreign Film for El secreto de sus ojos
- 2009 Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film for El secreto de sus ojos
- 2013 Goya Award for Best Animated Film for Metegol
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Juan J. Campanella.|