Junior Marvin in Santa Monica (2007)
|Birth name||Donald Hanson Marvin Kerr Richards Jr|
|Also known as||Junior Hanson, Junior Kerr|
|Genres||Reggae, Rock, R&B|
|Occupation(s)||Singer-songwriter, author, poet, artist|
|Labels||Manticore, Island, Universal|
|Associated acts||Bob Marley & The Wailers, The Wailers Band, Hanson, Steve Winwood, Bobby Tench, Rebop Kwaku Baah. Linda Lewis|
Junior Marvin (born 1949 as Donald Hanson Marvin Kerr Richards Jr) also known as Junior Marvin-Hanson, Junior Hanson and Junior Kerr, is a Jamaican-born guitarist and singer best known for his association with Bob Marley and The Wailers. He started his career as Junior Marvin with the band Hanson in 1973. Marvin has also been associated with Gass, Keef Hartley Band, Toots & the Maytals and Steve Winwood. In 2007, Marvin recorded a solo album entitled Wailin' For Love. In 2009 Marvin, along with Al Anderson, formed The Original Wailers and Junior left this Band in April 2011.
He formed his own band Hanson also known as Junior Marvin's Hanson in 1973 and recorded two albums. Marvin met Bob Marley on 14 February 1977 and joined Bob Marley and The Wailers Band. After Bob Marley's death Marvin carried on releasing material under the name The Wailers Band releasing the albums ID, Majestic Warriors, Jah Message, and Live 95-97 My Friends. In 1997 Marvin left The Wailers Band and relocated to Brazil, where he formed a short-lived group called Batuka. Following his return to Jamaica he continued working as a session player and later toured with Kaliroots and The Wailers Band. He has been touring with The Original Wailers since 2009 and went Solo in 2011. On February 6th 2013 Junior Released two CDs "Smokin' To The Big M Music " and " Lion To Zion ". In 2014 he formed a new band, Junior Marvin's force one and returned to the studio to record a new album in March 2014.
- 1965 - Blue-Ace-Unit with Calvin 'Fuzzy' Samuel.
- 1969 - White Rabbit with Linda Lewis.
- 1970 - Keef Hartley Band as Junior Kerr.
- 1973 - Hanson as Junior Hanson.
- 1977 - Bob Marley & The Wailers as Junior Marvin
- 1981 - The Wailers Band
- 1997 - Batuka
- 2005 - The Wailers Band
- 2008 - The Original Wailers
- Gass Juju Polydor (1970) credited as Junior Kerr
- Toots & the Maytals Reggae Got Soul (1976)
- Delroy Washington I Sus (1976)
- Stomu Yamashta, Steve Winwood, Michael Shrieve Go (1976) credited as Julian Marvin
- Steve Winwood Steve Winwood (1977) credited as Junior Hanson or Julian [Jr] Marvin
- Burning Spear Hail H.I.M. (1980) and The Fittest of the Fittest (1983)
- Joe Higgs Blackman Know Yourself (1990)
- Bunny Wailer Hall of Fame: A Tribute to Bob Marley (1995)
- Don Carlos Prophecy (1995)
- Culture Payday (1999)
- Israel Vibration Jericho (2000)
- Lenny Kravitz on Saturday Night Live, 20 January 2001
- O.A.R. "Any Time Now" and "Night Shift/Stir It Up," (2002)
- Alpha Blondy Jah Victory (2007)
- Quique Neira (Chile), Jah Rock (2007)
- Jah Roots Joy Ganjah Records (2008)
- Regan Perry "Flow" Mash It Up Records (2013)
- Wailin' For Love (2007)
- Moskowitz, David. Bob Marley. Greenwood Publishing Group (2007). ISBN 978-0-313-33879-3
- Official website
- Original Wailers website
- Junior Marvin discography at Discogs
- Fiji Times article (Dec 2006)
- Miller, Mark (1999) Junior Marvin Out of the Shadow & Into the Light. New York Times Service.