|Born||1959 (age 55–56) -->
|Famous flights||Crossing English Channel in hang glider. Dropped from a balloon from 40,000ft over Jordan.|
|Awards||MBE. Royal Aero Club Gold Medal. Hussein Medal for Excellence. Star of the First Order.|
Judy Leden's flying career began while she was at university in Cardiff in 1979. She started competing in 1982 and broke many records in 1983. She currently holds world records for both hang gliding and paragliding. Leden turned professional in 1988, becoming the only woman to earn a living as a hang glider and paraglider pilot. Her work includes films, stunts, flying displays, teaching and writing.
As a display pilot, Judy has been asked to take part in a range of airshows, most recently she was asked to fly at the Imperial War Museum display at Duxford as part of their 2011 Spring Air Show themed Celebrating Women in Aviation. Unfortunately the strong winds made conditions unsafe for flying hang gliders
Judy has landed many sponsorship deals including Citroën. Competitive success includes winning the Women's World Hang Gliding Championships in 1987 and again in 1991. She has been British Women's Champion six times and in 1995 she won the Women's World Paragliding Championship. Involved at Airways Airsports from the start, Judy is the senior instructor proficient in every form of free flying
Judy's father was one of the children saved by Sir Nicholas Winton prior to the outbreak of World War II. She has taken him flying in a microlight on a number of occasions including a flight on his 98th and 100th birthdays.
In 1989 Judy became the first woman to fly over the English Channel by hang glider following a launch from a hot air balloon at 13,000 feet. The flight received substantial press attention and was even featured in an episode of Spitting Image.
Early 1992 saw Judy taking part in the Flight of the Dacron Eagles a 1000 mile, three-week microlight and hang glider expedition down the rift valley in Kenya filming for the BBC 1 Classic Adventure series with cameramen Sid Perou, microlight pilots Richard Meredith-Hardy and Ben Ashman and hang glider pilots Mark Dale, Tim Hudson and Louise Anderton.
The "Flight for life" flight from London to Amman, Jordan for Cancer research campaign with Ben Ashman. Inspired by and in memory of hang glider pilot Yasmin Saudi who died of Cancer at the age of 24. The flight succeeded in raising over £100,000 and was filmed en route and made into a video.
In 1996 Judy's autobiography "Flying with Condors" was published. This title was also used for a BBC 1 Natural World documentary where Judy and husband Chris Dawes travelled to Patagonia to fly with Andean condors using hang gliders, paragliders and paramotors.
Judy's wide experience with various aircraft, adventurous nature and low body weight has resulted in her being asked to test fly a number of unique aircraft. In 2003 she was asked to test fly a replica of a Leonardo da Vinci glider and in 2009 the makers of a replica of the first aircraft to fly in the UK recruited Judy in an attempt to get their replica Roe Triplane airborne.
Judy was awarded an MBE in 1989 for her services to hang gliding and has received many other awards, including the Royal Aero Club Gold Medal, Sportswoman of the year from Cosmopolitan magazine and Middlesex county . She also received the Hussein Medal for Excellence in recognition of her flight to Jordan by microlight and the Star of the First Order, by King Hussein
|15 June 1983||HG||W||out and return distance||82.04 km at Owens Valley, USA. (Feminine World, National)|
|13 July 1983||HG||W||Straight Distance||233 km. (Feminine World, National)|
|28 April 1989||HG||UK||Open distance||114 miles from Wether Fell to Lincolnshire.|
|14 January 1990||HG||W||Distance with one turn point||81.72 km at Forbes, Australia. (Feminine World, National)|
|22 January 1990||HG||W||Distance with one turn point||170 km at Forbes, Australia. (All Feminine World, National)|
|24 January 1990||HG||W||speed over triangular course of 25 km||16.67 km/h at Forbes, Australia.|
|22 June 1991||HG||W||triangular course||114.107 km at Kossen, Austria. (Feminine World, National)|
|1 January 1992||HG||W||height gain||3970metres at Kuruman, South Africa. (Feminine World, National)|
|25 October 1994||HG||W||Altitude record for a hang glider release from a balloon||Taking off from Wadi Rum, Jordan, Judy was flown to an altitude of 41,300 feet, (12390m)by world class balloonist Per Lindstrand. This flight was filmed for the Discovery documentary Stratosfear by Matt Dickinson|
|12 January 1997||HG||W||Tandem flight to goal||Steve Varden and Judy Leden make flight to goal of 36.3 km from Kuruman, South Africa (Multiplace World, National)|
|15 October 2002||HG||UK||Tandem hang glider tow record||Aerotow to over 11,000 feet. Her partner for the flight was Blue Peter presenter Matt Baker.|
|11 April 2003||PG||UK||Straight Distance (F)||94.4 km, Bradwell Edge to Grasby, Ozone Vulcan|
|17 March 2004||PG||UK||Straight Distance (F)||125.0 km, Bradwell Edge to Spilsby, Ozone Vibe|
|9 December 1992||PG||W||Straight Distance (F)||128.5 km, Vryburg (South Africa) to, Firebird Apache|
|20 July 1994||PG||W||Distance around a Triangular Course (F)||Sarah Fenwick, Judy Leden, 50.3 km, Piedrahita, Nova Sphinx & Edel Rainbow|
|20 July 1994||PG||W||Speed over a Triangular Course of 50 km (F)||Piedrahita, 15.8 km/h, 20 July 1994, Edel Rainbow|
Don't Try This at Home
(2006) An extract from BBC's Great British Summer. Airways instructor Judy Leden flying Tandem with Cloud Appreciation Society founder Gavin Pretor-Pinney, showing him what its like to fly through the clouds on a hang glider. 
(2010) BBC Breakfast sports presenter Mike Bushell and BBC Disability Sport reporter Tony Garrett flew tandem with Airways instructor Judy Leden to experience hang gliding and to demonstrate the benefits of aerotowing for disabled students.
(2014) TEDx Talk: Putting the F into Future: Judy Leden at TEDxHurstpierpointCollege 
- Flying with Condors by Judy Leden ISBN 0-7528-0874-5
- "Celebrating Women in Aviation". Flightline UK. 23 March 2011. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- duxford-spring-air-show-22nd-may, SIMON FENWICK PHOTOGRAPHY, retrieved 16 February 2012
- "Instructors". Airways Airsports. 15 October 2002. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "'UK Schindler' in birthday flight". BBC News. 29 June 2009. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- "Sir Nicky celebrates 98th year with record flight" (PDF). Maidenhead Advertiser. 24 May 2007. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- Video on YouTube
- "Hang-gliding: Thermal hermit's obsession with the superlative: 'I would be too scared to look over Beachy Head, but ask me to jump off with a hang-glider and it's no problem'". Independent. 25 June 1993. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- "Woman's Hour March 4, 2003". BBC. 4 March 2003. Retrieved 17 May 2011.
- "Flight of the Dacron Eagles". BMAA Records. 5 January 1992. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- "The Flylight Team". Flylight Airsports. 5 January 1992. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- "Watch Natural World Season 24 Episode 7 Flying with Condors". OVGuide. 30 November 2005. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- "Leonardo Dream machine". IMDB. 4 May 2003. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- Leonardo's Legacy by Stefan Klein (Author) ISBN 978-0-306-81825-7 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leonardos-Legacy-Stefan-Klein/dp/0306818256/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1310456773&sr=8-8
- "Leonardo da Vinci replica glider". Judy Leden. 4 May 2003. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- "Judy Leden Flying A.V Roe's Tri-Plane". Airways Airsports. 4 November 2009. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- "Health and safety grounds magnificent girl in her flying machine". Daily Mail. 27 October 2009. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- "Hang gliding records". FAI. 4 May 2003. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- "Notable Achievements". British Hang Gliding Competitions. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- Leden (September 1983), "In search of world records", Wings: 11
- Williams (June 1989), "Judy Leden sets new hang gliding distance record", Skywings: 11
- Leden (June 1989), "Beating the Women's distance record", Skywalker: 21
- Dougherty, Sean (December 1994), "News From Europe" (PDF), National Newsletter THE OFFICIAL PUBLICATION OF THE HANG GLIDING AND PARAGLIDING ASSOCIATION OF CANADA: 21
- http://ftvdb.bfi.org.uk/sift/title/525676 documentary ref
- Varden, Steve (May 1997), "We had it all…except the weather", Skywings: 46
- "Hang-gliders break world record". BBC. 15 October 2002. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "Official UK Paragliding records". XC League UK cross-country flying. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- "Womans Hour April 20, 2003". BBC. 20 April 2003. Retrieved 17 May 2011.
- "Great British Summer (Audio sync slightly out as it has come from VHS.)". BBC. 5 November 2006. Retrieved 17 May 2011.
- "Blue Peter". BBC. 4 October 2010. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "Mike Bushell flies high with aerotow hang-gliding". BBC. 8 October 2010. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "Episode 11 (Man Vs Beast Challenge)". Gadget Show. 25 April 2011. Retrieved 26 April 2011.
- "A clip from episode 2 'Carol Kirkwood flies through clouds'". BBC. 20 June 2011. Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- "Putting the F into Future". TEDx Youth. 15 April 2014. Retrieved 29 September 2014.