|International Co-Chair for the reelection campaign of President Barack Obama|
|United States Department of Commerce, International Trade Administration, Deputy Assistant Secretary of Europe|
|Preceded by||Eric Stewart|
|Succeeded by||Matthew Murray|
July 7, 1971 |
Telde, Gran Canaria (Spain)
|Alma mater||Boston University (B.A.)
Harvard University (M.A.)
Juan Verde Suárez (born July 7, 1971) is a business and Spanish social entrepreneur who worked on the political campaigns of Senator Ted Kennedy, President Bill Clinton, Vice President Al Gore, Senator John Kerry, and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, besides of serving as International Co-Chair for the reelection campaign of President Barack Obama in 2012. In addition to developing and directing a strategy designed to mobilize millions of American citizens residing outside of the United States, Mr. Verde serves as an advisor to President Obama on international trade, the Hispanic vote as well as sustainability related issues.
As Senior Partner of U.S. consultancy firm Mapa Group, Verde advises governments and corporations on market expansion, strategy and sustainability. He currently serves on a number of corporate and advisory boards including the Government of Lithuania´s International Advisory Committee and the Alumni Board of Directors at Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government. In the corporate world, Mr. Verde serves, or has served, among others, on the board of directors of Abengoa Bioenergy S.A., a global biotech ethanol company; Santander Bank, N.A., a U.S. subsidiary of the Spanish financial institution Grupo Santander; and Andina Energy Corp., a global diversified energy corporation.
Early years and education
Verde was born in Telde, Gran Canaria (Canary Island, Spain) in July 7, 1971. He received a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and International Relations from Boston University and a Master's degree in Public Administration from the Harvard Kennedy School. He has completed post-graduate business studies at Georgetown University and Tufts University. Verde is a former Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute fellow.
Verde’s career began as a Business and Legislative Aide in the Boston Mayor’s Office and the Boston City Council which later lead to a position as a political and economic advisor for the Boston Mayor Ray Flynn. He then worked as an International Trade Coordinator for the U.S. Department of Commerce during the Clinton Administration. He later served as a Director for Latin America and the Iberian Peninsula for the Corporate Executive Board (CEB). He has worked also as a consultant to business and political leaders in the United States Europe and Latin America.
Verde founded and presided over the American Chamber of Commerce in the Canary Islands and has served on the board of several Spanish and North American companies. He was also responsible for ushering U.S. companies such as Critical Solutions and GigaTrust into the European Market.
In December 2009 he was appointed by President Barack Obama to become the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Europe at the United States Department of Commerce. He was involved in President Obama's National Export Initiative, which is implemented by the International Trade Administration and the U.S. Department of Commerce, and he worked closely with the Under Secretary for International Trade Francisco Sanchez on the initiative.
On October 2011, Verde joined the reelection campaign of President Barack Obama as International Co-Chair.
Mr. Verde has worked on the political campaigns of Senator Ted Kennedy, President Bill Clinton, Vice President Al Gore, Senator John Kerry, and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. In his political work, he has specialized in fundraising, and strategic issues relevant to the Hispanic community. Mr. Verde was also a part of the President Obama’s Campaign Committee in 2008, advising the campaign on the design of the overall electoral strategy, while focusing his work on attracting the Hispanic vote, and fundraising.
Advocate of Green Technology
Verde, was a speaker at the 2010 International Conference on Clean Energy. While serving as Deputy Assistant Secretary for Europe, he promoted renewable energy, agribusiness and biomedicine companies to expand into Europe. Additionally, Verde was the founder and CEO of The Climate Project Spain, the Spanish branch of former Vice President Al Gore’s The Climate Project nonprofit.
Promoting U.S. and Europe Commerce
On May 17, 2011, Deputy Assistant Secretary Verde took part in the U.S. Government delegation that was headed by Department of State Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for South and Central Asian Affairs Geoffrey R. Pyatt in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan. The exhibition had over fifty American companies, with business interests in Turkmenistan, showcasing their goods and services to Turkmenistan government officials.
- Advanced Leadership Foundation: President
- Mapagroup: Senior Partner
- Fundacion Biosfera: President
- The Climate Project Spain: Founder and CEO
- The American Chamber of Commerce in the Canary Islands: Founded and Presided Over
- Public Administration Strategy Solutions (PASS): Founder and former President
- The Corporate Executive Board (CEB): Director for Latin America and the Iberian Peninsula
- United States Department of Commerce: International Trade Administration Deputy Assistant Secretary for Europe
- Barack Obama 2012: International Co-Chair
- Abengoa Bioenergía: Counselor vowel in the Appointments and Remuneration Committee, and in the Commission of new technologies
He married Tiziana Dominguez at Galicia (Spain), the youngest of the three daughters of businessman Adolfo Dominguez. He met her in Washington when she participated as a volunteer in the Obama campaign for the presidential election.
- International Trade Administration Names Matthew Murray Deputy Assistant Secretary for Europe and Eurasia
- ABC News: Juan Verde, codirector de la campaña para la reelección del presidente Obama (in Spanish: Juan Verde, co-director of the campaign for the reelection of President Obama)
- Meet Mr. Green
- Expansión: Un canario en la Casa Blanca: Juan Verde será la 'mano derecha' de Obama en la UE (Spanish: Expansion: A canary in the White House: Juan Verde is the Obama´s 'right hand' in the UE). Retrieved January 15, 2012, to 15:09 pm.
- American Chamber of Commerce in the Canary Islands
- Strategic Advisor for Critical Solutions
- National Export Initiative
- International Conference on Clean Energy
- Businessmen on renewable energy meet in Navarra, Spain
- Appointed to spearhead the Climate Project Spain
- The Climate Project
- Verde and the environment
- U.S. Business Exhibition announcement in Turkmenistan
- The First U.S. Business Exhibition Opens in Turkmenistan
- Public Administration Strategy Solutions
- Santander también ficha a Juan Verde, el hombre de Barack Obama en Europa (in Spanish: Santander also record Juan Verde, the man of Barack Obama in Europe)
- ´Es inconcebible la recuperación sin una Europa fuerte´. Posted in Informaciones.com ("Recovery is inconceivable without a strong Europe". Posted in information.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Juan Verde.|
- The Climate Project
- International Trade Administration
- Un canario en la Casa Blanca: Juan Verde será la 'mano derecha' de Obama en la UE (in Spanish: A Canarian in the White House: Juan Verde will be the Obama´s 'right hand' in the UE)
- Actualidad Observatorio: El asesor de Barack Obama Juan Verde afirma que la Economía Social es la economía de la oportunidad (in Spanish: Observatory Update: Barack Obama adviser Juan Verde says the Social Economy is the economy of the opportunity)
- First American Exhibition in Turkmenistan: A mixed bag
- New US Envoy to Turkmenistan Arrives in Time for Business Expo