Junius P. Rodriguez
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (April 2010)|
Junius P. Rodriguez (born June 26, 1957) is a history professor at Eureka College in Eureka, Illinois, who has been the general editor of reference books on the history of slavery in the United States and the world.
Early life, education and career
Born in Thibodaux, Louisiana, Rodriguez grew up in the community of Raceland, Louisiana. After earning his B.A. from Nicholls State University (1979), he taught in the public school system of Lafourche Parish, Louisiana, for nearly a decade.
Rodriguez was elected to the position of Parish Councilman after Lafourche Parish, Louisiana, adopted a Home Rule Charter that instituted the council system of government. He served one term from 1979-1983.
Rodriguez has been a professor at Eureka since 1992.
The scholarly journals have given favorable reviews to his books one of which was awarded the top prize by the American Library Association for reference works. Thus Professor John K. Thornton, writing in a leading journal concludes regarding the two-volume The Historical Encyclopedia of World Slavery (1999), "On the whole, however, this is a valuable resource, and one that repays curious browsing as well as focused research. It is well worthwhile for small libraries to pay the asking price for these large and handsome volumes." Rodriguez has often been called upon by the editors of leading journals to evaluate the latest scholarship, including the Journal of Illinois History Civil War History, The Journal of Southern History, Louisiana History and The Journal of American History..
John Greenfieldt and Patrice Bartell recommended his Encyclopedia of Slave Resistance and Rebellion for public library core collections, saying, it "provides a solid examination of the history of resistance to slavery and begins to examine some of the cultural issues that both maintained slavery and downplayed resistance….The text will serve as a good accompaniment to reference materials on slavery, so that readers understand that with slavery went resistance. It is recommended for public and academic libraries."
In 2002, Rodriguez helped draw national attention to the 500th anniversary of the beginning of the transatlantic slave trade. The journalist DeWayne Wickham described his efforts as "a perfect teachable moment for discussion and reflection" that was fitting for the event.
- The Historical Encyclopedia of World Slavery, two volumes (1997) – ABC-CLIO
- Chronology of World Slavery (1999) – ABC-CLIO
- The Louisiana Purchase: A Historical and Geographical Encyclopedia (2002) – ABC-CLIO
- Encyclopedia of Slave Resistance and Rebellion, two volumes (2007) - Greenwood
- Slavery in the United States: A Social, Political, and Historical Encyclopedia, two volumes (2007) – ABC-CLIO
- Encyclopedia of Emancipation and Abolition in the Transatlantic World, three volumes (2007) – M.E. Sharpe
- Slavery in the Modern World: A History of Political, Social, and Economic Oppression (ABC-CLIO, 2 vol 2011)
Legacy and honors
- 2000, Chronology of World Slavery, won the "Outstanding reference sources 2000", from the American Library Association.
- "Louisiana's Road to the Future," The Daily Comet, Sept. 22, 1987.
- Rodriguez CV
- The Journal of Southern History, Vol. 65, No. 3 (Aug., 1999), pp. 604-605
- Nov 1999, Vol. 65 Issue 4, p897,
- Journal of American History March 2006, Vol. 92 Issue 4, p 1425-1426; March 2008, Vol. 94 Issue 4, p1230-1231
- John Greenfieldt and Patrice Bartell, Public library core collection: a selection guide to reference books and adult nonfiction (2008) p. 206
- DeWayne Wickham, "Sad Anniversary Needs Reflection," USA Today, March 31, 2002; Lewis W. Diuguid, Discovering the Real America: Toward A More Perfect Union (Boca Raton, FL: BrownWalker Press, 2007), p. 162.
- Hupp, Stephen L.; Kohl, David F. Reference & User Services Quarterly, Fall 1998, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p96-96; and http://www.abc-clio.com/products/overview.aspx?productid=109169
- Journal of Southern History, Feb. 2002, Vol. 68 Issue 1, p246-47; and http://www.abc-clio.com/products/overview.aspx?productid=109096
- Stratton, Steve. Booklist, 8/1/2007, Vol. 103 Issue 22, p 102; and http://www.greenwood.com/catalog/GR3271.aspx
- Glantz, Shelley. Library Media Connection, Oct 2007, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p91; and http://www.abc-clio.com/products/overview.aspx?productid=109017&viewid=1
- Against the Grain, November 2007, p. 65; and http://www.mesharpe.com/mall/resultsa.asp?Title=Encyclopedia+of+Emancipation+and+Abolition+in+the+Transatlantic+World