Julius Nyerere International Airport
- HTDA redirects here. For the band, see How to Destroy Angels (band).
|Julius Nyerere International Airport|
|IATA: DAR – ICAO: HTDA
– WMO: 63894
|Operator||Tanzania Airports Authority|
|Location||Dar es Salaam, Tanzania|
|Elevation AMSL||182 ft / 55 m|
Julius Nyerere International Airport (JNIA) (IATA: DAR, ICAO: HTDA) is the principal airport serving Dar es Salaam, the largest city in Tanzania. It is located about 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) southwest of the city centre. The airport has flights to destinations in Africa, Europe, and the Middle East. It was formerly officially known as Dar es Salaam International Airport before being renamed in 2006 in honour of Julius Nyerere, the nation's first president.
In October 2005, Dar es Salaam International Airport (DIA) was renamed Mwalimu Julius Kambarage Nyerere International Airport, on 1 November 2006 Julius Nyerere International Airport.
A total of 9,501,265 passengers used the airport from 1980 to 2004, averaging 2,770 passengers per day.
In 2011, the airport served 1,829,219 passengers.
In April 2013, the Tanzania Airports Authority signed a TSH 275 billion (USD 168 million) contract with BAM International of the Netherlands for the construction of the first phase of Terminal III, with a capacity of 3.5 million passengers per year. The second phase will add capacity for an additional 2.5 million passengers per year. After completion of Terminal III, Terminal II will be devoted solely to domestic passengers.
Airlines and destinations
The following airlines operate at the airport:
|Astral Aviation||Nairobi-Jomo Kenyatta|
|Martinair Cargo / KLM||Amsterdam|
|Etihad Airways||Abu Dhabi, Nairobi|
- "Consolidated Traffic Statistics" (PDF). Tanzania Airports Authority. Retrieved 21 September 2014.
- "Main airport changes name, yet again"
- DIA becomes Mwalimu JK Nyerere...
- "Tanzania: State seals contract to build terminal three at Dar airport", Daily News, reported by Abdulwakil Saiboko, reprinted at allAfrica website, 19 April 2013
- "Airline Operators". Tanzania Airports Authority. 2014. Retrieved 24 September 2014.
- "Etihad Airways launches daily service to Dar es Salaam". Etihad Airways. 21 September 2014. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "Air Tanzania, Interair in code sharing pact". Daily News. 27 June 2014. Retrieved 24 September 2014.
- "Interair launches Johannesburg-Dar es Salaam flights". worldairlinenews.com. 3 July 2014. Retrieved 24 September 2014.
- D.M., Stan (June 2014). "Ar Tanzania returns to South African market". aviationtz.com. Retrieved 24 September 2014.
Find more about
at Wikipedia's sister projects
|Media from Commons|
|Database entry Q1411192 on Wikidata|
- Accident history for DAR at Aviation Safety Network
- Airport information for HTDA at Great Circle Mapper.
- Current weather for HTDA at NOAA/NWS
- Airport information for HTDA at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- JNIA approach on YouTube