Judas Kiss (1998 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Sebastian Gutierrez|
|Produced by||Elaine Dysinger
|Written by||Sebastian Gutierrez
Roscoe Lee Browne
|Music by||Christopher Young|
|Editing by||Howard Smith|
|Distributed by||Bandeira Entertainment|
|Running time||98 minutes|
Judas Kiss is a 1998 American crime thriller film that starred Alan Rickman, Emma Thompson, Roscoe Lee Browne, Carla Gugino, Simon Baker-Denny, Gil Bellows, Richard Riehle, and Til Schweiger. It was directed by Sebastian Gutierrez.
Coco Chavez (Carla Gugino) and Junior Armstrong (Simon Baker-Denny) are two small-time criminals who make money at blackmail and sex scams. They attempt to break into the big time by kidnapping a computer genius and holding him for a $4 million ransom. To help them, they enlist Lizard Browning (Gil Bellows) and Ruben Rubenbauer (Til Schweiger) who provide firepower and technology. However, during the kidnapping, they accidentally kill the young wife of Louisiana Senator Hornbeck.
Racked by guilt, Coco and the group are pursued by veteran Federal Bureau of Investigation agent Sadie Hawkins (Emma Thompson) and grizzled New Orleans detective David Friedman (Alan Rickman). The two combative officers enjoy showing up one another during their investigation, as well as commiserate about their jobs and personal foibles. Coco and Junior also have to deal with henchmen hired by the Senator (Hal Holbrook) to get revenge on the group.
As the plot unfolds, it appears that the murder may not have been entirely accidental. Detective Friedman's suspicions are raised when Senator Hornbeck threatens the detectives instead of offering assistance. On the cusp of getting away with a nearly flawless crime, the group faces betrayal from within.
- Alan Rickman as Detective David Friedman
- Emma Thompson as FBI Agent Sadie Hawkins
- Roscoe Lee Browne as Chief Bleeker
- Carla Gugino as Coco Chavez
- Gil Bellows as Lizard Browning
- Simon Baker-Denny as Junior Armstrong
- Til Schweiger as Ruben Rubenbauer
- Richard Riehle as Security Guard
- Philip Baker Hall as Pobby Malavero
- Hal Holbrook as Senator Rupert Hornbeck
- Joey Slotnick as Walters
- Jack Conley as Detective Matty Grimes
Awards and nominations
- Won: Critics Award (Sebastian Gutierrez)
- Paris Film Festival
- Nominated: Grand Prix (Sebastian Gutierrez)