|Julia Klöckner in 2014|
|Member of the Bundestag
15 December 2005 – 27 May 2011
|Preceded by||Fritz Rudolf body|
|Succeeded by||Antje Lezius|
16 December 1972 |
Bad Kreuznach, Germany
|Alma mater||University of Mainz|
Julia Klöckner (born 16 December 1972) is a German politician and member of the Christian Democratic Union or CDU. She first became known in 1995 when she was chosen as the German Wine Queen (Deutsche Weinkönigin). From 2002 to 2011 she was a member of parliament in the German Bundestag and, from 2009 to February 2011, she was a parliamentary undersecretary in the Federal Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection. Since 25 September 2010 she has chaired the Rhineland-Palatinate CDU party. and, since March 2011, the CDU party in the Landtag of Rhineland-Palatinate, the state parliament. Since 15 November 2010 she has been on the CDU's national Präsidium (executive committee) and on 4 December 2012 she was elected as the Deputy Federal Chairwoman of the CDU.
Klöckner was born on 16 December 1972 in the German spa town of Bad Kreuznach. She grew up in Guldental as the youngest child of a vintner's family. After taking her Abitur in 1992 at the Gymnasium an der Stadtmauer grammar school in Bad Kreuznach, Julia Klöckner studied for a degree in political science, Catholic theology and education, passing her first Staatsexamen in 1998 in Social Studies and Religion and receiving her Master of Arts (MA) at the Johannes Gutenberg University in Mainz. After her intermediate examination, she worked, with special permission, from 1994 to 1998 as a religious education teacher at a primary school in Wiesbaden, and then began her practical training as a journalist. In 1994 she was chosen as the "Wine Queen of the Nahe valley" (Nahe Weinkönigin) and, in 1995, as the German Wine Queen. From 1998 to 2002, Klöckner worked in the department of regional culture at SWR television in Mainz as a freelancer and, from 2000 to 2002, she was editor of the magazine, weinwelt ("Wine World"). From 2001 to 2009, she was chief editor of Sommelier magazine published by Meininger Verlag.
Political career in the CDU
In 1996, Klöckner joined the Junge Union (JU), the Frauen Union (FU, the German "Women's Union"), the Christian Democratic Union party, the Europa Union and the Young European Federalists. In 2001 she became a member of the JU's local board in Bad Kreuznach, where she remained until 2007. In the same year she also became a member of the local (county-level) CDU board in Bad Kreuznach. In 2002, Klöckner became a member of the Regional Committee on Security Policy and the Armed Forces and the JU Regional Executive of Rhineland-Palatinate, where she stayed until 2007.
In 2003 she was accepted onto the federal board of the Frauen Union. She became a member of the "Young Group" (Junge Gruppe) of the CDU/CSU parliamentary party in the Bundestag, where she was the deputy. Within the Rhineland-Palatinate CDU, she moved up to the state committee. On 24 January 2006 she was elected to the board of the CDU/CSU parliamentary party in the Bundestag and to the committee for consumer protection. On 8 July 2006 she was elected as Deputy State Chairwoman of the Rhineland-Palatinate CDU with 91.5% of the vote on the CDU Party's 59th Regional Day.
In addition she became a deputy member in the board of the European People's Party. On 14 May 2007 she became the Deputy Chairwoman of the CDU Commission on the "Preservation of the Creation: Climatic, Environmental and Consumer Protection" - where she led the Sub-Commission on Consumer Protection. On 23 October 2007 she was unanimously voted as Deputy Chairwoman and thus as Chairwoman of the working group for Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection in the CDU/CSU parliamentary group. She was part of this working group until 2009. On 25 September 2010 at the state party conference in Mainz she was elected as leader of the Rhineland-Palatinate CDU with 96.9% of the vote. On 15 November 2010 at the 23rd national CDU party conference, she became a member of the CDU Präsidium or executive committee with 94.43% of the votes, the highest number of votes out of all 40 candidates. On 4 December 2012 she was elected as Deputy Chairwoman of the national CDU party with 92.92% of the votes (once again the best result).
Member of parliament
In October 2002, following the German federal election that year, Klöckner entered the German parliament, the Bundestag, via the Rhineland-Palatinate list of state candidates, having scored 7% less than her SPD rivial in the first round of voting. On 14 November 2002 she was elected as the secretary of the Bundestag's plenum. In addition she joined the board of trustees of the Federal Agency for Civic Education. Later she became a member of the Committee for Consumer Protection, Food and Agriculture. and alternate member of the Committee for Human Rights and Humanitarian Aid. In 2003 she joined the commission of inquiry into "Ethics and Rights in Modern Medicine" and was a member of its sub-groups: "Ethics in Bioscientific and Medical Research" and "Transplantation Medicine".
In the federal elections in 2005 Klöckner secured the constituency of Kreuznach for the CDU for the first time in around 50 years with 43.0% of voters placing her first. On 15 December 2005 she was re-elected as secretary to the Bundestag. In 2005 she became a deputy member of the Committee for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Reactor Safety. On 2 June 2006 she joined the parliamentary advisory body for sustainable development. In July 2008 she began a two-year stint as chairwoman of the newly constituted consumer advisory body of Schufa established to represent the interests of consumer protection.
In the 2009 federal elections she was confirmed as the directly elected member of parliament for the constituency of Kreuznach/Birkenfeld with 47.0% of first votes and an 18% lead over her SPD rival.
Tweet on the 2009 presidential election
In 2009, Julia Klöckner prematurely reported on Twitter the results of the German presidential election by the Federal Assembly from the official electoral polling commission (Zählkommission). About 15 minutes before the official announcement of the election result, she tweeted a reference to the last day of the German football premier league season: #Bundesversammlung Leute, Ihr könnt in Ruhe Fußball gucke. Wahlgang hat geklappt!“. ("Federal assembly, people, you can watch football in peace. Election a success!"). Other members of parliament also announced the result via SMS and Twitter prematurely, but justified themselves later, by arguing that they had not participated in the vote counting.
Following criticism of her premature announcement of the result, Klöckner resigned from her post as secretary to the Bundestag.
Politics in Rhineland-Palatinate
On 13 June 2004 Julia Klöckner was elected to the county council (Kreistag) of Bad Kreuznach with 42,888 votes, the highest number of votes of the 50 CDU candidates. In the next council elections on 7 June 2009 she was again elected with the most votes (this time 46,759 votes).
On 17 November 2009, Klöckner was proposed by the CDU chairman for Rhineland-Palatinate, Christian Baldauf, as the lead candidate for the 2011 state elections. On 17 April 2010 she was duly elected as the CDU's front runner at the CDU state party conference in Bingen am Rhein with 400 out of 402 votes cast (99.5%). On 4 December 2010 she achieved first place in the state list for the 2011 elections at the party conference of the Rhineland-Palatinate CDU Association in Ramstein-Miesenbach, gaining 99.6% of the votes.
In the state elections on 27 March 2011, voters gave Julia Klöckner the direct mandate for the constituency of Bad Kreuznach with 44.4% of the votes. After scoring their lowest result in the 2006 elections with only 32.8% of the vote, the CDU's performance state level was 2.5% higher than the national trend and just 0.5% behind the SDP, who suffered a historic loss of 9.9% of the vote.
Following the state elections, Klöckner was unanimously elected as the CDU's party leader in the Rhineland-Palatinate parliament on 30 March 2011.
On 29 October 2009, Klöckner was appointed as a Parliamentary Secretary of the Federal Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection (Germany). In February 2011 she resigned from this office in order to run the CDU in Rhineland-Palatinate. Her successor in this office is Peter Bleser (CDU).
Julia Klöckner is a member of the board of trustees for the Trier University of Applied Sciences, the Ossig Foundation for the Friends of the Bad Kreuznach Children's Clinic, the JugendRaum Foundation, the World Church Foundation and the Caritas Foundation, Mittelpunkt Mensch, whose chairwoman she is. In addition, she is the patron of the Rhineland-Palatinate State branch of the German Association for Muscular Dystrophy, the German Multiple Sclerosis Association of Bad Kreuznach, the Friends of the Christian Hospice Movement in Bad Kreuznach, Ambulance Service, of the multi-generational home in Idar-Oberstein and the AKTION NIERE ("Kidney Action") Foundation. In addition she is an honorary member of the German Language Campaign, ambassador for the Lützelsoon Foundation that supports children suffering from cancer and other issues together with their families, the initiator and a judge of the Prize for Consumer Journalism under the patronage of former President of Germany, Roman Herzog, and a member of the General Assembly of the Central Committee of German Catholics.
- Klöckner, Julia and Hartmann, Thomas (1998) (in German), Der Wein erfreue des Menschen Herz, Fribourg: Paulusverlag, ISBN 3-7228-0446-9
- Klöckner, Julia and Hartmann, Thomas (2008) (in German), Irdischer Wein – Himmlischer Genuss, Fribourg: Paulusverlag, ISBN 978-3-7228-0748-5
- Danke für 96,9 % zu meiner Wahl als Landesvorsitzende! dated 25 September 2010
- weingut-aloys-kloeckner.de: Familie – Reben brauchen feste Wurzeln ... Menschen auch.
- deutscheweinkoenigin.de: Bildergalerie der Majestäten – Julia Klöckner, 47. Deutsche Weinkönigin
- Sven Astheimer: „Zwischen Glamour und Gelände“, in: FAZ.net, 17 November 2009 (current version of a text dated 3 January 2009 in the Frankfurter Allgemeinen Zeitung)
- Lebenslauf at juliakloeckner.de. Retrieved 31 Oct 2013.
- Julia Klöckner at www.cdu.de. Retrieved 31 Oct 2013.
- cdu-kv-badkreuznach.de: CDU-Kreisvorstand
- juliawaehlen.de: Klöckners Kurier (pdf: 324 kB)
- pressrelations.de: Krings ist neuer Sprecher der Jungen Gruppe
- pressrelations.de: Wahl der Beisitzer – CDU/CSU-Bundestagsfraktionen wählt Beisitzer für den Fraktionsvorstand
- pressrelations.de: Bennung von Beauftragten – Beauftragte für Drogen, Tierschutz, Kirchen, Behinderte, Verbraucherschutz und Energie
- ju-rlp.de: BLACK DAS MAGAZIN der JUNGEN UNION RHEINLAND-PFALZ 09/10 • 3. Jahrgang • Sep./Okt. 2006 (PDF)
- pressrelations.de: Julia Klöckner neue Obfrau der Arbeitsgruppe
- allgemeine-zeitung.de: Julia Klöckner in Mainz zur CDU-Landeschefin gewählt – Merkels Watschn für Beck
- FAZ.NET: Julia Klöckner neue CDU-Landesvorsitzende dated 26 September 2010
- karlsruhe2010.cdu.de: Elections at the 23rd party conference of the CDU in Germany
- hannover2012.cdu.de: Elections at the 25th party conference of the CDU in Germany
- bundestag.de: Deutscher Bundestag Stenografischer Bericht 10. Sitzung Berlin, Thu 14 Nov 2002 (pdf: 883 kB)
- bundestag.de: Wahlvorschlag für die Wahl der Schriftführer gemäß § 3 der Geschäftsordnung (pdf: 178 kB)
- bpb.de: Bundeszentrale für politische Bildung Jahresbericht 2002/2003 (PDF)
- ausschusslisten.de: Ausschuss für Verbraucherschutz, Ernährung und Landwirtschaft, Stand 17. Dezember 2002 (PDF)
- ausschusslisten.de: Ausschuss für Menschenrechte und Humanitäre Hilfe, Stand 30. März 2003 (PDF)
- Deutscher Bundestag ENQUETE-KOMMISSION ETHIK UND RECHT DER MODERNEN MEDIZIN (PDF)
- bundestag.de: 8. Sitzung des Deutschen Bundestages on Thu 15 Dec 2005
- abgeordnetenwatch.de: Umwelt, Naturschutz und Reaktorsicherheit – Mitglieder des Ausschusses
- welt.de: Junge Abgeordnete wollen Rechte ihrer Generation durchsetzen
- bundestag.de: Parlamentarischer Beirat für nachhaltige Entwicklung
- allgemeine-zeitung.de: Julia Klöckner (CDU) verteidigt Direktmandat im Wahlkreis Bad Kreuznach
- Julia Klöckner hat am 27. Mai 2011 im Büro von Bundestagspräsident Lammert ihre Entlassungsurkunde unterzeichnet. Photograph of Klöckner handing her resignation to Bundestag President, Lammert. Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- Julia Klöckner im RZ-Interview: „Grottig schlechter Start für Rot-Grün“. Interview with the newspaper, Rhein-Zeitung. Retrieved 22 October 2013.
- reisetravel.eu: Das Parlamentarische Weinforum
- heise online: Bundespräsidenten-Wahl: Ergebnis per SMS und Twitter verkündet, aufgerufen am 26. Mai 2009
- faz.net: Die Weinkönigin und der Bundeshotte, accessed on 25 July 2009
- heise online: „Twitter-Affäre“ beschäftigt Bundestagspräsidium, accessed on 27 May 2009
- cdu-kv-badkreuznach.de: Kreistagswahlergebnis 2004
- allgemeine-zeitung.de: Die neuen Kreistagsmitglieder – STATISTIK Julia Klöckner ist die Häufelkönigin
- kreisbadkreuznach.de: Mitglieder des Kreistages Legislaturperiode 2009–2014
- faz.net: Die gut vernetzte Weinkönigin, accessed on 17 November 2009
- allgemeine-zeitung.de: Klöckner wird Spitzenkandidatin mit Traumergebnis – Baldauf gibt CDU-Vorsitz ab
- allgemeine-zeitung.de: Rheinland-Pfalz: CDU wählt Klöckner mit Traumergebnis – Grüne: Ziel zweistellig
- wahlen.rlp.de: Landeswahlleiter Rheinland-Pfalz - Endgültiges Ergebnis Landtagswahl 2011 Wahlkreis Bad Kreuznach
- Julia Klöckner neue Landeschefin der CDU Rheinland-Pfalz at www.cdu-rpk.de. Accessed on 27 September 2013.
- bmelv.de: Julia Klöckner als neue Parlamentarische Staatssekretärin vereidigt
- Neue bundespolitische Weihen für Klöckner? at www.epochtimes.de. Retrieved 21 October 2013
- Peter Bleser ist neuer Parlamentarischer Staatssekretär at www.peter-bleser.de. Retrieved 21 October 2013
- fh-trier.de: Das Kuratorium der FH Trier
- ossig-stiftung.de: Stiftungszweck
- bistummainz.de: Über uns
- bistummainz.de: Julia Klöckner im Kuratorium der Stiftung Weltkirche
- caritas-kh.de: Das Prinzip „Stiftung“
- cdurlp.de: Pressemitteilung Nr. 106/2011 – 23.09.2011, accessed on 24 December 2011
- caritas-kh.de: Förderverein der Christlichen Hospizbewegung Bad Kreuznach, ambulanter Dienst e. V.
- mehrgenerationenhaeuser.de: Wer wir sind
- aktion-niere.de: Unsere Schirmfrau
- aktion-deutsche-sprache.de: Ehrenmitgliedschaft für Julia Klöckner
- kinder-in-not-hilfe.de: Die Botschafter der Guten Taten
- markenverband.de: Preisträger für Verbraucherjournalistenpreis 2010 ausgezeichnet
- zdk.de: ZdK-Mitgliederliste
- Annett Meiritz und Gregor Peter Schmitz (17 April 2014). "EU-Bürgerbegehren: Kulturkampf um den Keim des Lebens" (in German). spiegel.de. Retrieved 2014-04-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Julia Klöckner.|
- Photograph of Julia Klöckner as the German Wine Queen at www.deutscheweinkoenigin.de.
- Website of Julia Klöckner
- Biography at Landtag of Rhineland-Palatinate
- Reference data at the CDU/CSU Bundestag parliamentary party