|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
|Directed by||Trivikram Srinivas|
|Produced by||S. Radha Krishna
|Written by||Trivikram Srinivas|
|Screenplay by||Trivikram Srinivas|
|Music by||Devi Sri Prasad|
|Cinematography||Chota K. Naidu
Shyam K. Naidu
|Editing by||Prawin Pudi|
|Studio||Haarika & Hassine Creations|
|Distributed by||Siri Media
|Running time||160 minutes|
|Budget||36 crore (US$5.5 million)|
|Box office||77 crore (US$12 million)(50 Days)|
Julai (alternative spelling: Julayi) is a 2012 Telugu action comedy film written and directed by Trivikram Srinivas. The film stars Allu Arjun, Ileana D'Cruz and Rajendra Prasad in lead roles. The film was produced by S. Radha Krishna under Haarika & Hassine Creations banner and was presented by D.V.V. Danayya. The soundtrack was composed by Devi Sri Prasad. The film was released worldwide on over 1600 screens on 9 August 2012. The film was dubbed in Malayalam as Gajapokkiri and was released on 17 August 2012. It was also dubbed in Hindi as Dangerous Khiladi.
The movie begins with Bittu (Sonu Sood) planning with the local MLA Varadarajulu (Kota Srinivasa Rao) to rob 1500 crore (US$230 million) from the Vizag Co-operative Bank. Ravindra Narayan (Allu Arjun) is a brainy individual who believes in earning quick money rather than toiling like his father Narayana (Tanikella Bharani) for every month's salary. He gets into a dispute with his father about his attitude and challenges him that he would convert 10,000 into 100,000 in quick time. He happens to meet Bittu on his way, who drops him at his destination. Ravi inadvertently reveals his plan of making quick money by betting on an IPL match and also the location of betting to Bittu and his companions on the way. However his plans turn upside down when police raid the location and is caught red-handed. During interrogation, Ravi guesstimates that Bittu could have diverted the Police, and that he is about to commit a robbery at the Vizag Cooperative Bank. He convinces Raja Manikyam that Bittu is planning to rob the bank and both go to catch him. Bittu successfully robs the bank and his brother Laala (Shafi) takes the money to the city's dumping yard, as per Bittu's instructions, as the Police follow them. However Police catch Lala, who resists them only to be killed by Ravi. Police try to trace the money but in vain. Meanwhile Bittu gets arrested, but is rescued in transit by his sidekick Devayani (Sheetal Menon). They go to the dumping yard to collect the money but Bittu is shocked as the dumping yard is burnt to ashes. Having his brother dead and the money burnt, Bittu decides to kill Ravi.
Raja Manikyam (Rao Ramesh) sends Ravi to Hyderabad from Vizag under Witness Protection Program and makes him to stay at his friend ACP Sitaram(Rajendra Prasad)'s house. ACP Sitaram is a cowardly cop who is afraid of using his gun. One day, Ravi happens to see Madhu (Ileana), a middle class girl who works with travel agent 'Travel' Murthy (Brahmaji), an associate of Bittu. He prepares fake passports for Bittu's gang to help them escape from India. Ravi befriends Madhu and both fall in love with each other. Ravi steals Madhu's identity card which leads Sitaram and him to know all the details regarding the escape plan of Bittu, in which Madhu would be tricked to pose as Bittu's wife, suffering from Vertigo to help him escape easily. Ravi & Sitaram go after Bittu, with Sitaram of the impression that Bittu would go to airport. However, Bittu plays a trick on them and escapes through other route. Ravi, however, outwits Bittu and forces Sitaram to go in the route taken by Bittu. Ravi & Bittu confront each other and Bittu threatens to kill Madhu. However, Devayani forces Bittu to abandon Madhu as Bittu is surrounded and they escape.
Bittu vows to exact revenge on Ravi by targeting his family. He decides to kidnap Ravi's family, but before he could, Ravi shifts his family to Hyderabad. Frustrated, Bittu seeks the help of Varadarajulu to help him escape to abroad. But Varadarajulu tells him that he is helpless in this matter. Enraged, Bittu kills him. But before dying Varada Rajulu tells the truth that he and Raja Manikyam had the custody of the loot. Bittu makes a deal with Raja Manikyam and traps Ravi in a car blast with Manikyam faking his death. Ravi gets arrested but is released on bail by Sitaram. Ravi realises the foul play and also that Manikyam too is involved in the robbery. Meanwhile, Ravi's family is kidnapped by 'Travel' Murthy. Ravi manages to save his family but not before 'Travel' Murthy shot his father. Narayan Murthy is shifted to ICU where he prods Ravi to restore the 15 billion to the Bank.
Meanwhile, Ravi's sister is kidnapped by Devayani & Bittu shifts her to Vizag. Ravi gets to know the location of his sister through 'Travel' Murthy and he leaves for Vizag with Sitaram. Ravi finds that the whole money is being transported in 1 of 3 containers by Bittu to the sea port. He finds out the right container and the driver of the container. He uses his sharp wit to divert the container and makes it stop before the very bank from which the money was stolen. Bittu is confronted by Ravi & Sitaram and a fight arises between Ravi and Bittu. Sitaram shoots Bittu while he tries to kill Ravi and by their last conversation, Ravi comes to know the location of his sister and Devayani and saves his Sister while Sitaram apprehends Devayani. The film ends with Sitaram transforming into a tough cop and Ravi having a change of mind and starting to believe in hard work.
- Allu Arjun as Ravinder "Ravi" Narayan
- Ileana D'Cruz as Madhu
- Rajendra Prasad as ACP Seetharam
- Sonu Sood as Bittu
- Rao Ramesh as ACP Raja Manikyam
- Kota Srinivasa Rao as Varadarajulu
- Tanikella Bharani as Narayana Murthy
- Brahmanandam as Babayi
- M. S. Narayana as Sub Inspector Valmiki
- Brahmaji as Travel Murthy
- Dharmavarapu Subramanyam as Madhu's father
- Shafi as Laala
- Sheetal Menon as Devayani
- Tulasi as Kaameshwari Murthy
- Hema as Sujatha
- Pragathi as Lalitha (Seetharam's wife)
- Srimukhi as Raaji Murthy
- Kalpika as Neha
- Ravi Prakash as Dhanush Koti
- Sravan as Bittu's henchman
- Prabhu as Prabhu
- Udaya Bhanu in Item number
- Posani Krishna Murali as Club owner
- Prakash Raj (Voice-over)
- Ali (Cameo appearance)
- Vennela Kishore (Cameo appearance)
- Raghu Babu (Cameo appearance)
- Raju Sundaram (Cameo appearance)
In 2010 after his film Khaleja was released, many reports suggested that Trivikram would work with Venkatesh for his next film. It was reported that the film would start filming in Early 2011. But due to unknown reasons, the project failed to take off. In March 2011, reports suggested that Trivikram had approached Allu Arjun for a film and that Arjun has accepted the offer. Also it was reported that D.V.V. Danayya would produce the film under his Universal Media banner. Dannayya previously made the successful film Desamuduru with Allu Arjun. It was also reported that Ileana was cast as the female lead and the filming would begin in May 2011. Although there were several reports on when the filming would begin, all proved untrue. In August 2011, it was reported that Allu Arjun has injured his shoulder and went to Australia for surgery on Trivikram's request. This caused the project to be further delayed. In September 2011, an official statement was released by the producers stating that as Allu Arjun was in Australia for shoulder surgery, the filming would start in late October 2011. It was also announced that the film is being produced by S. Radha Krishna under his Haarika & Hassine banner and with D.V.V. Dannaya presenting it. It was also announced that Devi Sri Prasad who had previously worked with both Arjun and Trivikram would score the music. It was reported that both Allu Arjun as well as Trivikram had slashed their remuneration for the film in a bid to bring the production cost down. Finally on 2 November 2011 after months of getting delayed the film was officially launched. It was announced that Ileana was cast as the female lead and the other cast and crew was also announced. On 14 November 2011 filming began in Hyderabad. Although there were many reports that the film was titled as Honey, the director dismissed the reports saying that no decision was taken. In March 2012, it was announced that the film was titled as Julai.
It was announced in September 2011 that Rajendra Prasad was cast for a vital role in the film. It was later reported that Rajendra Prasad would be playing the role of a cop in the film. It was also announced that Sonu Sood was cast as the antagonist in the film. The other cast includes popular Telugu actors like Kota Srinivasa Rao, Brahmanandam, Tanikella Bharani, M. S. Narayana, Dharmavarapu Subramanyam, Brahmaji and Rao Ramesh. It was reported that Mahesh Babu would provide voice over for the film similar to Trivikram's Jalsa, but it proved untrue. It was reported that Udayabhanu would do an item number in the film
After months of delay, filming began in Hyderabad on 14 November 2011. Scenes between Brahmanandam and Ileana at a hospital in Kukatpally were canned during the first schedule of filming. The second schedule of filming began on 13 December 2011. Filming took place at Ramoji Film City and Sivarla in Hyderabad. In January 2012, action scenes in shivering cold weather were canned at RFC under the supervision of Peter Hein. In February 2012, bank robbery scenes were shot on Allu Arjun and Sonu Sood in Hyderabad. Also in February 2012, more action scenes on Allu Arjun were canned at Chennai Port under Peter Hein's supervision. In March 2012, filming took place in Visakhapatnam, Andhra pradesh. On 6 April 2012, it was reported that filming of the entire talkie part has been completed and four songs are yet to be canned. On 20 April 2012 it was reported by 123Telugu that the production unit would be travelling to Dubai on 26 April 2012 to film two songs on the lead pair and the remaining two songs would be shot in India. On 9 June 2012 fire broke out in a special Irani Hotel set, that was erected for the film in Ramoji Film City. Allu Arjun and Brahmaji suffered minor injuries in this accident.
The film was released worldwide on over 1600 screens on 9 August 2012.It is the biggest release of Allu Arjun's career The film has been awarded with 'U/A' certificate by the Central Board of Film Certification. Gajapokkiri, the Malayalam dubbed version of the film was released on 17 August 2012.
In February 2012, it was announced that Telugu film director and producer Dasari Narayana Rao has bought the Andhra Pradesh distribution rights of the film for an amount of 23 crore (US$3.5 million). It was also reported that Dasari Narayana Rao will release the film under his banner Siri Media. It was reported that it was the highest amount ever paid for an Allu Arjun starrer. It was reported in April 2012 that Ficus had acquired the overseas theatrical distribution rights of the film excluding Singapore and Malaysia. In July 2012, it was reported that the satellite rights were sold for 5.70 crore (US$870,000) to MAA TV.
Julayi received positive reviews from critics. Riya Chakravarty from NDTV wrote, "Overall, the movie caters to all ages. Watch the movie for its witty dialogues and energetic performances.". Sangeetha Devi Dundoo from The Hindu described the film as "high on energy and wit" and commented that "Julayi has all the staple ingredients that characterise a Telugu masala entertainer" and concluded that "brain matches brawn in this masala entertainer". Shekhar from OneIndia Entertainment in a positive review concluded, "Watch Julayi for Allu Arjun's energetic performance, Devi Sri Prasad's music, Trivikram's witty dialogues, Sonu Sood's great action, Rajendra Prasad's performance and Ileana's glamour. It is a perfect mixture of performances. The film has everything for the audience of all class and age group."
Karthik Pasupulate from The Times of India gave the film three out of five stars and commented that "The movie has enough in it for Allu Arjun fans to dig into it, the others might not find it as amusing." Pavithra Srinivasan from Rediff criticised the film and felt it to be a "no brainer which loses steam because of the glaring lack of logic" and "gaping plot-holes". She lauded Allu Arjun for "carrying the film on his capable shoulders, hurling punches (both verbal and physical), bashing up goons and going gaga for his girl." CNN-IBN declared the film as "lackluster" and noted that the film was "more amusing than intelligent". It also felt that the film is "far from being either a romance or a laugh riot."
Julayi Opened very well collected 8.5 crore (US$1.3 million).Its 1st week collection 41.2 crore (US$6.3 million).It is the biggest opening for Allu Arjun till Iddarammayilatho release.Julayi Final worldwide collection is approximately 74 crore (US$11 million).It was declared 'Super Hit' at the box office.
Julayi opened very well overseas and collected more than $1 million. In USA alone, the film had collected more than $600,000 including premiere shows in its first weekend. Taran Adarsh from Bollywood Hungama reported that Julayi has collected over $569,436 (Rs.3.15 Crore) over the weekend in US with the per screen average for the film being around $12,379.
With Julai, Allu Arjun became the fourth Telugu actor whose film collected over 40 crore (US$6.1 million) at the box office. The film has completed 50 days on 27 September 2012. Julayi collected 25.0 million; in its lifetime But according to the Malayalam version it was an average in box office in Malayalam.
|2nd South Indian International Movie Awards||Best Film||S. Radha Krishna, D.V.V. Danayya||Nominated|
|Best Director||Trivikram Srinivas||Nominated|
|Best Actor||Allu Arjun||Nominated|
|Best Actor in a Supporting Role||Rajendra Prasad||Won|
|Best Actor in a Negative Role||Sonu Sood||Nominated|
|Best Music Director||Devi Sri Prasad||Nominated|
|Best Lyricist||Devi Sri Prasad for "O Madhu"||Nominated|
|Best Male Playback Singer||Adnan Sami for "O Madhu"||Nominated|
|Best Fight Choreographer||Peter Hein||Nominated|
|Best Dance Choreographer||Sekhar for "Julai"||Won|
The soundtrack of the film was composed by Devi Sri Prasad. The audio of the film was released on 10 June 2012 through Aditya Music label. Lyrics for three songs were written by Srimani, two songs by Ramajogayya Sastry and one song by the music director of the film, Devi Sri Prasad. The audio launch event of the film took place at the Hitex Exhibition center in Madhapur, Hyderabad on the same day. The audio was a huge success with receiving positive reception from critics and audience alike. Musicperk.com, a famous music site marked Julai as one of the top 10 albums in 2012 rating it 9/10.
- "Re – Shoots to Julaayi?". bharatone.com. Retrieved 16 July 2012.
- "Julai Runtime". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 Aug 2012.
- "Julayi movie's one week collections". The Times of India. Retrieved 17 Aug 2012.
- "Julayi". One India. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Allu Arjun to compete with 6 Mallu superstars". idlebrain. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Ileana-Venkatesh team up for Trivikram Srinivas' next". One India. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Venki – Trivikram Film To Start From March 15th". cinecorn. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Trivikram's wedding gift to Allu Arjun". ragalahari. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Trivikram Srinivas to direct Allu Arjun's next". One India. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Trivikram to direct Allu Arjun's first film after marriage". One India. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Trivikram's movie with Allu Arjun to hit floors in May". One India. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Trivkram Forces Allu Arjun for Surgery". TeluguOne. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Allu Arjun in Australia for shoulder surgery". One India. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Trivikram – Allu Arjun film in September". idlebrain. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Trivikram Cuts Down Remuneration". TeluguOne. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Allu Arjun, Trivikram Movie Launched". Telugu One. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Allu Arjun, Trivikram's film Honey!". way2movies. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Allu Arjun, Trivikram Movie is Julayi". Telugu One. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Rajendra Prasad in Allu Arjun's Film". TeluguOne. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Mahesh Babu Voice Over for Bunny Movie". TeluguOne. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Udayabhanu to shake legs with Allu Arjun in Julayi Title Song". 19 July 2012. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- "Allu Arjun – Trivikram 2nd schedule begins". 123 Telugu. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Allu Arjun's action scene in shivering cold weather". ragalahari. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Allu Arjun in Bank robbery". MAA Stars. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Allu Arjun's action shooting at Chennai port". Ragalahari. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Allu Arjun in Vizag". Times of India. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Julayi talkie part complete". 123telugu.com. 1 January 1998. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Bunny and Ileana to dance in Dubai". 123telugu.com. 1 January 1998. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Bunny escapes fire accident". ifilmish. 10 June 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- Kavirayani, Suresh. "Allu Arjun's Julayi gets a clean 'U/A' certificate". The Times of India. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Dasari creates sensation by buying Allu Arjun's film for Rs 23 crs". Ragalahari. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Dasari buys Allu Arjun – Trivikram film". Sify. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "News : Ficus bags Allu Arjun – Trivikram's 'Julayi'". Telugucinema.com. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Julayi satellite rights sells for Rs. 5.70 cr". IBN LIVE. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- Chakravarty, Riya. "Movie review: Julayi". NDTV. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- Devi Dundoo, Sangeetha. "Julayi – High on energy and wit". The Hindu. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Julayi – Movie Review: Allu Arjun rocks". OneIndia. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- Pasupulate, Karthik (9 August 2012). "Julayi Review". The Times of India. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Review: Julayi lacks logic". Rediff. 13 August 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Telugu Review: 'Julayi' is lacklustre". IBNLive. 10 August 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- A S, Sashidhar (14 August 2012). "Allu Arjun's Julayi USA collections". The Times of India. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Bollywood Hungama – Julayi". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Julayi to join 40 crore club Allu Arjun is the 4th Telugu hero to join and 3rd Mega hero to do so". idlebrain.com. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "Julayi crosses 50 days milestone". 123telugu.com. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- "Best of 2012-Telugu". Musicperk.com. Retrieved January 25, 2013.