Julian Voss-Andreae (born 15 August 1970) is a German sculptor living and working in the U.S.
Voss-Andreae was born in Hamburg, West Germany, and started out as a painter. He later studied experimental physics at the universities of Berlin, Edinburgh and Vienna. Voss-Andreae pursued his graduate research in quantum physics in Anton Zeilinger's research group, participating in an experiment demonstrating quantum behavior for the largest objects to date. He moved to the U.S. in 2000 and graduated from the Pacific Northwest College of Art in 2004.
Voss-Andreae’s work is heavily influenced by his background in science. His work includes protein sculptures, such as Angel of the West (2008), a large-scale outdoor sculpture for the Scripps Research Institute in Jupiter, Florida portraying the human antibody molecule, a sculpture for Nobel laureate Roderick MacKinnon based on the ion channel structure, and the quantum physics-inspired Quantum Man (2006).
- Wallace, Julie (Spring 2008). "Protein Sculptures for the People". AWIS Magazine: 14–17. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
- Arndt, Markus; O. Nairz, J. Voss-Andreae, C. Keller, G. van der Zouw, A. Zeilinger (14 October 1999). "Wave-particle duality of C60". Nature 401 (6754): 680–682. Bibcode:1999Natur.401..680A. doi:10.1038/44348. PMID 18494170. Retrieved 2009-01-12.
- Voss-Andreae, Julian (February 2005). "Protein Sculptures: Life's Building Blocks Inspire Art". Leonardo 38 (1): 41–45. doi:10.1162/leon.2005.38.1.41. Retrieved 2009-01-12.
- Sauter, Eric (November 10, 2008). "New Sculpture Portraying Human Antibody as Protective Angel Installed on Scripps Florida Campus". The Scripps Research Institute. Retrieved 2009-01-12.
- Ball, Philip (March 2008). "The crucible: Art inspired by science should be more than just a pretty picture". Chemistry World 5 (3): 42–43. Retrieved 2009-01-12.
- "Dual Nature". Science Magazine. August 18, 2006. Retrieved 2009-01-12.
- Farr, Sheila (July 27, 2007). "Sculpture show takes steps in right direction". The Seattle Times. Retrieved 2009-01-12.
- Ball, Philip (26 November 2009). "Quantum objects on show". Nature 462 (7272): 416. Bibcode:2009Natur.462..416B. doi:10.1038/462416a. Retrieved 2009-01-12.
- www.JulianVossAndreae.com Home Page
- Philip Ball's blog "homunculus" with Ball's 'Nature' review and Q&A with Voss-Andreae (November 2009)
- Oregon Art Beat: Quantum Sculptures with Julian Voss-Andreae Oregon Public Broadcasting TV piece about Voss-Andreae's work (December 2008)
- Protein Data Bank newsletter Interview: Julian Voss-Andreae, Protein Sculptor (pp. 9–11, January 2007)
- Seed Magazine Interview: Seeing Below the Surface: Julian Voss-Andreae expands the molecules of life through sculpture. (May 2006)
- Oregon Art Beat: Linus Pauling Statue Oregon Public Broadcasting TV piece about Voss-Andreae's Alpha Helix for Linus Pauling (May 2004)