Julie Suk (born Julie Madison Gaillard; 1924) is a prize-winning American poet and writer from Charlotte, North Carolina. She is the author of five volumes of poetry, and co-editor of Bear Crossings: an Anthology of North American Poets. She is included in The Autumn House Anthology of Contemporary American Poetry. Her poems have appeared in many literary journals including The Georgia Review, Great River Review, The Laurel Review, Ploughshares, Poetry, Shenandoah, and TriQuarterly.
Julie Suk was born and raised in Mobile, Alabama. She attended Stephens College and the University of Alabama. In 1944 she married naval officer Bill Suk. For many years she was an artist, painting landscapes in oils. It was not until the 1960s that Suk took up poetry, inspired in part by the work of French poet Saint-John Perse. She has lived in Charlotte since 1966.
- In 2004 Julie Suk received the Irene Blair Honeycutt Lifetime Achievement Award from Central Piedmont Community College
- The Dark Takes Aim won the 2003 North Carolina Poetry Society’s Brockman-Campbell Book Award and The Oscar Arnold Young Award from The Poetry Council of North Carolina.
- Julie Suk was awarded the 1993 Bess Hokin Prize from Poetry magazine.
- The Angel of Obsession won the 1992 Arkansas Poetry Award and the Roanoke-Chowan Poetry Award.
- The Medicine Woman. Laurinburg, NC: St. Andrews Press. 1980. ISBN 0932662323.
- Heartwood: Poems. Davidson, NC: Briarpatch Press. 1991. OCLC 26794405.
- The Angel of Obsession: Poems. Fayetteville, AR: University of Arkansas Press. 1992. ISBN 1557282463.
- The Dark Takes Aim. Pittsburgh, PA: Autumn House Press. 2003. ISBN 0966941985.
- Lie Down with Me: New and Selected Poems. Pittsburgh, PA: Autumn House Press. 2011. ISBN 1932870555.
- Newman, Anne & Suk, Julie, ed. (1978). Bear Crossings: An Anthology of North American Poets. Newport Beach, CA: New South Co. ISBN 0917990021.
- McGovern, Robert & Haven, Stephen, ed. (1999). And What Rough Beast: Poems at the End of the Century. Ashland, OH: Ashland Poetry Press. ISBN 0912592419.
- Parisi, Joseph & Young, Stephen, ed. (2002). The Poetry anthology, 1912-2002 : ninety years of America's most distinguished verse magazine. Chicago, IL: Ivan R. Dee. ISBN 156634687 Check
- Kitchen, Judith & Kooser, Ted, ed. (2009). The Poets Guide to the Birds. Tallahassee, FL: Anhinga Press. ISBN 1934695041.
- The Autumn House Anthology of Contemporary American Poetry, Pittsburgh, PA: Autumn House Press, 2011, ISBN 1-932870-48-2
- Autumn House Press: Lie Down With Me: New and Selected Poems by Julie Suk, About the Author
- The Academy of American Poets: Julie Suk
- The Charlotte Observer: The poet next door, by Pam Kelley, January 8, 2012
- Johnson C. Smith University: Irene Blair Honeycutt Award for Lifetime Achievement in the Literary Arts
- North Carolina Poetry Society—Brockman-Campbell Book Award
- Oscar Arnold Young Contest for Book – First Place, Bay Leaves, number thirty, 2004, p. 10
- Poetry Magazine Prizes: Past Winners
- Central Piedmont Community College: Sensoria, a celebration of the arts, 2012
- North Carolina Literary and Historical Association: Roanoke-Chowan Award for Poetry