Julie Culley at the 2009
U.S. Cross Country Championships
|Born||10 September 1981|
|Event(s)||1500 m, 5000 m,
|College team||Rutgers University|
|Club||New York Athletic Club|
|Coached by||Matt Centrowitz|
|Achievements and titles|
|World finals||2009, 5000 m|
|Olympic finals||2012 Finalist 5000m|
1500 m: 4:12.61
While competing for Rutgers University, Culley was an All-American in Cross Country her senior year. Despite often battling injuries, she set school records in the 3000 m, 5000 m, and Distance Medley Relay, and was a Big East Scholar Athlete of the Year. Culley went on to coach at Loyola College in Baltimore, before deciding to focus on running professionally.
At the 2008 U.S. Olympic Trials, Culley finished 7th in the 5000 m, with a time of 15:34.43. She was the first American finisher at the 2009 World Cross Country Championships, finishing 21st with a time of 28:08.
Culley finished fourth at the 2009 USA Championships in the 5000 m. She earned a spot on the U.S. 2009 World Championship team by attaining the "B" standard with a time of 15:20.53 at the 5000 m in Liege, Belgium.
At the 2009 World Championships, Culley finished seventh in the first heat of the 5000 m in 15:32.33 and did not advance.
Raised in Lebanon, New Jersey, she lived in Arlington, Virginia and trained under Olympic runner and current American University coach Matt Centrowitz, training with fellow American middle distance runner Lindsey Gallo. She returned to New Jersey in 2010, where she trains with coach Frank Gagliano.
On June 28, 2012, Culley qualified for the 2012 Summer Olympics with a first place finish in the women's 5000 m at the 2012 United States Olympic Trials. She ran a personal best in the heats, and finished in 14th in the final.
|1500 m||4:12.61||West Chester, PA, USA||June 9, 2012|
|One mile||4:34.80||Falmouth, MA, USA||August 8, 2008|
|3000 m||8:45.57||Monaco||July 20, 2012|
|5000 m||15:05.38||London, England||August 7, 2012|
|1500 m||4:17.68||New York, NY, USA||February 9, 2008|
|3000 m||8:55.62||Boston, MA, USA||February 28, 2009|
- All information taken from IAAF profile.
- Phillips, Hasim (August 5, 2009). "Former Scarlet Knight Represents United States at World Track Championships". Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- Gambaccini, Peter (February 12, 2009). "A Brief Chat With Julie Culley". Runner's World. Retrieved 2009-08-04.
- "Julie Culley Places Seventh In 5,000-Meter Final At 2008 Olympic Trials". July 5, 2008. Retrieved 2009-08-04.
- Gambaccini, Peter (July 3, 2009). "A Brief Chat With Julie Culley". Runner's World. Retrieved 2009-08-04.
- "Runner's World: Racing News". Runner's World. July 16, 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-04.
- "Team USA continues to move into finals in Berlin". USATF. August 19, 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-19.
- Gambaccini, Peter. "A Brief Chat With Erin Donohue". Runner's World Daily News. Retrieved 21 December 2010.
- "Julie Culley wins women's 5000m at Olympic Trials to qualify for London Olympics". The Express-Times. Retrieved 29 June 2012.
- Biographies Culley, Julie. IAAF. Retrieved on 2009-08-05.