Wertz made her name with the Fart Party strips, which were collected and published by Atomic Books in two volumes in 2007 and 2009. Commonly mistaken as a Web comic, neither Fart Party nor Museum of Mistakes (the strip's latest incarnation) is in fact a Web comic. Wertz has stated on her Web site, "These are simply some comics posted on my blog." Soon after the strip's success, she retired Fart Party, claiming she was unaware of its impending significance at the time of its creation. Wertz subsequently moved her online operations to the Museum of Mistakes site, though the Fart Party site still exists as an archive.
In 2010, Wertz published Drinking at the Movies, her first full-length graphic memoir. Against the backdrop of her move from San Francisco to New York, the book details serious issues, such as a family member's battle with addiction and her own excessive drinking, with trademark wit and self-effacement. The Los Angeles Times called Drinking at the Movies a "quiet triumph" and critic Rob Clough, in The Comics Journal, called the work "remarkable" for outgrowing the flaws he cites in Fart Party. Drinking at the Movies was nominated for a 2011 Eisner Award in the Best Humor Publication category. In 2008, Wertz was nominated for the Kim Yale Award for Best New Talent at the Lulu Awards .
Wertz published The Infinite Wait and Other Stories in September 2012. The book is a collection of three short autobiographical graphic novellas, "Industry", "A Strange and Curious Place" and "The Infinite Wait". According to the publisher, Koyama Press, the book's title "intentionally and ironically recalls the vacuous and pretentious book titles of the literary elite".
Wertz lives in Brooklyn, New York, where she shares a work studio with several other cartoonists.
- Wertz, Julia. "What This?" at JuliaWertz.com. Retrieved 18 July 2011.
- "Julia Wertz's Fart Party blows away; Museum of Mistakes steps in". Comics Beat. 15 March 2011. Retrieved 18 July 2011.
- Ulin, David L. "Book review: 'Drinking at the Movies' by Julia Wertz". 29 August 2010. Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 18 July 2011.
- Clough, Rob. "Bottled Up: Drinking at the Movies". 4 September 2010. The Comics Journal. Retrieved 18 July 2011.
- "2011 Eisner Award Nominations Announced". 8 April 2011. MTV Geek. Retrieved 18 July 2011.
- "The Infinite Wait and Other Stories". Koyama Press.
- Tom Spurgeon (21 October 2012). "CR Sunday Interview: Julia Wertz". The Comics Reporter.