|Birth name||Julian Raphael Nathaniel Joseph|
|Born||May 11, 1966
London, United Kingdom
|Occupations||Pianist, composer, arranger, broadcaster|
Joseph has worked solo, in his all-star big band, trio, quartet, forum project band or electric band.
Joseph's style combines a respect for the modern developments in jazz piano with its history. He works in both contemporary and traditional situations with his music. He is also active in jazz education helping to form the jazz syllabus for the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music in Great Britain.
Starting with his first album The Language of Truth in 1991, Joseph has six albums, one single, and one soundtrack to his credit, and has focused on live performance, composing, broadcasting and teaching. He performed at the 2003 London Jazz Festival and also hosts several radio shows on BBC Radio 3, including Jazz Line-up and the celebrated Jazz Legends. He has also made two jazz television series for Meridian, a jazz series for Sky TV's Artsworld Channel and the documentary A Festival of Jazz Piano (2006) for BBC Television in Wales directed by Celia Lowenstein.
Julian is also a trustee and vice-president of the National Youth Jazz Collective.
Years refer to date of release. Only recordings on which Joseph played are listed.
As leader or co-leader
- 1991: The Language of Truth
- 1991: The Other Side of Town (single released in various formats with varying numbers of tracks)
- 1994: Reality
- 1995: In Concert at the Wigmore Hall
- 1996: Universal Traveller
- 2009: Dance of the Three Legged Elephants (co-led with Matthew Barley)
- 2011: Julian Joseph Live at the Vortex in London
|1991||Barker, GuyGuy Barker||Isn't It?|
|2004||Cobham, BillyBilly Cobham||Art of Five|
|2002||Coleman, GeorgeGeorge Coleman||Blues Inside Out|
|1994||Freeman, ChicoChico Freeman||The Unspoken Word|
|2005||Torrini, EmilíanaEmilíana Torrini||Fisherman's Woman|
|2002||Floyd, Ruth NaomiRuth Naomi Floyd||Fan Into Flame|
|1994||(Various)||A Night at Ronnie's, Vol. 4|
|1999||Braden, DonDon Braden||Fire Within|
|1998||F, AdamAdam F||Music in My Mind|
|1996||Hagen, NinaNina Hagen||BeeHappy|
|1996||Toussaint, JeanJean Toussaint||Nazaire Who's Blues|
|1996||(Various)||Blaxploitation, Vol. 1|
|1995||(Various)||A Night at Ronnie's, Vol. 2|
|1992||Pine, CourtneyCourtney Pine||Closer to Home|
|1992||Pine, CourtneyCourtney Pine||To the Eyes of Creation|
|1991||(Various)||Beyond the Groove: Contemporary Jazz on the Move|
|1988||Pine, CourtneyCourtney Pine||Destiny's Song + the Image of Pursuance|
|1986||Pine, CourtneyCourtney Pine||Journey to the Urge Within|
- "Educator and Consultant for The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music". trumpetguild.org Subtitle: Intro Jazz, paragraph 1. Retrieved 2010-11-26.
- Turner, Greg. "The Language of Truth: Review". Allmusic. Retrieved 2010-11-26.
- "Jazz Line-Up by Julian Joseph on BBC Radio 3". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-11-26.
- Lindsay, Bruce (2010-09-03). "Julian Joseph: Joining Jazz and Baseball". All About Jazz. Retrieved 2010-11-26.