Judy Blundell, pseudonym Jude Watson, is an American author of books for middle grade, young adult, and adult readers. She won the annual National Book Award for Young People's Literature in 2008 for the young-adult novel What I Saw and How I Lied, published under her real name by Scholastic Books.
"Jude Watson" is better known than Judy Blundell, primarily as an author of Star Wars books. Her publisher Scholastic calls her "most celebrated author in the prequel-era of the Star Wars phenomenon". That is, author of fiction set prior to the original 1977 movie Star Wars.
Writing for the Star Wars franchise she works with editors from LucasBooks as well as Scholastic. Her debut came when LucasBooks recruited her to write the Star Wars Journal Captive to Evil by Princess Leia Organa, published by Scholastic in 1998.
Beside the journals of Princess Leia, Queen Amidala (1999), and Darth Maul (1999), Watson is the author of three series that comprise about forty books: Jedi Apprentice (except for the first book), Jedi Quest, and The Last of the Jedi. She is also a co-author with K. D. Burkett in the Star Wars: Science Adventures series. Scholastic says that the primary audience is children age 9 to 13.
Her other books include the romance series Brides of Wildcat County, the parapsychic science fictions Premonitions and Disappearance, and three books in the 39 Clues mystery adventure series, all written for young adults.
Bibliography, except Star Wars
- Premonitions (2005)
- Disappearance (2005), sequel to Premonitions
- What I Saw and How I Lied (2008), by Judy Blundell, her real name — winner of the National Book Award
The 39 Clues
- Beyond the Grave (Book 4)
- In Too Deep (Book 6)
- Vespers Rising (Book 11)
- A King's Ransom (Book 2 of Cahills vs Vespers)
- Nowhere to Run (Book 1 of Unstoppable)
Brides of Wildcat County
- Dangerous: Savannah's Story
- Scandalous: Eden's Story
- Audacious: Ivy's Story
- Impetuous: Mattie's Story
- Tempestuous: Opal's Story
Star Wars books
Star Wars Journals
- Star Wars Journal: Captive to Evil by Princess Leia Organa (1998) — Blundell's first Star Wars gig
- Star Wars Episode I Journal: Queen Amidala
- Star Wars Episode I Journal: Darth Maul
Star Wars Science Adventures
- Emergency in Escape Pod Four, by Jude Watson and K. D. Burkett
- Journey across Planet X, by Watson and Burkett
Legacy of the Jedi
(88.5 BBY – 20 BBY)
(44 BBY – 38 BBY)
Watson explores "through Jedi Master Obi-wan Kenobi and his apprentice Anakin Skywalker"
The Last of the Jedi
(18 BBY – 10 BBY)
- "Biography: Judy Blundell". Scholastic. Retrieved 2012-04-16.
- "National Book Awards – 2008". National Book Foundation (NBF). Retrieved 2012-04-16.
(With acceptance speech by Blundell, introduction by Daniel Handler, and other material, partly replicated for all five Young People's Literature authors and books.)
- "2008 National Book Award Winner, Young People's Literature". NBF. Retrieved 2010-04-08. (Acceptance speech, reading, citation, biographical blurbs, etc.)
- Judy Blundell author book list at FictionDB
- Jude Watson at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Jordan Cray at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Jude Watson at Library of Congress Authorities, with 55 catalog records dated 1995–2013
- Judy Blundell at LC Authorities — 3 works publ. 2008–2013
- Jordan Cray at LC Authorities — 9 works publ. 1997–1998