||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2008)|
June 25, 1951 |
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
|Education||University of Southern California
Wadsworth Veteran's Hospital
|Occupation||Psychiatrist, writer, motivational speaker|
She is an assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at UCLA and has a private practice in Los Angeles. She holds workshops and speaking engagements, blogs for several websites, and is the author of four books.
Born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, daughter of Theodore and Maxine, both physicians, Orloff grew up in Beverly Hills, where she claims to have had her first psychic premonitions, foreseeing illnesses, deaths, and earthquakes. Coming from a lineage of 25 physicians, Orloff received her MD from the University of Southern California in 1979. She completed a medical internship at Wadsworth Veteran's Hospital in Los Angeles in 1980, and held a psychiatric residency at UCLA's Neuropsychiatric Institute from 1979 to 1983. She also held staff positions at hospitals in the Los Angeles area (Cedars Sinai Medical Center, St Johns Medical Center, the Daniel Freeman Hospital, and Brotman Medical Center).
She has taken part in psychical research projects with Thelma Moss, Mobius Group and the Institute of Noetic Sciences, and is a member of the American Psychiatric Association and the Southern California Psychiatric Society.
Orloff is an assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at UCLA, has had a private practice in Los Angeles since 1983, and leads workshops on the relationships between medicine, intuition, and spirituality.
In a review of Orloff's first book Second Sight (1996), Publishers Weekly said "Orloff's unconventional attempt to bridge the worlds of Freud and the paranormal will appeal to open-minded readers." The review also reported that she worked with police departments using her psychic abilities. Orloff calls her ability second sight, and she coined the term energy psychiatry to describe her novel psychotherapy model.
It addresses the subtle energetic underpinnings of health and behavior and is a combination of conventional medicine, intuition, spirituality and energy. It is a subset of energy medicine, which views our bodies and spirits as manifestations of subtle energies. This is what many indigenous healing traditions revere as a life force and is conspicuous by its absence from Western health care.—Russ Mason, The Energy Psychiatry of Judith Orloff, M.D.
Orloff has spoken at medical schools, hospitals, the American Psychiatric Association, Fortune magazine's Most Powerful Women Summit; and at alternative and traditional health forums such as National Alliance for the Mentally Ill in Los Angeles, Columbia Presbyterian Hospital Medical Center in New York, the UCLA Pediatric Pain Program in Los Angeles, and the Maria Shriver's First Lady's Women's Conference also in Los Angeles.
- Second Sight: A psychiatrist clairvoyant tells her extraordinary story ... and shows you how to discover your psychic gifts. Warner Books. 1996. ISBN 978-0-446-51842-0.
- In 2001, Second Sight was named in testimony before the United States Senate Special Committee on Aging as an example of "irresponsible unscientific work".
- An updated edition was published by Three Rivers Press in 2010 with a revised subtitle: An intuitive psychiatrist tells her extraordinary story and shows you how to tap your inner wisdom, to favourable reviews.
- Dr. Judith Orloff's Guide to Intuitive Healing. Three Rivers Press. 2001. ISBN 978-0-8129-3098-6.
- Positive Energy: 10 Extraordinary Prescriptions for Transforming Fatigue, Stress, and Fear into Vibrance, Strength, and Love. Three Rivers Press. 2005. ISBN 978-1-4000-8216-2.
- Emotional Freedom: Liberate Yourself from Negative Emotions and Transform Your Life. Random House. 2009. ISBN 978-0-307-33819-8.
- "Orloff, Judith 1951–". Contemporary Authors, New Revision Series. Gale Cengage – via HighBeam Research (subscription required). January 1, 2006. Retrieved 2013-01-11.
- "Nonfiction Review: Second Sight: The Personal Story of a Psychiatrist Clairvoyant by Judith Orloff". Publishers Weekly. PWxyz. June 3, 1996. "[...] she works with police departments by using her psychic abilities to help locate missing persons and identify suspects"
- Pickett, Debra (June 20, 2004). "Sunday Lunch with Judith Orloff". Chicago Sun-Times.
- Weinstein, Edie. "Second Sight: An Interview with Dr. Judith Orloff". Wisdom Magazine. Retrieved 2013-01-11. "There is a chapter in Second Sight that I call 'Mixing Medicine' where I talk about my work with Mobius and Stephen Schwartz after graduating medical school. He took over where Thelma Moss left off. He became my mentor and guide and taught me remote viewing and how to look for treasure and find criminals and all of that."
- "Judith Orloff, MD". Institute of Noetic Sciences. Retrieved 2013-01-11.
- USA Today, A Better Life Section: "Health, Education, and Science" by Marilyn Elias, Pg. 6D April 12, 2004
- Mason, Russ (February 1, 2005). "The Energy Psychiatry of Judith Orloff, M.D.". Alternative & Complementary Therapies 11 (1). ISSN 1557-9085.
- "Dr. Judith Orloff: Intuitive Psychiatrist". John Edward Presents Infinite Quest. InfiniteQuest.[dead link] (Archived here, March 20, 2012)
- "Judith Orloff MD". The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com.
- Gorski, Timothy N. (1991), "Rebuttal of Timothy N. Gorski, M.D.", Hearing on Swindlers, Hucksters and Snake Oil Salesmen: The Hype and Hope of Marketing Anti-Aging Products to Seniors, September 10, 2001, United States Senate Special Committee on Aging, pp. 586–591, "Dr. Ornish has enthusiastically endorsed many irresponsible unscientific works by others including Larry Dossey's Healing Words, and psychic Judith Orloff's Second Sight." A Written Response to the Statement of the Honorable Dan Burton (R-IN), Chairman, House Committee on Government Reform, by Timothy N. Gorski, M.D., F.A.C.O.G.; Assistant Clinical Professor, University of North Texas Health Science Center; President, Dallas/Fort Worth Council Against Health Fraud; board member, National Council Against Health Fraud; Associate Editor, Scientific Review of Alternative Medicine
- Second Sight: An Intuitive Psychiatrist Tells Her Extraordinary Story and ... – Judith Orloff –. Google Books. Retrieved 2013-01-29.