Judge Dredd (1995 video game)
Ben O' Reilly
|Release date(s)||Super NES:|
|Genre(s)||2D action platform|
Judge Dredd (ジャッジ・ドレッド?, "Judge Dredd: The Movie") is an action video game for the Super NES, Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, Game Gear and Game Boy originally released in 1995. The game is loosely based on the 1995 film Judge Dredd, which was spun off from the Judge Dredd comic book.
In the 22nd century, everybody lives in the urban areas of the world. Police officers and lawyers have been abolished and only the Judges are in complete control of human society. One of them, Judge Dredd must pursue the renegade Judge Rico and Mega-City's most dangerous criminals. Eventually, Dredd defeats Rico and wins a final battle with the Dark Judges to rescue Mega-City.
The four reviewers of Electronic Gaming Monthly criticized that the game's bosses are overly difficult, but generally approved of Judge Dredd for its large levels and selection of weapons, with one of their reviewers remarking that "What Judge Dredd lacks in originality, it more than makes up for in playability." They were much more critical of the Genesis version, which they said suffers from inferior graphics, sound, and most importantly, control compared to the SNES version. They reviewed that the game "translates surprisingly well to the Game Boy", with most of the levels and graphical effects of the home versions, but that the Game Boy version also suffers from inferior sound quality. GamePro's review of the Game Boy version criticized that Judge Dredd is overly similar to previous handheld action/adventure games and has so-so controls, but concluded, "Is Judge Dredd tough? Not guilty. Is it terrific? Not guilty. Is it worth playing? Guilty."
- "Composer information". SNESMusic.org. Retrieved 2012-01-02.
- "Additional release information". RF Generation. Retrieved 2012-01-23.
- "Japanese title". SuperFamicom.org. Retrieved 2012-07-28.
- "Basic game overview". allgame. Retrieved 2011-12-16.
- "Video game summary". MobyGames. Retrieved 2010-05-26.
- "Basic game overview". Neoseeker. Retrieved 2012-01-22.
- "Ending for Judge Dredd (SNES)". VG Museum. Retrieved 2012-01-23.
- "Review Crew: Judge Dredd". Electronic Gaming Monthly (Ziff Davis) (72): 35–36. July 1995.
- "Review Crew: Judge Dredd". Electronic Gaming Monthly (Ziff Davis) (72): 40. July 1995.
- "ProReview: Judge Dredd". GamePro (IDG) (83): 88. August 1995.