Julius Nyerere International Airport
|Julius Nyerere International Airport
Uwanja wa Ndege wa Kimataifa wa Julius Nyerere
|IATA: DAR – ICAO: HTDA
– WMO: 63894
|Owner||Government of Tanzania|
|Operator||Tanzania Airports Authority|
|Location||Dar es Salaam, Tanzania|
|Elevation AMSL||182 ft / 55 m|
|Metric tonnes of cargo||23,946,242|
Julius Nyerere International Airport (JNIA) (IATA: DAR, ICAO: HTDA), is the principal airport serving Dar es Salaam, the largest city in Tanzania. It is about 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) southwest of the city. The airport was known as Dar es Salaam International Airport before being renamed in 2006 in honour of Julius Nyerere, the first president of Tanzania. The airport has flights to destinations in Africa, Europe, and the Middle East. The government has contracted for the construction of Terminal III.
In October 2005, Dar es Salaam International Airport (DIA) was renamed Mwalimu Julius Kambarage Nyerere International Airport. A total of 9,501,265 passengers used the airport from 1980 to 2004; averaging 2,770 passengers per day.
On 1 November 2006, the government renamed the airport to Julius Nyerere International Airport.
In 2011, the airport served 1,829,219 passengers.
In April 2013, the Tanzania Airports Authority signed a TSH 275 billion (USD 168 million) contract with BAM International of the Netherlands for the construction of the first phase of Terminal III. After completion of the first phase, the new terminal will have a capacity of 3.5 million passengers per year. The second phase will add additional capacity, for a total of 6 million passengers per year. After completion of Terminal III, the existing Terminal II will be devoted solely to domestic passengers.
Airlines and destinations
|Astral Aviation||Nairobi-Jomo Kenyatta|
|Martinair Cargo / KLM||Amsterdam|
- "JNIA Facts". Tanzania Airports Authority. Retrieved 2 June 2013.
- "History of Julius Nyerere Int. Airport", Tanzania Airports Authority
- DIA becomes Mwalimu JK Nyerere...
- "Main airport changes name, yet again"
- "State seals contract to build terminal three at Dar airport", Daily News, reported by Abdulwakil Saiboko, 19 April 2013
- "iafrica.com | business | business news | Fastjet set for first flight". Business.iafrica.com. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Zambia Airline company adds Dar es Salaam in Tanzania". eTurboNews.com. 2013-09-15. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- Tropical Air (Z) Ltd Schedule Flights - Timetable 2013, June 2013
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Julius Nyerere International Airport.|
- Julius Nyerere International Airport
- Accident history for DAR at Aviation Safety Network
- Airport information for HTDA at Great Circle Mapper.
- Current weather for HTDA at NOAA/NWS
- Airport information for HTDA at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.