Juan Pablo Villalobos
Juan Pablo Villalobos is a Mexican writer and entrepreneur. He is the author of Down the Rabbit Hole (And Other Stories, 2011), which was shortlisted for the Guardian First Book Award 2011, and Quesadillas (And Other Stories, 2013).
He studied marketing and Spanish literature. He has worked in market research and published travel stories, as well as literary and film criticism. Villalobos has researched the influence of the avant-garde on the work of César Aira, and the flexibility of pipelines for electrical installations.
Villalobos's first book, Fiesta en la madriguera, has been translated into Portuguese, French, Italian, German, Romanian, Dutch and English. Its English translation, Down the Rabbit Hole by Rosalind Harvey, was published in September 2011 by the London publishing house And Other Stories. Down the Rabbit Hole was shortlisted for the 2011 Guardian First Book Award.
In Germany, Villalobos is recognized as an important representative of the so-called 'narco-literature'. His book Fiesta en la madriguera has been called "a disillusioned domestic tale from the dark heartland of Latin American machismo".
- Down the Rabbit Hole trans. Rosalind Harvey. London: And Other Stories, 2011. ISBN 9781908276001
- Quesadillas trans. Rosalind Harvey. London:And Other Stories, 2013. ISBN 9781908276223.
- Guardian First Book Award 2011 Shortlist Retrieved 23 January 2013
- Juan Pablo Villalobos (May 24, 2012). "Bodies not corpses". English Pen.
- "Juan Pablo Villalobos (author page)" (in Spanish). Anagrama. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- Fiesta en la madriguera. Anagrama. 2010. ISBN 978-84-339-7212-5.
- "Down the Rabbit Hole by Juan Pablo Villalobos". And Other Stories. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- Down the Rabbit Hole. London: And Other Stories. 2011. ISBN 978-1-908276-00-1.
- Lucy Popescu (September 16, 2012). "Down the Rabbit Hole, By Juan Pablo Villalobos, trans. Rosalind Harvey". The Independent. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- Alison Flood (November 11, 2011). "Cancer biography competes with four novels on Guardian First Book award shortlist". The Guardian. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- Alice Gribbin (December 16, 2011). "Books interview: Juan Pablo Villalobos". New Statesman. Retrieved November 7, 2012.
- Valentin Schönherr (April 28, 2011). "Literatur zum Drogenkrieg in Mexiko. Vom Anspruch, den richtigen Ton zu treffen". Die Wochenzeitung (in German).
- Ulrich Baron (April 30, 2011). "Was sonst nicht im Krimi steht". Die Welt (in German). Retrieved November 7, 2012.