Julius Nyerere International Airport
- HTDA redirects here. For the band, see How To Destroy Angels.
|Julius Nyerere International Airport|
|IATA: DAR – ICAO: HTDA
– WMO: 63894
|Operator||Tanzania Airports Authority|
|Location||Dar es Salaam, Tanzania|
|Elevation AMSL||182 ft / 55 m|
Julius Nyerere International Airport (JNIA) (IATA: DAR, ICAO: HTDA) is the principal airport serving Dar es Salaam, the largest city in Tanzania. It is located about 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) southwest of the city. The airport has flights to destinations in Africa, Europe, and the Middle East. It was formerly officially known as Dar es Salaam International Airport before being renamed in 2006 in honour of Julius Nyerere, the nation's first president.
In October 2005, Dar es Salaam International Airport (DIA) was renamed Mwalimu Julius Kambarage Nyerere International Airport, on 1 November 2006 Julius Nyerere International Airport.
A total of 9,501,265 passengers used the airport from 1980 to 2004, averaging 2,770 passengers per day.
In 2011, the airport served 1,829,219 passengers.
In April 2013, the Tanzania Airports Authority signed a TSH 275 billion (USD 168 million) contract with BAM International of the Netherlands for the construction of the first phase of Terminal III, with a capacity of 3.5 million passengers per year. The second phase will add capacity for 6 million passengers per year. After completion of Terminal III, Terminal II will be devoted to domestic passengers.
Airlines and destinations
|Astral Aviation||Nairobi-Jomo Kenyatta|
|Martinair Cargo / KLM||Amsterdam|
|Etihad Airways||Abu Dhabi, Nairobi|
- "JNIA Statistics". Tanzania Airports Authority. Retrieved 27 August 2014.
- "History of Julius Nyerere Int. Airport", Tanzania Airports Authority
- "Main airport changes name, yet again"
- DIA becomes Mwalimu JK Nyerere...
- "State seals contract to build terminal three at Dar airport", Daily News, reported by Abdulwakil Saiboko, 19 April 2013
- "Air Seychelles to launch services to Dar es salaam". Air Seychelles. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- "iafrica.com | business | business news | Fastjet set for first flight". Business.iafrica.com. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "Inter Air Adds Johannesburg - Dar es Salaam Service from late-June 2014". Airline Route. 2 July 2014. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "Kenya Airways Adds Mombasa – Dar es Salaam Service from July 2014". 25 March 2014. Retrieved 25 March 2014.
- Malawi Airlines begin service to Dar es Salaam from Lilongwe from January 2014.
- Tropical Air (Z) Ltd Schedule Flights – Timetable 2013, June 2013
|Find more about JNIA at Wikipedia's sister projects|
|Media from Commons|
|Database entry Q1411192 on Wikidata|
- Accident history for DAR at Aviation Safety Network
- Airport information for HTDA at Great Circle Mapper.
- Current weather for HTDA at NOAA/NWS
- Airport information for HTDA at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.