Jungle Tales #7 (Sept. 1955). Cover art by Sol Brodsky.
|Publication date||Sept. 1954 to Sept. 1955|
|Number of issues||7|
|Writer(s)||Don Rico, Paul S. Newman|
|Artist(s)||Joe Maneely, Ogden Whitney, Art Peddy, George Tuska, Jay Scott Pike, Fred Kida, Sid Greene|
Jungle Tales ran seven issues, cover-dated September 1954 to September 1955. It was renamed and continued as Jann of the Jungle from #8-17 (Nov. 1955 - June 1957), starring the titular jungle girl character.
Marvel's first series star of color
One regular feature in Jungle Tales, "Waku, Prince of the Bantu", starred an African chieftain in Africa, with no regularly featured Caucasian characters. Marvel Comics' first Black feature star, he was created by writer Don Rico and artist Ogden Whitney, succeeded by artist John Romita Sr. Waku, who predated mainstream comics' first black superhero, Marvel's Black Panther, by nearly a dozen years, headlined one of four regular features in each issue. It would take a decade for the first African-American series star, the Western character Lobo, to appear, and nearly two decades before the likes of the Black Panther, Luke Cage, and the Falcon would star in solo series.
The other features were "Jann of the Jungle", created by writer Rico and penciler Art Peddy; "Cliff Mason" a.k.a. "Cliff Mason, White Hunter", created by Paul S. Newman and penciler Sid Greene; and "The Unknown Jungle", featuring stories of African animals and nature in conflict.
- Marvel Masterworks: Atlas Era Jungle Adventure Vol. 2—includes Jungle Tales #1-4
Additional Atlas jungle titles
Two brethren titles were published by Atlas. The six-issue Jungle Action (Oct. 1954 - Aug. 1955) featured Lo-Zar, Lord of the Jungle; Jungle Boy' Leopard Girl; and Man-Oo the Mighty. It was renamed and continued as Jann of the Jungle from #8-17 (Nov. 1955 - June 1957).
- Jungle Tales #1 (Sept. 1954) at the Grand Comics Database
- Jungle Tales, at the Grand Comics Database.
- Nevins, Jess. "Waku". A Guide to Marvel's Pre-FF #1 Heroes. Archived from the original on January 5, 2013. Retrieved January 5, 2013.
- Jungle Action, Marvel, 1954 Series, at the Grand Comics Database.
- Lorna, the Jungle Queen and Lorna, the Jungle Queen at the Grand Comics Database.
- Nevins, Jess. "Cliff Mason". A Guide to Marvel's Pre-FF #1 Heroes. Archived from the original on January 5, 2013. Retrieved January 5, 2013.
|This comics-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|