|Occupation||Author, media personality|
Julie Spira is an author and media personality on the subjects of online dating, social media, mobile dating, and netiquette. She wrote The Perils of Cyber-Dating: Confessions of a Hopeful Romantic Looking for Love Online. Spira has written about the intersection of love and technology for numerous publications.
Broadcasting and Technology
While attending Ithaca College, Spira, then known as Julie Evans, became the first female on-air personality at WAAL-FM in Binghamton, NY. Spira’s digital career began when she worked for RKO Radio Networks as manager, Affiliate Relations in New York City. She relocated to Los Angeles, where she opened the west coast Affiliate office for RKO and was promoted to Director, Affiliate Relations. Her technology career grew further as she oversaw high speed Internet via satellite to over 100 countries while serving as Executive Vice President of Sales for Interpacket Networks.
While a technology executive and early adopter of the Internet, Spira became a charter member of Love@AOL in 1994, which was acquired by Match.com. Passionate about the intersection of love and technology, she began coaching singles on the Internet at this time and started writing online dating profiles for single men and women.
Spira is often called upon as an online dating expert. She has made many appearances and been quoted by major media outlets including USA Today, Mashable, and The New York Post, to discuss online dating safety, mobile dating, and other relationship topics. Her dating advice has appeared on numerous online dating sites including, Match.com, eHarmony, JDate, PlentyofFish, and Zoosk. Spira has been a guest on NPR’s All Things Considered as a mobile dating expert, speaking about the history of computer dating from the 1950s to the present day of mobile dating apps. Spira’s Mobile Dating Bootcamp was featured in the Washington Post, where she discussed the rapid growth of mobile dating and social networking applications.
The Perils of Cyber-Dating: Confessions of a Hopeful Romantic Looking for Love Online is a tell all memoir of Spira’s 250 online dates. The book was published in February 2009 by Morgan James Publishing and includes Internet dating advice for singles. The Santa Monica Daily Press called it “a must for this generation of singles, both male and female, who are into cyber-dating."  Spira’s second book will be titled The Rules of Netiquette: How to Mind your Manners on the Web.
Spira has shared her online dating and netiquette expertise at the following speaking engagements:
- 140 Conference (New York, April 2010) 
- 140 Conference (Los Angeles, 2010, 2013) 
- Digital LA (Los Angeles, 2012, 2013, 2014) 
- Social Media Club (Los Angeles 2010, 2013, 2014) 
- Social Media Week (Los Angeles, 2013, 2013) 
- Blog World and New Media Expo (Los Angeles, 2011) 
- New York Public Library (New York, April 2010)
- The Perils of Cyber-Dating: Confessions of a Hopeful Romantic Looking for Love Online
- Psychology Today, Elizabeth Svoboda, January 01, 2011, The Thoroughly Modern Guide to Breakups – Psychology Today
- Why Would You Break Up By Sending a Text? - Sharon Jayson - USA Today - July 19, 2013 
- When Cupid Can't Hide - Jozen Cummings - October 21, 2012 - New York Post 
- Radio Broadcasting History Radio People by Name (S2)
- DIR Planning Own Syndication - Billboard - February 20, 1982
- InterPacket Networks Reaches Global Landmark: Delivering Internet Services in 100 Countries Worldwide - Business Wire - May 18, 2000 
- Online and mobile dating face privacy, safety concerns - USA Today - Sharon Jayson - March 27, 2014 
- New Social Media Love Rules - Joann Pan - July 9, 2012 - Mashable -
- Searching for love on Instagram clicks with many singles - Annie Daly - New York Post - April 13, 2014 
- First Date Mistakes You Can't Afford to Make - Julie Spira - Match.com
- Men - 5 Simple Ways to Charm Your Date - Julie Spira - eHarmony.com
- How to Date Someone Who is in Transition - Julie Spira - JDate.com
- Halloween Costumes to Rock Your Dating Life - Julie Spira - pof.com
- Zoosk.com Advice: Ask Julie Spira, Online Dating Expert - Zoosk.com
- Smartphone Apps Help More Singles Find The Boy (Or Girl) Next Door - Lauren Silverman - NPR's All Things Considered - August 20, 2012 
- Mobile dating apps grow in popularity - Amrita Jayakumar - The Washington Post - August 18, 2012 
- [ http://smdp.com/the-perils-of-cyber-dating/74239]
- Mind Your Virtual Manners - NBC New York
- Julie Spira Signs Foreign Rights Agreement for The Perils of Cyber-Dating - Webwire – September 29, 2010 
- “Big Brothers, Big Sisters Dream Dream Big” - Beverly Hills Courier, Oct. 15, 2010