|Origin||Long Beach, California, USA|
|Genres||electronic, dance, alternative rock, alternative, Indie, indietronic|
|Associated acts||Orgy, Dead by Sunrise, Linkin Park, Circuit Freq, The Wondergirls, Street Drum Corps, Vandal|
Anthony 'Fu' Valcic
|Past members||Brandon Belsky
Julien-K is an electronic music group based in Long Beach, California that began as a side project for electronic music created by Amir Derakh and Ryan Shuck from Orgy, with the later addition of Elias Andra and Brandon Belsky.
Their debut album, Death to Analog, which was mixed by Tim Palmer, was released on March 10, 2009 in the U.S., and later on March 5, 2010 in Europe. The album was initially planned to be released on February 17, 2009, the date the United States switched from analog to digital television.
Julien-K's sophomore album We're Here With You was released on January 23, 2012.
After the release of Orgy's third album, Punk Statik Paranoia, internal conflicts within the band caused Shuck and Derakh to find themself writing songs that lead vocalist Jay Gordon had no interest in working on. The pair opted to continue writing and recording material, with Shuck stepping in on vocals, before deciding to launch their own side project with the addition of drummer Elias Andra and keyboardist Brandon Belsky.
Julien-K's webpage was launched in the summer of 2003 with initial demo versions of songs "Look at You", "Kick the Bass", "Someday Soon", "Everyone Knows", and "Technical Difficulties", the latter of which was later featured both in the film and on the soundtrack from Michael Bay's 2007 Transformers.
Julien-K lent musical contributions to several video games, including Sonic Heroes ("This Machine"), Shadow the Hedgehog ("Waking Up"), and the official musical score for the 2009 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen video game.
In June 2010 Ryan Shuck announced that Brandon Belsky had left the band, to be replaced by long-time collaborator Anthony 'Fu' Valcic.
|“||Brandon has left the band due to creative differences. He was genuinely not happy with the direction we have been taking on the new record... the band on the other hand is excited and enjoying exploring new territory. We can barely contain ourselves and our new material. Unfortunately a situation like this can only mean parting ways.||”|
In November 2011 it was announced that, while remaining a member of the band, after their January 21 live show in Los Angeles, Andra would be taking a break from touring with the band to be with his family, including a new baby on the way. In January 2012 it was announced that Frank Zummo from Street Drum Corps would be replacing Andra.
Collaborations with Chester Bennington 
The Julien-K production team of Derakh, Shuck and Valcic also worked with Chester Bennington to perform an exclusive version of the song "Morning After" for the Underworld: Evolution soundtrack and for the remix album of the band Mindless Self Indulgence's "What Do They Know?". The track was released as a bonus remix on Another Mindless Rip Off, with a completely "Instrumental DJ Dub" version being released for free download on their official website.
|“||Both bands are the same. The one where Chester sings and writes is Dead by Sunrise, but when I sing, and Amir and I are the primary writers, it becomes Julien-K and it's more electro... Julien-K and Dead by Sunrise are basically a creative collective, we're sort of a Warhol-style factory in that sense; Dead by Sunrise is Chester's Julien-K if that makes any sense.||”|
During Projekt Revolution 2007, Bennington replaced lead singer Ryan Shuck for the Chicago date of the tour while Shuck attended his brother's wedding.
In 2007, prior to the release of their debut album, Julien-K was on the main stage for Linkin Park's Projekt Revolution tour and one of the opening bands for Evanescence's North American "The Open Door" tour, and followed it up in 2008 opening for Mindless Self Indulgence, with supporting bands Fake Shark - Real Zombie!, London After Midnight, The Birthday Massacre and Combichrist.
In July 2010 the band announced their first European tour, scheduled for August and September, playing in Germany, Netherlands, France and England.
Julien-K appeared as the musical guest at the 4th annual Summer of Sonic fan convention in London on the 25th June 2011 as part of their second European tour.
Following the release of We're Here With You by band embarked on their third European tour.
Julien-K will support Mindless Self Indulgence on their European tour in fall 2012.
Band members 
- Current members
- Ryan Shuck - lead vocals, rhythm guitar
- Amir Derakh - lead guitar, synthesizer
- Anthony 'Fu' Valcic - keyboard, programming, samples, bass guitar
- Frank Zummo - drums
- Former members
- Brandon Belsky - bass guitar, synthesizer, backing vocals
- Elias Andra (hiatus from touring) - drums, percussion, backing vocals
- Live Members
JK DJS 
Aside from the band, Amir Derakh and Brandon Belsky used to DJ under the moniker of JK DJS. They did their first DJ performance together December 31, 2007 at a hotel resort in Del Mar (San Diego), California. Since then they have played numerous shows and have released some of their DJ sets as free downloads from their MySpace. However, since Brandon is no longer a part of Julien-K, it can be assumed that the project has been discontinued.
Released DJ sets 
JK DJ's edits 
- Cities In Dust (JK DJS Edit)
- Spiral (Felix Cartal Remix) (JK DJS Edit)
- Kick the Bass Promo EP (2008, Self Released)
- Look at U (Deadmau5 Remixes) (2008, Metropolis Records) - Digital Release
- Maestro (Koma + Bones Remixes) (2008, Metropolis Records) - Digital Release
- Someday Soon Remixes (2009, Metropolis Records) - Digital Release
- Kick The Bass Remixes (2009, Metropolis Records) - Digital Release
- Spiral Remixes (2009, Metropolis Records) - Digital Release
- SDS Sessions V.1 (2011, Tiefdruck-Musik) - Vinyl Release
- We're Here With You Remix EP (2012, Circuit Freq Records) - Digital Release
- Kick the Bass (2009, Metropolis) - Digital Release
- Kick the Bass (2010, Tiefdruck-Musik) - European Release
- Dreamland (2010, Tiefdruck-Musik) - European Release
- Breakfast in Berlin (2011, Tiefdruck-Musik) - European Digital Release
- Cruel Daze of Summer (2012, Circuit Freq Records) - Digital Release
Music videos 
- Kick the Bass (2009)
- "Fail With Grace" (2011)
- Breakfast In Berlin (2012)
- Flashpoint Riot (2012) iTunes Only Release
- We're Here With You (2012)
- Cruel Daze Of Summer (2012)
- Nights Of Future Past (2013)
- Cairns, Daniel. "A Chat With Julien-K". Access All Areas. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- "Soundtracks for Sonikku hiirôzu (2003) (VG)". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- "Julien-K Scores Transformers 2". pluginmusic.com. 2009-06-04. Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- "Brandon leaving the band". 6 June 2010. Retrieved 7 August 2010.
- "A very important announcement from your friends in Julien-K". Systeme de Street. 2011-11-30. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- "Dead By Sunrise - Album Trailer". InsideTheTourBus. 2009-07-30. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- "Julien-K". SuicideGirls.com. 19 March 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-19.
- "Press Release for 2010 European Tour". 23 July 2010. Retrieved 4 August 2010.
- "JK DJS MIXES van JULIEN-K DJS op Myspace". Blogs.myspace.com. 2008-04-22. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- "Systeme de Street - Julien-K's 2nd album, ''We're Here With You''". Us2.campaign-archive1.com. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- "We're Here With You Remix EP". Beatport.com. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- "Lauras JULIEN-K Tourtagebuch – Part 2". 3 August 2010. Retrieved 4 August 2010.
- ":: Julien-K : Kick The Bass Video ::". Bratmarketing.com. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- Official website
- Julien-K on Myspace
- Blender.com Interview
- The Second Supper Interview with Ryan Shuck