Judas Kiss (2011 film)
Official movie poster
|Directed by||J.T. Tepnapa|
|Produced by||Carlos Pedraza
Jody Wheeler (co-producer)
|Written by||J.T. Tepnapa
Sean Paul Lockhart
|Music by||Brad Anthony Laina|
|Editing by||Whitney Dunn|
|Studio||Blue Seraph Productions, Border2Border Entertainment|
|Distributed by||Wolfe Video (N. America)|
|Running time||94 min|
Judas Kiss is a 2011 Canadian drama film directed by J.T. Tepnapa and written by Tepnapa and Carlos Pedraza. It stars Charlie David, Richard Harmon, Sean Paul Lockhart, and Timo Descamps. The film is the story of a disillusioned filmmaker’s visit to his peculiar alma mater, where he is trapped in a tug of war between his tortured past and a troubling future.
Failed filmmaker Zachary Wells is convinced by his best friend and hotshot director Topher into replacing him as a judge in their film school's annual festival. Zach's one-night stand with a student backfires when that student walks into an interview the next morning calling himself Danny Reyes, the name Zach went by when he attended the school. And Danny's film, Judas Kiss, is a finalist in the competition Zach is judging. Zach's film, also Judas Kiss, won the festival years before. Zach scrambles for answers. A mysterious, chain-smoking campus tour guide, counsels him: "Change the kid's past, change your future." But how? Zach comes to believe he can mend his life by disqualifying Danny from competition, putting him on a different path than Zach followed. Will Zach's plan work?
- Charlie David as Zachary "Zach" Wells
- Richard Harmon as Daniel "Danny" Reyes, Jr.
- Sean Paul Lockhart as Chris Wachowsky
- Timo Descamps as Shane Lyons
- Julia Morizawa as Abbey Park
- Ron Boyd as Ralph Garlington
- Troy Fischnaller as Topher Shadoe
- Samantha Rund as Rebecca Lynn
- Ronee Collins as Kimberly Reyes
- Laura Kenny as Mrs. Blossom
- Dale Bowers as Old Man Welds
- Vince Valenzuela as Daniel Reyes, Sr.
- Matt Smith as Jude
- Tim Foutch as Tommy
- Julian LeBlanc as Nate
- Genevieve Buechner as Samantha
The film is produced by Blue Seraph Productions, a Los Angeles company headed by Tepnapa and Pedraza. Their previous work has been featured in the New York Times, BBC, Variety, Frontiers, Fab, the Today Show, MSNBC, and other international news outlets.
The film, which was shot in the summer of 2010 in Seattle, has already attracted attention for casting former Dante's Cove star Charlie David. Also cast is adult film star Brent Corrigan (credited as Sean Paul Lockhart), who appeared in 2008's Oscar-winning Milk and the comedy Another Gay Sequel.
Lockhart impressed the director with his acting in In the Closet. David is well known at the gay box office. Richard Harmon won the role over more than 1,000 Los Angeles actors when his video taped audition impressed the producers.
Belgian actor Timo Descamps approached the project's producers after seeing a casting notice on-line. In addition to the acting, he saw the film as an opportunity to feature his musical talents to a new audience. Patti Carns Kalles was hired to handle the Seattle, Washington casting.
|Soundtrack album by Brad Anthony Laina|
|Released||February 28, 2012|
The 'Original Motion Picture Soundtrack for Judas Kiss featuring selections from the score by Seattle composer Brad Anthony Laina, the album also showcases independent artists who contributed their work to the film’s soundtrack.
- Crash, by Brian Lam
- Analog Girl, by Oak & Gorski
- Stereotype, by Mayda
- Like It Rough, by Timo Descamps
- Confrontation, by Brad Anthony Laina
- Stimulate, by Ikonik
- Zach’s Lament, by David Yancey
- Who Am I?, by Brad Anthony Laina
- Key to the Future, Brad Anthony Laina
- Judas Kiss, Brad Anthony Laina
- If I Fall (Cast Recording, featuring Brian Lam and Brad Anthony Laina), by Brian Lam
- If I Fall (Original Artist), by Brian Lam
In its first week of release on DVD in the United States and Canada, the "bewitching Judas Kiss" made No. 1 on The Advocate’s Hot Sheet, the top 10 entertainment highlights by Brandon Voss. Entertainment Focus named Judas Kiss to list Top 10 Gay Films of 2011.
QX Magazine rated Judas Kiss 7 out of 10, praising the film's nicely breezy tone. The review makes note of the film's "darker story elements, [which] make us wonder how our lives would look to our younger selves."
Helge Janssen of Artslink praised the "flawless ensemble acting", calling it the “primary satisfying energy that carries this film.” Queer.de weighed in on the film, calling it "a touching love story, beautifully photographed and filled with magnificent, gorgeous-looking actors." The review credits J.T. Tepnapa's direction, discusses the breakout performance by Sean Paul Lockhart in his dramatic role and notes the acclaim the film has received in film festivals all this year. Xtra! describes the film as a "spiritual journey of destiny, paths missed and second chances," which "emphasizes healing from your past." The Cinemanía blog in Spain calls Judas Kiss "so strange it’s impossible not to love it." New York Cool said "Suspenseful. Spellbinding, with sexual swagger."
Sean Paul Lockhart won QFest's Rising Star Award in recognition of his transition to mainstream roles.
|TLA Gaybie Awards|
|2011||Best Drama||"Judas Kiss"||Won|
|Best Lead Actor||Charlie David||Won|
|Best Supporting Actor||Sean Paul Lockhart||Won|
|Q Cinema Festival|
|2011||Best Feature Debut||"Judas Kiss"||Won|
|Rhode Island International Film Festival|
|2011||First Place in the Alternative Spirit||"Judas Kiss"||Won|
|Youth Jury Honorable Mention||"Judas Kiss"||Won|
|Long Beach QFilms Festival|
|2011||Best Screenplay Feature Film||"Judas Kiss"||Won|
|San Diego FilmOut Festival|
|2011||Best Screenwriting||"Judas Kiss"||Won|
- "Judas Kiss estimated Budget at box-office MOJO". box-office MOJO. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- "Charlie David in Judas Kiss". Doorq.com. 2009-12-02. Retrieved 2010-09-07.
- "Caprica Times reports on Richard Harmon". Capricatimes.com. Retrieved 2010-09-07.
- "Brent Corrigan stars in Independent Feature". Ragemonthly.com. 2010-02-02. Retrieved 2010-09-07.
- Nick (2010-01-25). "Timo Descamps in American Movie". Thatgaymovie.com. Retrieved 2010-09-07.
- "Cast of Judas Kiss". Judaskissmovie.com. Retrieved 2010-09-07.
- "Richard stars in Summer Indie". Doorq.com. Retrieved 2010-09-07.
- "Charlie David: Out in Hollywood". Afterelton.com. 2006-05-23. Retrieved 2010-09-07.
- by MICHAEL HINMAN, Posted Aug-15-2010. "'Caprica' Guest Star Cast In Quirky Sci-Fi Indie Film". Airlockalpha.com. Retrieved 2010-09-07.
- "Timo Descamps rocks American Movie" (in alemán). Demorgen.be. Retrieved 2010-09-07.
- "Judas Kiss" Original Motion Picture Soundtrack at iTunes
- Entertainment Focus’ list of the Top 10 Gay Films of 2011
- full review at QX Magazine International
- Christian Cintron’s Judas Kiss review for Edge Network
- Queerty’s No. 1 ‘Must See’ Movie: ‘Judas Kiss’
- full review at Artslink
- full review at Queer.de in German
- ‘Edgy and Mysterious,’ Top Pick – Xtra! Canada
- the original blog post here (in Spanish)
- list of all the 2012 Gaybie Award winners
- Q Cinema Announces Festival Winners
- RIIFF Awards Press Release
- List of RIIFF Awards Jury
- Greg in Hollywood, “Judas Kiss wins best screenplay on opening night of Long Beach Q Film Festival”
- Top honors at FilmOut San Diego’s LGBT Film Festival