Carl Valdemar Jussi Henry Adler-Olsen (born August 2, 1950) is a Danish author who, after following several different courses of study and engaging in various professions, embarked on his literary career with two books about Groucho Marx in 1984. His bestsellers include the thriller Alfabethuset (Alphabet House) (1997) and, most recently, The Marco Effect (2012).
Born in Copenhagen, he was the youngest of four children and the only boy. Son of the successful sexologist and psychiatrist Henry Olsen, he spent his childhood with his family in several mental hospitals across Denmark. In his late teens, he played in a couple of pop groups as lead guitarist. After graduating from the state school in Rødovre, he studied medicine, sociology and film making. In the late 1970s, he worked in various areas of publishing including cartoon-scripting, proof-reading and editing.
In 1980, he embarked on the compilation of Denmark's first cartoon encyclopedia, Komiklex, which he completed in 1985. He went on to write two books about Groucho Marx (1984–1985). Then he was an independent publisher 1983-1989 as owner, publisher and editor-in-chief publishing a range of non fiction and fiction titles. In 1989, he published Fred på tryk, the only widely quoted Danish bibliography on literature dealing with peace and security.
His first successful novel, Alfabethuset (The Alphabet House), followed in 1997. It tells the story of two British pilots on a secret mission who are shot down in Germany during World War II. It was followed in 2002 by Firmaknuseren/Og hun takkede guderne (The Company Basher), a thriller set in The Netherlands and in Indonesia in which a Dutch specialist in destroying large corporations is threatened to bring down an oil company.
In 2006, Washington Dekretet (The Washington Decree) begins with the assassination of the American President's wife on the very eve of an American presidential election. Following that the country is turned into disastrous events.
His first novels in the crime-thriller series about Department Q include: Kvinden i buret (The Woman in the Cage, UK title: Mercy, US title The Keeper of Lost Causes) published in 2007 Fasandræberne (The Pheasant Killers, UK title: Disgrace, US title The Absent One) published in 2008. Flaskepost fra P (Message in a Bottle, UK title: Redemption, US title A Conspiracy of Faith) published in 2009 Journal 64 published in 2010 Marco Effekten (The Marco Effect) published in 2012
All are set in Denmark where they enhanced his popularity, appearing at the top of bestseller lists.
Adler-Olsen's novels have been sold in 35 languages including China, Germany, Japan, The Netherlands, Russia, Spain, Sweden, the UK, and the US. In Germany he has enjoyed particular success, becoming 2012's most popular author (German authors included) with five titles on Amazon DE's top 10 list over crime novels sold in 2012. Adler-Olsen's books have been on the bestseller lists in numerous other countries including Austria, Iceland, Norway not to mention The New York Times Paperback bestseller list.  
Works by Jussi Adler-Olsen:
- Groucho: …en Marx Brother bag facaden (in Danish). Valby, Denmark: Donna. 1985. ISBN 978-87-88287-06-6.
- Videocounter (in Danish). Valby, Denmark: Donna. 1985. ISBN 978-87-88287-02-8.
- Alfabethuset (in Danish). Copenhagen, Denmark: Cicero. 1997. ISBN 978-87-7714-260-4.
- Firmaknuseren (in Danish). Copenhagen, Denmark: Lademanns Forlag. 2002. ISBN 978-87-567-8958-5.
- Firmaknuseren - later editions published by Politiken Og Hun Takkede Guderne (in Danish). Copenhagen, Denmark: Egmont Bogklubberne. 2003. ISBN 978-87-632-0237-4.
- Washington dekretet (in Danish). Copenhagen, Denmark: Aschehoug. 2006. ISBN 978-87-11-29222-8.
- Kvinden i buret (in Danish). Copenhagen, Denmark: Politiken. 2007. ISBN 978-87-567-8396-5.; English translation: The Keeper of Lost Causes (US), Mercy (UK), 2011
- Fasandræberne (in Danish). Copenhagen, Denmark: Politiken. 2008. ISBN 978-87-567-8727-7.; English translation: The Absent One (US), Disgrace (UK), 2012
- Flaskepost fra P. (in Danish). Copenhagen, Denmark: Politiken. 2009. ISBN 978-87-7065-539-2.; English translation: A Conspiracy of Faith (US), Redemption (UK), 2013
- Journal 64 (in Danish). Copenhagen, Denmark: Politiken. 2010. ISBN 978-87-567-9545-6.
- Små Pikante Drab published in the book Liv for Liv (in Danish). Copenhagen, Denmark: Politiken. 2011. ISBN 978-87-567-9791-7.
- Marco Effekten (in Danish). Copenhagen, Denmark: Politiken. ISBN 978-87-567-9906-5.
Works in English translation:
- Kvinden i buret
- published in the UK as Mercy — (2011). Mercy. translated by Lisa Hartford. London: Penguin. ISBN 978-0-14-139996-6. OCLC 698332240.
- published in the United States as The Keeper of Lost Causes — (2011). The Keeper of Lost Causes. translated by Lisa Hartford. New York: Dutton. ISBN 978-0-525-95248-0. OCLC 703207340.
- Flaskepost fra P
- published in the UK as Redemption — (2013). Redemption. translated by Martin Aitken, Translation consultant: Steve Schein. London: Penguin. ISBN 978-0141399997.
- published in the United States as A Conspiracy of Faith — (2013). A Conspiracy of Faith. translated by Martin Aitken, Translation consultant: Steve Schein. New York: Dutton. ISBN 978-0525954002.
Westfälisches Landestheater . in cooperation with Sabrina Ullrich has created a theater play based on ''Kvinden i Buret''. It premiered in Castrop-Rauxel on October 19, 2013.
- 2010 - Harald Mogensen prize for Flaskepost fra P. Awarded by The Danish Academy of Crime for Best Danish Crime Fiction.
- 2010 - Glass Key award 2010 for Flaskepost fra P. Awarded by the Scandinavian Crime Society (Skandinaviska Kriminalsällskapet).
- 2010 - Læsernes Bogpris, Berlingske Tidende (for Flaskepost fra P). Very prestigious Danish national newspaper. The award is given for all books, not for a sub category.
- 2011 - De Gyldne Laurbær 2011 for Journal 64. Awarded by the Society of Booksellers in Denmark. 
- 2012 - Krimi Blitz Award 2011 for Flaskepost fra P. Awarded by Krimi-couch.de on the basis of reader's vores.
- 2012 - Danskernes Yndlingsforfatter (Bog & Ide). The favourite author of the year in Denmark 2011 as a result of a vote among readers carried out by the bookseller chain Bog & Ide.
- 2012 - The Sealed Room Award 2012 awarded in Japan. Given by The Sealed Room Club.
- 2012 - Grand prix des lectrices de Elle in the category Policier 2012 awarded in France Kvinden i Buret - in French Misericorde.
- 2012 - The Barry Award Best Novel of 2012 for Kvinden i Buret - in US The Keeper of Lost Causes.
- 2012 - Shortlisted to “Der Leserpreis – die besten Buecher 2012“. (became no. 7). It is the biggest audience book award in the German-speaking area. Readers nominate their favourite books for the annual Leserpreis.
- 2013 - Danskernes Yndlingsforfatter (Bog & Ide) 2012. The favourite author of the year in Denmark 2013 as a result of a vote among readers carried out by the bookseller chain Bog & Ide.
- 2013 - Årets Lydbog for Flaskepost for P (Sweden). Swedish award for best audio book of the year for Q3.
- 2013 - Prix Plume du Thriller international (France). Prix Plume du Thriller international pour son roman Miséricorde – first place, which is called “Plume d’or”.
- 2013 - Nominated to the 2013 International IMPAC DUBLIN Literary Award
- 2013 - Prix des Lecteurs catégorie Polar (France) - awarded by Le Livre de Poche
- 2013 - Martha Prisen 2013 (Bog & Ide - Denmark) - the favourite author of the year in Denmark 2013 as a result of a vote among readers carried out by the bookseller chain Bog & Ide.
- 2013 - Nominated to Lovely Books "Leserpreis Die Besten Bücher 2013" (Germany)
- "Biography" (in Danish). Jussialderolsen.dk. Retrieved 3 May 2010.
- "International Fiction Bestsellers". Publishing Trends 10 (6). June 2003. Retrieved 12 September 2011.
- Jensen, Ulf Joel (28 July 2006). "I've got the whole World…" (in Danish). Sentura. Retrieved 3 May 2010.
- "Amazon.de's crime bestsellers".
- Marianne Krogh Andersen, "Digtsamlingen ligger i skrivebordsskuffen", Weekendavisen, 20 April 2012. (Danish)
- http://westfaelisches-landestheater.de/repertoire/++/produktion_id/362//. Text "Link til Westfälisches Landestheater" ignored (help); Missing or empty
- Olsen, Mette (19 June 2010). "Jussi Adler-Olsen vinder krimipris [Jussi Adler-Olsen detective novel wins award]". Politiken (in Danish). Retrieved 6 August 2010.
- "Jussi Adler-Olsen vinder De Gyldne Laurbær [Jussi Adler-Olsen wins Golden Laurels]" (in Danish). Danish Broadcasting Corporation News. 27 January 2011. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "Awarded by Krimi-couch.de".