||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (May 2013)|
Julia Morley (right) and Taťána Kuchařová at Miss World 2007
|Born||Julia Evelyn Pritchard
1939 (age 74–75)
London, United Kingdom
|Spouse(s)||Eric Morley (m. 1960–2000)|
Julia Evelyn Morley (born 1939) is the current Chairwoman of the Miss World Organisation which runs the annual Miss World competition. She was the wife of Miss World founder Eric Morley, who first held the competition in 1951.
Life and career
Born Julia Pritchard in London, she worked as a model, and met Eric Morley, then the director of Mecca Dancing, at a dance hall in Leeds; they married in 1960. She became Chairwoman of Miss World after Eric Morley's death in 2000.
As Chairwoman of Miss World, Julia introduced the theme of ‘Beauty With A Purpose’ which raises money in support of sick and disadvantaged children. In 2009, Morley used the opening of the Miss World Festival to launch the Variety International Children’s Fund with a Charity Dinner which raised over $400,000 for nutritional, educational and medical projects in Haiti. When Simon Cowell was given the 2010 Humanitarian Award at the Variety World Conference in Hollywood, he remarked that it was Julia Morley who should be collecting the award in his place, for her work as a humanitarian. Just a few months later Julia Morley was given the Humanitarian Award by Variety of Ireland.
In 2013, while visiting Haiti with Miss World 2013 Megan Young, Morley experienced a serious accident while visiting an orphanage. Young only received minor injuries from the fall while Morley suffered a hip fracture.
- Company Check: Miss World Group. Retrieved 29 September 2013
- "Obituary: Eric Morley", The Telegraph, 10 November 2000. Retrieved 6 October 2013
- "Miss World 2013: "Contest Empowers Women And Gives Them A Voice" Says Chair Julia Morley", Huffington Post, 28 September 2013. Retrieved 6 October 2013
- "Miss World charity auction". talkvietnam.com. 26 Oct 2012. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "EFI Donates P1M To MWP". esquire.com. 2 Oct 2012. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Miss World charity Soccer Match". Beautywithapurpose.com. 21 Oct 2010. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "VANYA GIVES A GOLD STATUE OF PEACOCK FOR CHARITY AUCTION". Times Of India. 15 Aug 2012. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Miss World 2009 Charity Dinner". Beauty With A Purpose. 9 Nov 2009. Retrieved 14 May 2013.
- "Simon Cowell - 2009 Variety Club Humanitarian Award recipient". Youtube. 2 Mar 2 2011. Retrieved 14 May 2013. Check date values in:
- "The Humanitarian Award Honouring Julia Morley - Miss World Organization". Variety Ireland. 13 Sep 2010. Retrieved 14 May 2013.