Jurien Bay Marine Park
|Jurien Bay Marine Park|
|Location||West coast of Western Australia|
|Area||823.75 km2 (318.05 sq mi)|
The Jurien Bay Marine Park was formally declared on 31 August 2003 and is located 200 to 300 kilometres (120 to 190 mi) north of Perth along the newly opened Indian Ocean Drive that extends south from Green Head to the Southern boundary of Nambung National Park. It includes many of the islands located in this region.
Approximately 12 per cent of West Australian waters are currently included in marine parks and reserves, and about 2.4 per cent of state waters are in sanctuary (‘no take’) zones. A small part of the Jurien Bay Marine Park has been allocated as a sanctuary and is subject to fisheries regulations.
Western Australia’s marine areas are among the least disturbed in the world rich in biodiversity as the coast has two overlapping biogeographic regions, the tropical north (north of Ningaloo Marine Park) and the temperate south (east of Cape Leeuwin) so both tropical and temperate species occur here. Along the eastern boundary of the Indian Ocean the Leeuwin Current carries warm water along this coast from the equator to the southern coast.
Flora and fauna
The park includes sea lion and seabird breeding areas along with temperate reefs populated by the temperate and tropical plants and animals supported by the warm Leeuwin current. In the extensive seagrass meadows western rock lobsters serve as nursery areas.Whales migrate each year along the western coast of Australia and visitors can see the incredible variety of marine life found in the waters off Jurien Bay's coast as well as having the opportunity to interact with seals, sea lions and dolphins - go swimming, snorkelling, scuba diving, fishing, and exploring the offshore reefs and islands.
The Jurien Bay Marine Park is administered by the Marine Parks and Reserves Authority and managed by the Department of Environment and Conservation in partnership with the local community. The Department of Fisheries continues to manage commercial and recreational fishing and aquaculture in the marine park in close cooperation with the Department of Environment and Conservation. The town of Jurien Bay boasts a modern boat harbour, which has become the focus for the expanding aquaculture industry.
- "Jurien Bay Marine Park". protectedplanet.net.
- Western Australia. Dept. of Conservation and Land Management; Western Australia. Marine Parks and Reserves Authority (2000), Indicative management plan for the proposed Jurien Bay Marine Park, The Dept, retrieved 29 June 2012
- Olejnik, C. A; Western Australia. Dept. of Conservation and Land Management. Marine Conservation (2001), Review of public submissions : Jurien Bay Marine Park, Dept. of Conservation & Land Management, retrieved 29 June 2012
- Western Australia. Dept. of Conservation and Land Management; Western Australia. Marine Parks and Reserves Authority (2005), Analysis of public submissions to the indicative management plan for the proposed Jurien Bay Marine Park, CALM, retrieved 29 June 2012
- Jurien Bay Marine Park Brochure. Depts of Conservation & Fisheries. Information Guide Accessed: 2011-06-16
- Blue Region Tourism Organisation Inc. Accessed: 2011-06-16