Julian Thompson (Royal Marines officer)
|Born||7 October 1934|
|Years of service||1952 – 1986|
|Commands held||40 Commando
3 Commando Brigade
|Awards||Companion of the Order of the Bath
Officer of the Order of the British Empire
Thompson joined the Royal Marines in 1952. During the 1960s he was deployed to Borneo for the Indonesia-Malaysia confrontation. He was appointed commanding officer of 40 Commando in 1975 and commander of 3 Commando Brigade in 1981 and in that role was British land commander on the islands during the first phase of the conflict ashore. He retired in 1986.
In retirement he has written extensively on the Falklands conflict and other aspects of British military history including the Iraq War. He is also a visiting professor at the department of War Studies, King's College, University of London.
- Julian Thompson (2009). 3 Commando Brigade In The Falklands: No Picnic. Pen & Sword Books Limited. ISBN 978-1-84415-879-9.
- Julian Thompson (1990). Ready for Anything: The Parachute Regiment at War, 1940-1982. Fontana/Collins. ISBN 978-0-00-637505-0.
- Julian Thompson (2002). The Imperial War Museum Book of the War in Burma, 1942-45: A Vital Contribution to Victory in the Far East. Sidgwick & Jackson. ISBN 978-0-283-07280-2.
- Julian Thompson (2003). Royal Marines: From Sea Soldiers to a Special Force. Diane Pub Co. ISBN 978-0-7567-6441-8.
- Julian Thompson (2011). Dunkirk: Retreat to Victory. Skyhorse Publishing Inc. ISBN 978-1-61145-314-0.
- Julian Thompson (2006). The 1916 Experience: Verdun and the Somme. Carlton. ISBN 978-1-84442-450-4.
- Julian Thompson (2009). Call to Arms: The Great Military Speeches. Book Sales, Inc. ISBN 978-1-84724-266-2.
- Works by or about Julian Thompson (Royal Marines officer) in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
M C L Wilkins
|Brigadier Commanding 3 Commando Brigade
J M C Garrod
|This biographical article related to the Royal Navy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|