|Full name||Julio Ernesto Granda Zúñiga|
February 25, 1967 |
|FIDE rating||2674 (July 2014)|
|Peak rating||2685 (April 2014)|
In his coastal town, he learned how to play chess at the age of five. By the age of 19, Granda had obtained the title of Grandmaster by the FIDE, the World Chess Federation, after surpassing the chess rating of 2500. He finished 1st with Bent Larsen at Mar del Plata 1993. He is a five-time chess champion of Peru, winning in 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, and 2002. Granda won the 4th American Continental Championship at Cali 2007 on tie-break between the five first place finishers at 8/11. This victory qualified him for the Chess World Cup 2007 where he lost his first round match to Arkadij Naiditsch ½–1½. In December 2009, he tied for 1st–4th with Georg Meier, Viktor Láznička and Kiril Georgiev in the 19th Magistral Pamplona Tournament. In 2010, he won the 5th Torneo Abierto in Guadalajara. In 2011 he tied for 2nd–7th with Aleksander Delchev, Ivan Šarić, Pablo Almagro Llamas, Maxim Turov and Mihail Marin the 31st Villa de Benasque Open. In the Chess World Cup 2013 in Norway, Granda has reached round four, after knocking out Leif Erlend Johannessen, Peter Leko and Anish Giri.
Notable chess games
- Julio Ernesto Granda-Zuniga vs Yasser Seirawan, Buenos Aires, 1993, English Opening: Anglo-Indian Defense, King's Knight Variation (A15), 1-0
- Julio Ernesto Granda-Zuniga vs Gata Kamsky, cat. 16 1996, Queen's Indian Defense: Fianchetto, Check Variation Intermezzo Line (E15), 1-0
- Julio Ernesto Granda-Zuniga vs Alexander Beliavsky, Bled Olympiad 2002, Bird Opening: General (A02), 1-0
- Julio Ernesto Granda-Zuniga vs Rafael Duailibe Leitao, Copa ENTEL 2004, Slav Defense: Chameleon Variation (D15), 1-0
- Torre 64 >> 100% Ajedrez >> - ¿Quién es un ajedrecista profesional?
- Crowther, Mark (23 July 2007). The Week In Chess 663: IV Continental Cali. London Chess Center.
- Crowther, Mark. "The Week in Chess: 19th Pamplona International". Chess.co.uk. Retrieved 31 December 2009.
- "5th Torneo Abierto Internacional UNED Guadalajara". Chessdom. Retrieved 20 April 2010.
- "Tigran Petrosian Victorious in Benasque Open". Chessdom. Retrieved 17 July 2011.
- OlimpBase Men's Chess Olympiads Julio Granda Zuñiga