11 March 1964|
|Occupation||Composer of symphony, chamber, choir and vocal music|
Julia Gomelskaya graduated from the Simpheropol Tchaikovsky Musical College as a pianist and studied composition under professor Oleksandr Krasotov at the Odessa National A.V.Nezhdanova Music Academy (Ukraine), where she is now a professor of composition. In 1994 Julia participated at the Gaudeamus Foundation workshop (Amsterdam) with prof. Ton de Leeuw and prof. Nigel Osborne. Later she was awarded a fellowship by the Guildhall School of Music and Drama (London) for postgraduate study under professor Robert Saxton. In 1996 she has received the MMus Degree in Composition with distinction validated from City University of London. She has a PhD in Music Art. Author of symphonic, ballet, chamber and vocal music. She is a member of the National Ukrainian Composers' Union (Національна Спілка Композиторів України) and of the Ukraine section of ISCM.
Julia Gomelskaya has participated in international festivals in Ukraine and abroad including ISCM World Music Days (Zagreb 2011, Sweden 2009, Switzerland 2004, Hong Kong 2002, Luxembourg 2000), XXVI Festival “Trieste Prima” (Italy, 2012), Festival UNICUM in Ljubljana (Slovenia) 2012, 48 la Biennale di Venezia 2004, FMF Schweiz 2000, 2002, 2003, 2009 (Switzerland), Spitalfields Festival 1996, 1997, Opera and Theatre Lab 1996, Mayfield Festival 2000 (UK). Her music was performed at Wigmore Hall, Purcell Room (London, 1998, 2001, 2002), "Gran Teatre del Liceu"(Barcelona, 2002). In 2008 her ballet "Jane Eyre" was staged by London Children's Ballet at the Peacock Theatre, London.
- the 1st prize at the 2nd International Composition Contest of Comines (Belgium, 2003),
- the 1st prize at the 35th Concours International de Chant Choral Florilege de Tours, France, 2006.
- Laureate of the Boris Liatoshyns’kyj Prize ru:Лятошинский, Борис Николаевич (Лятошинский Борис Николаевич) of the Ukrainian Ministry for Culture and Arts (2011).
- Laureate of Odessa Municipal Prize 2006.
List of works
List of works from the Official Site of Julia GOMELSKAYA
- "Magnit" Symphony №3 for symphony orchestra (picc.126.96.36.199\188.8.131.52\3 perc.\harp\strings)
- "Jessenin-Pastelle" for bass-baritone, bajan[disambiguation needed] and piano, poems by Sergej Jessenin (in German)
- Two songs for female choir on folk Ukrainian texts: “Lulli vid Yuli” (lullaby) and “Kucheriava Kateryna”
- "Alleluia Festivo" for female choir
- “DiaDem-Viva-Di” (N4) for bajan[disambiguation needed] and piano
- "Trace of…" version for violin and piano
- "Trace of…" version for violoncello and piano
- "Three Ascents to the Identity" for chamber ensemble (flute, clarinet, viola, violoncello, trombone, piano and percussion)
- "Major-Major" for brass quintet (2Trpts.Hrn.Trne.Tuba)
- "in the stream of pulsed LYRA" Chamber symphony for string orchesta (Vn9.Va3.Vc3.Db1)
- “Vyjdy, vyjdy, Ivanku” transcription of folk song for brass quintet
- “Vyjdy, vyjdy, Ivanku” transcription of folk song for trumpet quintet
- “Vyjdy, vyjdy, Ivanku” transcription of folk song for wind quintet
- "WINTER PASTORAL" for trumpet quintet
- "Writing to Onegin. One more try" version for female voice, viola, cello, marimba and harp, poems by Ruth Padel (in English)
- "Writing to Onegin. One more try" for female voice and cello, poems by Ruth Padel (in English)
- SYMPHONY #2 “UKRAINE FOREVER” for symphony orchestra (picc.184.108.40.206\220.127.116.11\3 perc.\pno\harp\strings)
- Flashbacks Of a Tired Popstar novels for bass-baritone, violin and piano, poems by Karl Maria Kinsky (in English, German)
- Wings of East Wind for flute, clarinet, violin, violoncello and piano
- “DiaDem” N3 for bandura and bajan
- Concerto grosso for violin and string orchestra
- ukRAINian BALLAD for soprano and tuba
- “Trace of Trumpet” for trumpet and piano
- “Charms of a Lonely Fiery Bird or Well Digitized Bandoura” for bandura and electronics
- Jab-Jazz for trombone, piano and 1 percussion player
- CONCERT for piano and string orchestra
- “AtomAnatomy” for cl, bass-cl, soprano-sax, alto-sax, 1 perc. player, p-no, acc-n, two v-ns, v-la, v-c and d-bass
- “STRIMPELLATA-Sounds” Сhamber Symphony for flute, oboe,clarinet, bassoon, horn, two violins, viola, cello and double-bass
- “the only hint…” for clarinet in B
- “Through Crystals of Gothic Mosaic” for flute\alto-flute, violoncello, piano
- “Calling the Sun” for 2 pianos
- “O Vstrechnom”-message for piano
- “Vyjdy, vyjdy, Ivanku” transcription of folk song for mixed choir(SATB),(in Ukrainian)
- “GUTSULKA-DANCE” version for 2 pianos and 2 percussion players
- “GUTSULKA-DANCE” for piano and one percussion player
- “Whispering, speaking, singing…” for mixed choir (SATB)(in English, in Ukrainian)
- “UKRAJINOCHKA” for piano
- “dive deep in a rhythm-risk-riot…” for violin, violoncello and piano
- “RHYTHMUS” version for cello and piano
- “RHYTHMUS” for double bass and piano
- “MY SISTER-NIGHT” for mezzo, flute\alto-flute, piano poems by Dollie Radford (in English)
- “SymPhoBia” symphony for orchestra
- "WINTER PASTORAL" version for vocal quartet, verses by Boris Pasternak, translation by L.Pasternak-Slater(in English)
- “DiaDem” N2 for violin and cello
- “DiaDem” for flute and piano
- “the only hint…” for flute solo
- “CARL & CLARA" for clarinet and piano
- “VITAE MUSICA” (concert of symbols) for mixed choir and piano(2 players), poems by Roman Brodavko (in Ukrainian, in English)
- “EcHorn” for horn player and piano
- “OUT OF GRAVITATION” for soprano, flute\alto-flute and piano, poems by Gwyneth Lewis (in English)
- “THE RIOT” for big wind ensemble, version for wind symphony orchestra
- “THE TRIUMPH OF ADRENALINE” for trombone and percussion
- "DiaDem” for flute and harp
- “BARVA” for bandura solo
- “THE TRAP FOR TWO” for saxophones soprano and alto
- “…herbarium…music of recalls…” for violin, viola, cello
- “BEHIND THE SHADOW OF SOUND” for violin and bayan
- “DABUBA-PA” for violin solo
- "THE DIVINE SARAH" opera-scene for mezzo-soprano and piano, libretto by Michael Irwin (in English)
- "SYNOPSIS OF SYMMETRIES" for flute, violin, viola & cello
- “SEVEN TOUCHES” for piano
- "ZIG-NET-ZAG" for clarinet/bass clarinet, cello and two pianos
- "ITHRON-PHONIUM" for symphony orchestra
- "JANE EYRE" ballet for small symphonic orchestra
- "FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE SOUL" string quartet
- "WAITING" for mezzo-soprano and piano, verses by Jennie Fontana (in English)
- "MEMENTO VITAE" for small symphony orchestra
- "FLUTE VER-INVERSIONS" for flute and tape
- "KURT-REMINISCENCES" for wind orchestra
- "TEAR-STAINED AUTUMN" for soprano and piano, verses by Anna Akhmatova (in Russian)
- "SENTIMENTAL SERENADE" for bassoon and piano
- "BAGATELLE" for horn and piano
- "WINTER PASTORAL" for choir a cappella, verses by Boris Pasternak (in English)
- "FORGOTTEN RITUAL" for chamber ensemble
- "N-QUARTET" for string quartet
- "DIPHONIUM" for ten instruments
- "FLORIDAS" for small symphony orchestra
- ”PHONIUM-FOLK" for flute, violin, cello and piano
- "SAXONOME.APOLOGIA" for alto-saxophone and ensemble
- "UNWHISPERED WORDS" chamber cantata for soprano, flute and piano, verses by Olena Matushek(in Ukrainian)
- "EXLIBRIS" for violin and symphony orchestra
- "SPRING VERSES" chamber cantata for children's choir, violin, percussion and piano(in Ukrainian)
- "IN MODO SKETCH" for cello and piano
- "POEM-OVERTURE" for symphony orchestra
- "IN OPPOSITION" string quartet
- Fantasia on themes of "Porge and Bess" opera by George Gershwin for violin, cello and piano
- "SHOUT" chamber cantata for baritone, violin, cello and piano, prose by Yurij Bondarev (in Russian)
- Sonata for violin and piano
Her commissions include:
- the ballet Jane Eyre for the London Children's Ballet which received its first performance at the Wimbledon Theatre (London) in May 1997
- From the Bottom of the Soul string quartet for the Spitalfields Festival 1997 (London) for the Yggdrasil Quartet
- Waiting for British mezzo-soprano Sarah Walker and Malcolm Martineau for the Wigmore Hall 1997/98 season in London
- The Divine Sarah opera-scene for British mezzo-soprano Sarah Walker for the Mayfield Festival 2000
- Zig-Net-Zag for the Ensemble Klangheimlich for the concert programmes for 1999 in Berne and Zurich (Switzerland)
- Seven Touches for piano for Franziska Rieder, 2000 (Switzerland)
- The Riot for the Guildhall School of Music and Drama wind orchestra by BASBWE Education Trust for the British Music Academies Festival 2001 (London, UK)
- Out of Gravitation (2002) for Amaltea Ensemble (Switzerland)
- The hint only... for Mario Caroli for Spaziomusica Festival 2003 (Italy)
- Winter Pastoral (2004) for Vox Vocal Quartet (Sweden)
- My sister-night (2004) for Amaltea Ensemble (Switzerland)
- Through Crystals of Gothic Mozaic (2006) for Amaltea Ensemble (Switzerland)
- Strimpellata-Sounds chamber symphony (2007) for La Strimpellata Ensemble (Switzerland)
- ukRAINian BALLAD (2008) for Franziska Welti and Leo Bachmann (Switzerland)
- Trace of Trumpet (2008) for the "V International Myron Starovetskyi Competition for young trumpeters "Competition trumpeters" (Ukraine)
- Flashbacks of a Tired Popstar (2010) for Rupert Bergmann (Austria)
- Writing to Onegin. One More Try (2011) for female voice and cello for Franziska Welti and Moritz Müllenbach (Switzerland)
- Three Ascents to the Identity (2012) for chamber ensemble for MD7 Ensemble  for Festival UNICUM (Ljubljana, Slovenia, 2012) and XXVI Festival “Trieste Prima” (Italy, 2012)
- "НСКУ :: ГОМЕЛЬСЬКА Юлія Олександрівна". Composersukraine.org. 2011-11-15. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "Музична Академія Музыкальная академия консерватория одесса musical academy". Music-academy.odessa.ua. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- Hadfield, Duncan (14 June 1997). "Classical & Opera". The Independent. Retrieved 19 December 2011.
- "City University of London – Wikipedia". En.wikipedia.org. Retrieved 2011-11-28.
- "Нску :: Г О Л О В Н А". Composersukraine.org. 2011-11-15. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "Iscm - Mbz". Mbz.hr. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "International Society for Contemporary Music". ISCM.org. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "ISCM World Music Days 2002 Hong Kong". Hkcg.org. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "ISCM World Music Days 2000 – Wikipedia" (in German). De.wikipedia.org. 2010-09-27. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "International Society for Contemporary Music". ISCM.org. Archived from the original on 2012-04-25. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "48. Festival Internazionale di Musica Contemporanea". Retrieved 2011-11-28.
- "Opera and Music Theatre Lab". Retrieved 2011-11-28.
- "Gran Teatre de Liceu - Barcelona: Home". Liceubarcelona.cat. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "London Children’s Ballet". Londonchildrensballet.com. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- BLUE Informatique. "Florilège vocal de Tours - 2006". Florilegevocal.com. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "Нску :: Н О В И Н И". Composersukraine.org. 2011-11-15. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "Commissions". BASBWE. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "Ensemble Amaltea". Ensemble-amaltea.ch. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "Konzerte". Franziskawelti.ch. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "Duo_Welti_Bachmann". Franziskawelti.ch. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "V International Myron Starovetskyi Competition for young trumpeters". Starovetskyi Competition.ru. Retrieved 2011-11-28.
- Rupert Bergmann. "Rupert Bergmann, Bassbariton - OpernsДnger - operasinger - cantante lirico". Rupert-bergmann.at. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- MD7 Ensemble. "MD 7 Ensemble".
- The Official Site of Julia GOMELSKAYA
- Gomelskaya on Composers Ukraine
- Classical Composers Database
- Julia Gomelskaya at Sound and Music
- The Independent (London, England) May 12, 2008
- The Independent (London, England) June 14, 1997
- Guildhall School News - Spring/Summer 2011
- Julia Gomelskaya at Post-Soviet Composers
- Scores by Julia Gomelskaya